“Absolutely amazing hotel in a fantastic location - Great views, accommodations, service and value”

Hotel Griffon - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #21 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 December 2010

What a fabulous hotel! My husband and I stayed for a romantic SF weekend in this adorable boutique hotel and absolutely loved it! It was clean, completely updated/renovated, large rooms with VIEWS! Our room had the sleeping area, plus a seating area, AND had an unobstructed view of the SF bay, bay bridge, Treasure Island, across the bay...everything! We could not believe it! Bathroom was large and modern. The staff was so nice and friendly - we met the head manager Norbert (super nice guy) and all the staff was helpful in giving suggestions, offering free coffee in the am, and making us feel so special (for us, this is one of the big benefits of staying at a smaller, more personal hotel vs. a huge hotel). If you go, you don't want to miss walking to the SF Ferry Building's HUGE Farmer's Market. From the hotel, you can literally walk and all over SF. Also, you should have dinner at Chaya Restaurant (literally less than 1/2 block walk). Delicious food, shopping, excellent hotel, and spectacular views galore all at a great price - what else could you ever want?!

Reviewed 10 December 2010

I stayed here one night on a business trip. It's in a great location, right on the Embarcadero. The front desk staff is beyond friendly and helpful....in fact, the concierge ran down the street to hail us a cab! The room was tiny, but adequate for my purposes. The walls are a little thin and you can hear a bit of hallway noise, but overall I really enjoyed my stay. The chocolates on the pillow were a nice touch!

Make sure to ask for a room with a view...I ended up looking into an alley way. My colleague had a great view of the bay, though!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 December 2010

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Griffon the weekend after Thanksgiving for a wedding we were going to in San Francisco. I would highly recommend this hotel. The service was great and check-in was speedy. The bed was comfortable and the room very clean. Great location too! We were able to walk to Union Square, only about 3/4 or so miles away. The only complaint is there were no robes in the room. I figure if that's the worst of my complaints (an easy fix... hint, hint Hotel Griffon... =), then this hotel is doing something right.

Reviewed 8 December 2010

I’ve stayed here a dozen times this year and highly recommend it! The location is ideal and the staff are wonderful from the minute you get out of your car to check out. This old quaint San Francisco Hotel is historic & cozy, but offers all the latest amenities one could want, from high speed internet to flat screen TV’s, etc….I’ve had rooms with beautiful views of the Bay Bridge & the Ferry building or ones with spacious outside decks. If you have business in the City or just want to enjoy a weekend in San Francisco…..the Hotel Griffon is the place to stay!

Reviewed 8 December 2010

I have now stayed at the Hotel Griffon four times and each time I am more amazed at the hotel and the service of the employees. I was most recently there to attend a conference with my law firm colleagues and I chose the Hotel Griffon over many other landmark hotels because of its proximity to both the Financial District and AT&T Park (where the Giants were busy winning the World Series!).

My room overlooked the San Francisco Bay and was just spectacular. Very clean and neat and had everything I needed. The staff was extremely accomodating, including finding me a cell phone charger after I lost my own. I was even given access to a wonderful Board room that allowed me to get work done while waiting to meet colleagues at the equally magnificent Perry's restaurant downstairs.

I love that it is so close to everything but still has a small boutique hotel feel. The restaurant is really an added plus but mainly I just can't say enough about the service. Everyone was so friendly and made me really appreciate San Francisco in general.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to friends and colleagues. It really has everything I could have asked for.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 December 2010

I don't often take time to write a review but my family and I had an amazing stay at the Griffon. This is a charming top drawer hotel. I travel extensively around the world for business and liesure and know the subtleties that make a difference between a 4 star and 5 star experience. The staff were extremely helpful but not annoying, the rooms where reasonable size with high ceilings, amazing views of the bay. Location was prefect for business or leisure. Near down town, but right near Marina. The day for the family included a bike ride along the marina, pier 39, a ride to golden gate bridge, hot fudge sundays at Ghirardelli Square then an evening play within walking distance of the Hotel. Before check out the next morning I walked to Coit Tower too! Awesome time, thank you for the FIve Star experience Hotel Griffin!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 December 2010

Stayed at property while in area on business. Room was sent up nicely with plenty of space at the desk area and wireless internet to due my work. Beds were very comfy and it was quiet all night for a good night sleep. Property is very eco-friendly right down to the bath room amenities (love the soap with the hole in the middle). I travel and stay at various hotels on the west coast twice a month and would recommend this hotel as one of the best. The staff is wonderful, friendly and very helpful with any needs, and the turn down service is a nice touch. This is my go to hotel for the Bay area and my "Home away from Home".

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business