The Inn San Francisco
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Tropica(San Francisco)
Kailash Hotel(San Francisco)
View Hotel
Twin Peaks Hotel(San Francisco)
View Hotel
Beck's Motor Lodge(San Francisco)
  • Breakfast included
Civic Center Motor Inn(San Francisco)
  • Breakfast included
San Francisco Inn(San Francisco)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmission districthot tubb brooftop deckfresh fruitvictorian decorvalencia streetdrawing roomfeather bedvan nessa wonderful place to stayhome away from homebreakfast buffetother guestshard boiled eggscommon areasbart station
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 February 2013

This is a really delightful place. Charming reception, beautiful rooms, if you like deep Victorian styling, with lace curtains, cushions and,various knicknacks. Where there isn't room for a bathroom, a footed bath in the room. Breakfast is great, with a wonderful quiche and a lovely array of fruits, eaten in the livingroom downstairs on a variety of perches. Our bedroom was comfy, if cold, but it was December....Uninteresting bit of Mission, but so what?

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank phillip_stjames
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I stayed here in November of 2011 and had a blast! My boyfriend surprised me with a trip to San Francisco and we stayed here. As soon as we arrived, Marty was so welcoming. He saw my boyfriend and I and said he'd never seen such love in a young couple and he upgraded us to the best room they had available for free and gave us a tour of the property. It was very generous! Our room was spectacular. I was so overwhelmed with how beautiful it was. The decor was vintage and classy and I wanted to live there. They have a cute little hot tub out back and lots of beautiful pictures in the halls. Breakfast was great and they had vegetarian options. At night we sat in the living area and had a cup of hot chocolate and played chess together. It was a great and relaxing getaway.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ohheytherejessica
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Our experience of 2 nights stay at The Inn other than its charming place and great breakfast, was the hospitality of the innkeepers. These little ladies were very attentive and so willing to make our stay the most pleasant ones. They took care of our parking, laundry and even offer us nightcap when we came back late one night. The wifi was good and we could easily use our notebook to search for the attractions and plan our trip.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank asianchef
Reviewed 11 January 2013

My husband and I spent 5 amazing days at the Inn. Marty is a true character and Linda is so sweet. I miss you guys. I'm really hoping to come back soon. Marty receives every guest with such hospitality, shows all the pictures and tells you about the great fire. The mansion is really gobsmacking. I would go by the rooms trying to sneak how they looked like, they're all so different and cute. You almost feel like a princess.
The breakfast was one of the best I've ever had.
They also give you a list with the 80 best restaurants in the Mission.
They made my trip totally worth it.
Loved the Mission and I truly loved SF!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LucianaMC
Reviewed 5 January 2013

This place is lovely and we agree with all the things said previously. We stayed for 4 nights in a spacious queen room, which was at the front of the building (rm 21).

Our room had plenty of space, with a couch and 2 chairs, along with the usual other items. The bathroom was quite small, but quite understandable. Shower was hot with good pressure and the usual toiletries.

Megan and Liza were unbelievably friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. On arrival we had a personal tour of the building and amenities, our bags were carried up for us and we were lent a local tourist book from their library. Nothing was too much to ask.

We enjoyed having the run of the place, including the back yard, parlour and sitting room. We played Scrabble, tickled the piano keys, explored, read the paper, had a cuppa and chatted with other guests, and soaked up the view from the rooftop terrace. It was really homely and friendly, and looked extremely well appointed, including the most beautiful proliferation of orchids and fresh flowers. The rooms, including our bedroom were quite ‘austere’ (dark), with dim lighting, made more atmospheric by candles. The décor is very appropriate for the building and the period.

Within our room at the front, the noise from the street was pretty quiet at night, fairly busy in the day, absolutely as expected for a street-facing room. The Inn is really well located for transport, on the bus lines for routes 14 and 49. These were fine to get us wherever we needed, especially with a 3 day Muni pass. We also walked to the Bart, about 4 blocks. The Inn has its own maps and the staff are really familiar with the bus routes and local attractions. We believe they can tell you anything you need to know.

There are some very interesting restaurants within a short distance. We tried some great food. The neighbourhood is deep Mexican residential. There is a fair amount of homelessness and unemployment in the area which we witnessed. I felt unsafe at times, but I think it was more imagination than reality. We never actually experienced (or heard about) anything untoward (even walking past the guy writing graffiti). There are a couple of local corner shops. I used the Laundromat which is almost diagonally across the road, but apparently the Inn has laundry facilities. That’s the one question I hadn’t asked the staff.

There are a few reasons for not giving 5/5. The windows in our room opened onto the street, but the timber has seen better days and can’t support catches or locks (no security). Housekeeping liked to open the windows when they made up the room, but we didn’t feel secure, so made sure we closed them again. The blinds have seen better days and some don’t work anymore, which can impact on your sleep. The last thing that impacted on our sleep was one of the Inn’s features – the feather mattress. It lumps in the middle, leaving you less than half a bed to sleep in, and making a bit of a hill so you’re tipped to the edge of the bed. It took us 3 nights to work out that it’s actually a feather-filled mattress topper. We removed it on the last night and had a much better night’s sleep. It’s a real shame because if I were alone in the bed it would be such a lovely, cosy, soft sleeping experience. Just not with 2 people in the bed. Perhaps it would benefit from being channelled (segregated squares sewn into it). The quiche that so many rave about is microwaved so it has a soggy bottom, but is still very tasty. Oh, and I would recommend that the yogurts at breakfast were kept in an ice bucket or similar – they got to room temperature and the next day were a bit lumpy.

Apart from all of that, I would not hesitate to recommend this place for an enjoyable ‘experience’. It’s not the Hilton - there is no lift, the stairs creak a bit, the décor is ‘vintage’, there’s no pool, or gym, (but there is a spa, garden and rooftop deck), and the breakfast seating arrangements are a bit haphazard (find a seat at the table, or use a TV dinner tray or balance your plate on your knee or standing up). But the staff are fantastic (including those ladies we only glimpsed but who kept our breakfast supplies coming), the proliferation of fresh fruit, candy, tea & coffee (with real milk, not powdered creamer) along with port and sherry is inviting and reassuring. It was a really pleasant friendly, homely stay.

Room Tip: Not surprisingly, a room away from the street will be quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple