“Utterly Charming”
Review of Petite Auberge

Petite Auberge
Ranked #25 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 29 December 2013

This small hotel in the heart of San Francisco is a little slice of country French style and pleasure. I stayed at this hotel many years ago and loved it. Last week I wanted to do something for my son and his wife so I bought them a room at this hotel. They raved about it when they came home. The staff is friendly, the hotel is utterly charming and the rooms are little bits of France. They offer a lovely full breakfast each morning and a wine and hors d’oeuvres each evening. It doesn’t offer the room service and work out rooms of the large hotels, it is just charming and romantic and wonderful.

Room Tip: Several rooms have fireplaces in them which adds to the romance.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tallguy92056
Rebecca L, General Manager at Petite Auberge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Dear tallguy92056,

I can't thank you enough for spreading the word about our charming oasis in the heart of the City! It is such a pleasure to hear that you and your family have enjoyed your stays at the Petite Auberge. On your next visit with us, please feel free to let us know if you are interested in exercising and we will make sure to set you up with gym passes. We work closely with a full-service fitness facility only 2 blocks away called Club One Fitness. I would be thrilled to welcome you all back and hope to have the pleasure to meeting you soon.

With much appreciation,
Rebecca

Reviewed 24 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at this lovely, charming boutique hotel, which is just perfect for being a short walk into the main shopping area, and chinatown. It was close enough to walk in to the city getting the tram, and just enjoying the wonderful sights. The rooms are all charmingly decorated with the most amazing roaring fire. Downstairs you can sit on big couches to enjoy the coffee, and cakes (snacks) that are provided for guests which was a nice touch after a busy day. The breakfast was nice each morning, with a homemade selection to choose from. Our room had no view, only a wall of the building next to us, but plenty to see when you're out and about. We booked two nights to start, which we paid for before we travelled, and decided to stay an extra night, which was much more expensive to do that way, And you pay to park your car, which is taken away to be parked, which was fine, as once you are there you don't need it. All in all loved the hotel, and would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2013

This hotel has a European feel. Very charming boutique hotel. The noise of the city did not bother me at all, and the house itself is pretty quiet. I came to SF on business and stayed here during the coldest week of December so the fireplace in the room was delightful. The bed was really comfortable and the room was cozy. Great breakfast each morning with home baked goodies. Enjoyed wine and appetizers in the afternoon. The staff was nice and very accomodating. I called the front desk for an iron and they were at my door within 5 minutes with an iron and board. The location is perfect. Short walk to cable car and down to market street. This is a quiet hotel with no swimming pool, recreation or restaurant so I wouldn't want to stay here if I were travelling with small children. However, it's so peaceful, I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank bluizeNewYork
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stayed here on honeymoon. Some squeaky floors and stairs in this older building but no complaints about anything else. Room might be a bit small and pokey for some but really it's enough for most, clean and quaintly comfy. Staff very nice. Breakfast very good. Free afternoon wine & snacks for guests. Located a short walk from Chinatown and the main shopping area. I'm sure we'd go straight back here if we were returning to San Francisco which we would love to do some day. Can't really think of much bad about the place other than that the view from the room was just of a wall of the next building but who's going to spend time in their room when Frisco is just outside the door! :) Wasn't too expensive either.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pandabat
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I have been in SFO many times. I usually stop at brand hotel. I choose this one based on trip advisor. Very cosy, looks like home. I maybe bias I am into that king of country style deco. My room was small but nice, with a fireplace that put some winter ambience. The bed was good. All you need is there. Breakfast was nice. My only remark would be to upgrade the TV…That is sure, I am gonna come back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We had a great visit. Excellent stay. Great breakfast and wine & cheese. Close to Cable Car route can walk there. Would highly recommend staying at this San Francisco Inn in Nob Hill. Near to restaurants and lots of tourist attractions and shopping.

Room Tip: Note..no fitness center or swimming pool. It is in downtown San Francisco so I wouldn't expect s...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Molly C, Manager at Petite Auberge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Dear Clyde P,
Thank you for taking the time to review us, and for again choosing Petite Auberge for your stay! The highest compliment we could ask for is the opportunity to make your upcoming stays in San Francisco special, and we hope to have you for many more.

Warm Regards,
Molly C
Operations Manager

Reviewed 30 November 2013

The room I stayed in was small but certainly large enough for me as a solo traveller. I think it would be suitable for a couple also if planning to spend the majority of your time out exploring the city. The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the inclusion of a sound machine to counteract the regular city noise from outside was appreciated. The room was not air-conditioned, which meant I kept the windows open (a personal preference).
The breakfast each day was lovely with some nice variety in the offerings. Afternoon cookies were also tasty.
I found the location to be reasonable. It is on the edge of the less desirable part of town, so some caution in wandering at night is advisable. I didn't have any issues, however.
The main contributing factor for the average review is the price - while possibly comparable for San Francisco, I feel that I've had better experiences in better locations in other cities, so don't feel this was great value for money for me.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo