“Charming place in San Fran”
Review of Petite Auberge

Petite Auberge
Ranked #22 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Cork, Ireland
“Charming place in San Fran”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stayed here on honeymoon. Some squeaky floors and stairs in this older building but no complaints about anything else. Room might be a bit small and pokey for some but really it's enough for most, clean and quaintly comfy. Staff very nice. Breakfast very good. Free afternoon wine & snacks for guests. Located a short walk from Chinatown and the main shopping area. I'm sure we'd go straight back here if we were returning to San Francisco which we would love to do some day. Can't really think of much bad about the place other than that the view from the room was just of a wall of the next building but who's going to spend time in their room when Frisco is just outside the door! :) Wasn't too expensive either.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pandabat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Slovak first
Binche, Belgium
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I have been in SFO many times. I usually stop at brand hotel. I choose this one based on trip advisor. Very cosy, looks like home. I maybe bias I am into that king of country style deco. My room was small but nice, with a fireplace that put some winter ambience. The bed was good. All you need is there. Breakfast was nice. My only remark would be to upgrade the TV…That is sure, I am gonna come back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We had a great visit. Excellent stay. Great breakfast and wine & cheese. Close to Cable Car route can walk there. Would highly recommend staying at this San Francisco Inn in Nob Hill. Near to restaurants and lots of tourist attractions and shopping.

Room Tip: Note..no fitness center or swimming pool. It is in downtown San Francisco so I wouldn't expect s...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Molly C, Manager at Petite Auberge, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Dear Clyde P,
Thank you for taking the time to review us, and for again choosing Petite Auberge for your stay! The highest compliment we could ask for is the opportunity to make your upcoming stays in San Francisco special, and we hope to have you for many more.

Warm Regards,
Molly C
Operations Manager
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 November 2013

The room I stayed in was small but certainly large enough for me as a solo traveller. I think it would be suitable for a couple also if planning to spend the majority of your time out exploring the city. The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the inclusion of a sound machine to counteract the regular city noise from outside was appreciated. The room was not air-conditioned, which meant I kept the windows open (a personal preference).
The breakfast each day was lovely with some nice variety in the offerings. Afternoon cookies were also tasty.
I found the location to be reasonable. It is on the edge of the less desirable part of town, so some caution in wandering at night is advisable. I didn't have any issues, however.
The main contributing factor for the average review is the price - while possibly comparable for San Francisco, I feel that I've had better experiences in better locations in other cities, so don't feel this was great value for money for me.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank wwttrr_021
Placerville, California
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Needed a place to stay one night after my November 22 Van Morrison concert at the Masonic. This place was only a few blocks from the concert venue so that made it very convenient. I was extremely pleased with the service and the ambience I found at Petite Auberge. The cost of the room was more than I usually pay, but given the location it was really worth it . Unfortunately My wife had to be back at work later the next day, so it was with great reluctance that I left my cozy fireplace and extremely comfortable bed. The included breakfast was very nice and guests were friendly. I loved the old cage elevator and all employees were very helpful and made you feel welcome. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We had such a great experience at Petite Auberge 10 years ago that we brought two other couples here for a final night in San Francisco following a Napa trip. It is still as lovely as ever. Clean, uniquely homey rooms with fireplaces, with cookies, water and soda available, a great breakfast and a wine/cheese happy hour. As we got ready to leave Andy ran after us with my gold earrings in his hand - he said he was happy he caught us, the maid had found them in our room. Thanks Andy - my favorite earrings, I doubt I would still have them had I stayed anywhere else!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mndeb33
Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed 4 November 2013

A wonderful small European feel hotel in an ideal location. Just three blocks from Union Sq. And walking distance to North Beach. The staff could not be more friendly and the rooms are charming.The wine hour in the afternoon and the morning breakfasts take you right back to a small French hotel. We loved it!

Room Tip: Rooms 15 or 16 or the Petite Suite are the best ones!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple