“Love, Love, Love the Inn San Francisco”

The Inn San Francisco
Ranked #6 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 August 2008

The Inn San Francisco is a home away from home and one of the best places to stay while in San Fran. I frequently stay at the Inn because of my situation as a commutor and every time I stay it is a wonderful experience. The owner/inn keeper is the sweetest and kindest person you could ever meet. It has a wonderful decor, beautiful gardens, the breakfast is fabulous. The hotel is very clean and well maitained. The owner is very knowlegable on places of interest and things to do while visiting, he is also very friendly, caring and sincere.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank DesertFlower4ME
There are newer reviews for The Inn San Francisco

Reviewed 18 August 2008

The second we were greeted by Marty we immediately felt home
The BnB is a historic victorian house with spendid SF style vertical facade
The parlor is very nice and luxurious, dark and cozy, with high ceilings
and lots of velours and upholstery to absorb every reflecting sound.
The rooms are beautiful and each is diferent, with ancient Titanic
type furniture and antiques looking like nothing has changed
for over 100 years....When i washed my face i had to pre-mix the
water from the hot tap and the cold tap (made of beautiful shiny
brass) it felt like I was a 1850 pionneer taking a break in a luxury
hotel on my way to the gold rush
The bed was very compfortable and fluffy with duvet underneath
After many stairs I enjoyed the roof where there is a deck with 360deg
helicopter view to see the foggy city
There is also a cute garden equipped with a wooden hot tub but we
have not tried this due to fresh SF temperatures
The breakfast offers a wide variety of foods and drinks, more than
any BnB i've seen so far. In the evening many books are exhibited
near the piano to learn everything about the state, the big
Earthquake or Yosemite

On the negative side the location is not good. Before taking
off with the BART we walked up and down on mission and found
this area to be rather undesirable, a ran down immigrant area
with a lot of 'Mexican welfare recipients', homelesses or transients
reminding Tijuana or Los Angeles. The area become almost scary at night
There are better streets to walk around, like Valencia, with some trendy
bars, but we discovered this at the end (it would have been nice if this
tip was written on the hand annotated map they give)

In conclusion we had a nice stay in SF and this BnB. I recommend
this BnB to anyone
It is a blessing that the 1906 fires did not reach this house

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank edlosangeles
Reviewed 12 August 2008

The Inn by far exceeded anything I expected. It was the PERFECT place to bring my boyfriend on his first visit to SF. Super clean, quaint, charming, quirky and all those adjectives befitting a young couple/group of girlfriends/mother-daughter/etc.

I heard about the Inn through a friend of a friend as my boyfriend and I drove down from Seattle frantically trying to find a place to stay. We didn't get to see any pictures beforehand and everything else in town was surprisingly booked so I was a little nervous. But I knew it was going to be a hit when, as I was on the phone with the owner (Marty) reserving the room, he told me I'd "better show up with some good gossip!"

When we arrived we were absolutely floored. It's this beautiful old mansion in the heart of the Mission District with the nicest most personable staff ever. It has the cutest rooms (with jacuzzi bath tubs!). Everything in the place dates back to the late 1800s except the plasma cable tvs, which is kind of funny.

I could go on forever about this place. We were so happy with our stay. We were tight on money but Marty was happy to accommodate our desire to stay two extra nights and we were able to work it out. (Thanks Marty if you're reading this!)

Really nice array of breakfast foods! Don't stay here if you're one of those people who prefers corporate, [--] hotels with matching floor plans for every room (read: boring!). Stay here if you enjoy art, architecture, beauty, fun, and being surrounded by the best burritos you've ever had.

PS: Go to Taqueria Cancun for some late night Mexican food! It's right down the street but somehow it's not on Marty's restaurant map.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2008

My boyfriend and I spent 3 nights at the Inn recently and our stay at the Inn made our trip to San Francisco 10 times better than it would have been otherwise. We loved the Inn so much we wanted to move in! We even tried to postpone our flight and stay another night but sadly they were booked. The Inn is gorgeous, very clean, and Marty and the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. We walked to Union Square during the day (30-45 min), walked all over the city, took the trolley, and took cabs at night. The breakfast was delicious and we even brought a tray up to bed one lazy morning. We adored the parlor room, the sherry, the quaint garden and jacuzzi that we used several times, and the rooftop views of San Francisco are amazing! Our room was beautiful and spacious and sharing a bathroom wasn't even a big deal. All in all, we couldn't get enough of this place and have told everyone we know that they have to stay here the next time they are in San Francisco! We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jackiemorris79
Reviewed 6 August 2008

This place is not for everybody... do not think Queen Victoria (English) victorian, but more of an ecclectic Munster-like atmosphere... dark and dimmly lit, overly decored with dark colours.

I stayed at the Inn for 2 days, which for me was one day too many... one night was interesting, but the second night became more of a burden than a pleasure.

As I needed to "try out" the accomodations for a corporate event in Sept, I made a point on staying in 2 separate rooms, one for each night (one facing street, and the other facing rear).

The Inn is located on a main thoroughfare (very busy street). Ask for the rooms facing the rear. I wear earplugs at night and can sleep through a war, so for me it did not matter.

The rooms are large and irregularly shaped. The decor is ecclectic and there are knick-knacks everywhere (however, very clean, not dusty)... very dark and dim light in all of the common rooms.

The mattress was vintage San Francisco 1880... enough said.

Good breakfast... lots of fresh fruits and bakery items, fresh juice.

I ate the breakfast on one of the sofas and conversed with another one of the guests.

In summary, interesting for one night (just to look & see)... too expensive for more time... I found better (and sunnier) b&b's elsewhere in SF.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
5  Thank gentleman_from_nyc
Reviewed 11 July 2008

Date: July 11, 2008
Reviewer: Business Woman, Mom and Regular Traveler, Toronto, Canada
The Inn San Francisco truly exceeded all expectations. The Inn is just like walking into Edwardian or Victorian splendor. High ceilings, beautiful antique decor and very romantic. The rooms are spotlessly cleaned and presented with care and attention being paid to every last detail. The owner and the manager are lovely, friendly people who are very helpful and very accommodating. The breakfast buffet is scrumptious, the roof top patio view of San Francisco breathtaking, the hot tub and gardens relaxing and the wireless and cable services reliable. Access to public transportation is just around the corner. Everything is so luxurious but so comfortable. It's just like being at home except better. Everything at the Inn is so reasonable. Honestly, I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else whether on business or for pleasure whether traveling with colleagues, friends or family. A fabulous experience that I highly recommend to anyone looking for a great place to stay in San Francisco.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2008

This B&B is the best! EVERTHING about this place is just too perfect. Quiet & Romantic old San Francisco charm. The bed was very comfortable, the prices are reasonable, the staff is GREAT and they serve a nice breakfast with a huge stread.

Fred (manager) was very nice and gave us great directions around the city and helped us take advantage of city transportation. Marty (The Inn Keeper) was very friendly and warm. He made sure that we were very comfortable. He had family visiting and we got to meet them and visit with his niece Kathy who was a gem.

The rooms and the garden are very relaxing and I would recommend this B&B to everyone. You must go and see! Give Marty a great big hello from his new friends!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple