“The Hotel Griffon is a charming boutique hotel.”
Review of Hotel Griffon

Hotel Griffon
Ranked #27 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“The Hotel Griffon is a charming boutique hotel.”
Reviewed 10 July 2009

The Hotel Griffon is a lovely place to stay when visiting San Francisco. Located on the Embarcadero, it provides a panoramic view of the Bay. There is a lively restaurant/bar located next to the lobby, where people meet in the late afternoon. The location of the hotel is especially suited for people who like to walk, jog, or bike along the waterway. We took a long walk all the way down to Fisherman's Wharf from the hotel. It was delightful! Also, there are excellent restaurants just steps from the hotel, and of course, all the famous places of San Francisco are at your doorstep.

Our room was cozy and perfect for us. It had the feeling of a European hotel. The large bed was ultra comfortable and we appreciated the room's refrigerator where we were able to keep a leftover salad. Also, it was surprisingly quiet, even though it overlooks San Francisco Bay. We slept very well.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. In short, we highly recommend the hotel Griffon for a place to stay when visiting San Francisco.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lloydbtc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Delaware
Reviewed 4 July 2009

Horrible experience with Travelocity. Reserved 3 night. When arrived at hotel reception they had canceled my reservation same day. No previous notice. My credit card charged and had no reservation. Talking to them. Sorry, sorry, waist of time. Will refund my money. Just avoid Travelocity. Hotel Griffon contribution. Offering me just one night in an smaller room for a higher price. I was touch. What a customer focus, what a wiliness to help. No thanks. When at test people show their real style.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank argos01
Sonora, California
Reviewed 1 July 2009

The staff was very warm and welcoming, and the location was ideal for our trip. A few issues with the room, nicely decorated but not well thought out in terms of function. The can light above the sink gave excellent exposure to the top of my head. That in combination with the mirror witch was almost above the sink made it impossible to shave. The television received only local stations with tolerable quality. Lastly, the ventilation was bad. The air supplied was air conditioned, so either cold or suffocated.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 17 June 2009

Good hotel stay - rooms are quite nice and up to date. Hotel has a lot of character to it. Very centrally located in S.F. Close to restaurants and was only a 20-25 min walk to either the ball park or Pier 39. Hotel was good value for the money. Parking was expensive but not much you can do about that as parking seems to be expensive everywhere in the city. Unfortunately our room had a view of the back alley fire escape, but the room itself was nice. The restaurant downstairs (Perry's) was pretty good. It served a decent continental breakfast. Has a nice view of the Embarcadero. Hotel also provided complimentary internet usage. One negative is that the bellhop service was a somewhat chaotic. Eventually had to go downstairs and bring my own bags up to the room as I was tired of waiting. Overall, it was a good stay

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 26 May 2009

This is a nice hotel with a boutique style. My wife and I got a top room with a view of the bay and the Bay Bridge. The room was very nice and clean. The location was great because it is right on the water (The Embarcadero) which allowed us to walk the water front one day, catch the ferry, and then walk to Union Square the next day. Some part of the hotel was under some renovation at the time, but I could tell they were doing some very nice things to make the place even better. Also, there is a nice restaurant downstairs where we would get a nice breakfast before starting are walking tour around the city. I would recommend to anyone looking for a nice place to stay with personal service.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Bay Area, CA but now living in the
Reviewed 9 April 2009

Years ago, my partner and I stayed here during our wedding weekend. We loved it. So, in a return trip to SF for work, we stayed there. I think if we had gotten a bigger room and not gone for the great discount we may not have been so disappointed. But, basically, we got woken up at 4 AM by loud revelers (coming up from the bar to their room), the parking is still outrageous ($44/night), the staff always seemed overwhelmed, etc. Our small room was always too hot (nothing they could do, just bad design: a heat lamp in the bathroom was the only adequate light, the window didn't open), and the blankets were always slipping off the bed. So, despite the large flat screen, fridge in room, nice toiletries, decent shower, etc. I don't think we'll stay here again. Too many other options in SF to warrant it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank AandN
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 6 April 2009

I have stayed at the Griffon on several occasions and have always had a pleasant experience. The greatest asset of the hotel is it's location. You are right next to the Embarcadero and can easily walk to the Ferry building and several great restaurants and bars in the area. Perry's, located right inside the Griffon, is an attraction itself. When I leave the hotel in the evening I often find a line of people waiting to be seated. I have only had breakfast and happy hour at Perry's, but I'm looking forward to eating there sometime.

The service at the hotel has been very good every time I've stayed. The rooms are not the biggest, but they are fine for my purposes, and tastefully decorated with a flat screen t.v. I have stayed in a suite once, and that was very nice.

Overall, this is a great hotel for the price and will provide a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends