“Character, Location and Service”

Hotel Griffon - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #26 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Character, Location and Service”
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I stayed here for two nights with my family over last September. We chose this location because it was only two blocks from my firm's San Francisco office in the Embarcadero Center, which allowed me to spend a few hours getting in some work in the morning while they slept in. However, we would stay here again even with no business obligations. Upon arrival, the desk clerk offered to upgrade us from a no-view suite to a spacious Bay-view suite on the top floor. My son was particularly excited when he discovered that this also included a bird's eye of the electric trolley line. My wife and I loved being so close to the ferry building and the surrounding market -- lots of things to see without feeling quite as touristy as Ghiradelli Square or Fisherman's Wharf. The only negative is that it is REALLY difficult to get a cab right outside the hotel. The staff are really helpful in this regard, but it is easier to walk a couple of blocks down to Market Street.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank kazkey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Arizona
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in January. The hotel is in a great location close to the Embarcaedro and the Financial District. The hotel is a small boutique type hotel, not a good hotel for familes, but perfect for those on business or couples.

The hotel room was small, but had all of the needed ammenities. It appeared the hotel was recently renovated. The bed was awesome.

The elevator is very small and slow, but this is expected due to the age of the building.

The hotel staff was awesome and easily took care of bag storage and airport transporation. They offer a free towncar shuttle in the mornings to different areas of the Financial District.

The hotel is located very close to the Bart station as well as numerious restaurants.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank perryfamilyAZ
Hildesheim, Germany
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Stayed there last week, the hotel is nicely located close to Embarcadero and the Financial District. Friendly staff, authentic interior, nice restaurant.
They have some nice rooms with bay view. However, there are other rooms... I had one with two small tinted glass windows facing to a pit within the building. Two floors down, the exhauster from the kitchen runs very noisy 24/7, so you have noise plus the kitchen smelling. The roof is some two floors up, it's hard to tell if it's day or night in that room.
Would have asked for a different room, but we had some guests at the same time and I left the good rooms to them.
The hotel is to be recommended, but you have to ensure that you get a room facing the street or the bay!

Room Tip: By all means, check for a room facing street or bay!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Meisterjaeger
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Hotel Griffon. We sincerely appreciate you patronage and for taking the time to write a review regarding you stay. Thank you for recognizing the friendliness of our staff, as we are always striving to provide our guests with exceptional service. As for your hotel room, The Hotel Griffon’s historic architecture and charm offers a variety of room layouts and views and we are sorry your room did not meet your expectations. We hope you will return to the Hotel Griffon and enjoy a room similar to the one you so graciously set aside for your guests.

Hotel Griffon Management and Staff
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I stayed here with my wife over a weekend in December and it was perfect! Matt Swenson was most helpful during the reservation process. The location cannot be beat. We had a GREAT view of the bay bridge and directly across the street from the Ferry Building, where foodies gather for pretty much anything you desire! Service was spot on and the property was a lot nicer than we thought it would be from the web -- a pleasant surprise to say the least!

Room Tip: Bay view rooms!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JordanPelaez
Trinidad
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I spent three days at the Griffon Hotel in October with about 15 professional colleagues. The Griffon has an awesome history and story and its location in the Bay area, in the heart of everything, makes it a popular place to stay.

On first appearances the hotel, its distinct style (oriental impressions) and trendy, unpretentious vibe is indeed a winner, even if it is small. On closer inspection though, things start to crop up that make you reconsider whether this place is worth the money;

First thing- The hotel's front doors are always open. Trust me Brothers and Sisters, this is NOT a good idea; the smell of sewerage from the street invades the lobby and lingers around like an unwanted guest. What is even worse is the fact that the hotel's restaurant is right beside the lobby. Imagine getting a whiff of that as you sip your pinot and dig into your 'Catch Of The Day'...yummmmmmm.

Second- The rooms are small, as in, you literally cannot swing a cat in there (though beautifully designed) and poorly ventilated. The carpets smell musty and the window seat looks a little worn out and it sits above the super loud AC unit.

Third- I dont know about anyone else, but my window (on the third floor) was facing what i think was the fire escape (the window was foggy and made with that thick textured glass makes everything outside look all distorted like). So in addition to having no view, I also had no natural light coming into my room. I'm telling you, i would leave my room at around 8am, thinking it was gloomy outside because it was so dark in there. Imagine my surprise when i noticed that it was sunny outside!

The interior designer here was a clever one because to counter the gloom in the room, they installed an artificial 'natural light' just above the bed, to make dim wits like me feel like it was sunlight shining down from the heavens onto my face. Needless to say, when i discovered otherwise (i.e. a whole 5 minutes after coming into the room for the first time) i seriously was not impressed.

Fourth- The price was too high for such a small room, with musty carpets and no breakfast. I am especially cross about the no breakfast thing though. I am guessing, no, I am positive that guests at this hotel are actually paying for the location and the concept of awesomeness.

I will admit that from the looks of things, this hotel does have a certain charm to it, but i WILL NOT be caught paying this much for a hotel that clearly needs an upgrade, a facelift and some love.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank 100percentislandgirl
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent visit to the Hotel Griffon and for your candid comments. We are dismayed that you did not find the hotel a good value. Our historic waterfront property, dating back over 100 years, has some unique features that allow our visitors to encounter a truly San Francisco experience. Our location, being one block from the Ferry Building, combined with our warm and personal hospitality and superior design set us apart from the larger, more impersonal hotels and speaks to the heritage of our great city. We sincerely wish that your next visit to San Francisco will provide a more favorable experience and impression.

Hotel Griffon Management & Staff
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 7 November 2011

On the advice of fellow trip advisors, I asked for a view of the bay when I arrived at the hotel. The check-in clerk was happy to accomodate and this really made the stay. The room was very small, it had a king bed but I was traveling solo and it was a good thing, because I think two people in a room that size would have been very cramped. This is a good hotel to stay in for the location, it is close to the Ferry Building which has wonderful shops and food emporia and a farmer's market on the weekends. It is also walking distance to North Beach where I visited City Lights Bookstore and SOMA is close too where I visited the SFMOMA. The hotel has Perry's restaurant inside which is a very good restaurant. I enjoyed their chili immensely on a cold rainy day. Hotel staff provided great directions to and from the BART which cost me $6.80 each way to/from Oakland airport. That saved me a bundle over an estimated $60 taxi fare. The carpet in the room is a dark orange color and is just ugly and the people above me were a tad noisy. I should have complained about the noise but didn't so that is my fault. I'd say this is a great place to stay if you don't plan on spending much time in the room.

Room Tip: In addition to asking for a view of the bay, ask for a high floor. The hotel has 5 floors, I was on...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Stayed there 4 days in October 2011. Had a bayfront room, small but nice. Typically what you'd expect in this area. Area was great, close to F line cable cars which will get you everywhere else. View from room of Bay Bridge was fantastic. Staff was friendly. Only one issue- I awoke to a mouse on my night stand eating a granola bar I'd left there. Also realized that unusual noise I heard during night was a mouse dragging a sticky trap to free himself. Ruined a good stay.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank RealUSCfan
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent visit to the Hotel Griffon. Our deepest apologies for the incident that negatively affected your stay. The issue is certainly not indicative of our standards and we can assure you that the problem is being resolved. We have been working with the building next door, which is in transition between restaurants, to eradicate the issue. We appreciate your feedback and hope that you will consider the Hotel Griffon for future travels to San Francisco.

Hotel Griffon Management and Staff