“Good Location - Nice Hotel”

Hotel Griffon - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #21 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 June 2009

Good hotel stay - rooms are quite nice and up to date. Hotel has a lot of character to it. Very centrally located in S.F. Close to restaurants and was only a 20-25 min walk to either the ball park or Pier 39. Hotel was good value for the money. Parking was expensive but not much you can do about that as parking seems to be expensive everywhere in the city. Unfortunately our room had a view of the back alley fire escape, but the room itself was nice. The restaurant downstairs (Perry's) was pretty good. It served a decent continental breakfast. Has a nice view of the Embarcadero. Hotel also provided complimentary internet usage. One negative is that the bellhop service was a somewhat chaotic. Eventually had to go downstairs and bring my own bags up to the room as I was tired of waiting. Overall, it was a good stay

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 May 2009

This is a nice hotel with a boutique style. My wife and I got a top room with a view of the bay and the Bay Bridge. The room was very nice and clean. The location was great because it is right on the water (The Embarcadero) which allowed us to walk the water front one day, catch the ferry, and then walk to Union Square the next day. Some part of the hotel was under some renovation at the time, but I could tell they were doing some very nice things to make the place even better. Also, there is a nice restaurant downstairs where we would get a nice breakfast before starting are walking tour around the city. I would recommend to anyone looking for a nice place to stay with personal service.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2009

Years ago, my partner and I stayed here during our wedding weekend. We loved it. So, in a return trip to SF for work, we stayed there. I think if we had gotten a bigger room and not gone for the great discount we may not have been so disappointed. But, basically, we got woken up at 4 AM by loud revelers (coming up from the bar to their room), the parking is still outrageous ($44/night), the staff always seemed overwhelmed, etc. Our small room was always too hot (nothing they could do, just bad design: a heat lamp in the bathroom was the only adequate light, the window didn't open), and the blankets were always slipping off the bed. So, despite the large flat screen, fridge in room, nice toiletries, decent shower, etc. I don't think we'll stay here again. Too many other options in SF to warrant it.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank AandN
Reviewed 6 April 2009

I have stayed at the Griffon on several occasions and have always had a pleasant experience. The greatest asset of the hotel is it's location. You are right next to the Embarcadero and can easily walk to the Ferry building and several great restaurants and bars in the area. Perry's, located right inside the Griffon, is an attraction itself. When I leave the hotel in the evening I often find a line of people waiting to be seated. I have only had breakfast and happy hour at Perry's, but I'm looking forward to eating there sometime.

The service at the hotel has been very good every time I've stayed. The rooms are not the biggest, but they are fine for my purposes, and tastefully decorated with a flat screen t.v. I have stayed in a suite once, and that was very nice.

Overall, this is a great hotel for the price and will provide a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2009

I took my girlfriend in to the city for a quiet 4 day weekend to celebrate by return to the Bay Area from 10 years in the Army. A friend hooked me up with the Griffon, and it was the perfect place to stay. It had been a long time since I spent any time in SF and I remembered that neighborhood as being baron and not so fun. Turns out that the Griffon is in the center of a rebuilt hot-spot on the eastern side of the city. Quick walk to the ball park, nightlife and down town. The Hotel it self is small and not very assuming, but what it lacks in size it make up for in comfort and design. The rooms are small (as most city hotels are), but it was excellently designed and functional. Exposed brick and a great layout made it feel like I was in a much larger room. My stay was extremely comfortable and quiet and the staff went out of there way to point out cool places to visit in the area. Now that I live in DC, and travel to NY on business frequently, I stay in tones of boutique hotels. Few of the ones I've stayed in had the comfort and the quality that I had at the Griffon.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2009

We were very pleased with our stay at the Hotel Griffon. The property and neighborhood were charming. They call the area Restaurant Row because of the many top rated restaurants nearby. I do not know why they settled for Perry's - YUCK!!! Cheap food as well as cheap service. They say, "You get what you paid for." The hotel in itself was as elegant as the pictures are shown in their websites. The front desk staff was amazingly attentive. I returned late during my nights out on the weekends and still was greeted by the most friendliest night staff, Phillip.
I highly recommend the hotel but unfortunately do not recommend the CHEAP restaurant. Breakfast service was horrible.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2009

We had a wonderfully modern room with a flat screen TV. Staff was great, great bar and resturant downstairs. The location is really close to downtown SF and all attractions.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends