“Cozy, Lovely Hotel”
Review of Petite Auberge

Petite Auberge
Ranked #26 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I recently stayed for six nights here during a business trip to San Francisco and I have absolutely zero complaints. The area is in a great location -- close enough to walk to the city financial center and the shops near Union Square Park, and also near many good restaurants and bars.

When they checked me into a "downstairs" room, I immediately cringed and asked for another, unsuccessfully. In the end, I loved my room, which though on the lower level, got a decent amount of sunlight.

The room was tastefully decorated and homey. The bed, big & comfortable. And I enjoyed the fireplace on a couple of chilly nights. While I was on the same floor as the kitchen and dining area, I was never bothered by any noise at all.

I never actually saw anyone at the front desk of this hotel, which was a little odd. But I never had to ask for anything either. Staff in the dining area at breakfast were courteous.

Although I was tempted to sample some of San Francisco's bakeries, I couldn't pass up the breakfast served each morning, which typically included an interesting egg dish (quiche, etc), pancakes or biscuits, sausage, fresh fruit, pastries, oatmeal, yogurt, cottage cheese, breads and jam. The variations kept it interesting and satisfying for the whole time I was at the hotel.

Petite also had an afternoon happy hour. I made it back to the room only a couple of times to enjoy a glass of wine, but I thought it was pretty good, as were the cookies in the lobby.

One additional perk I really appreciated was the complimentary water, sodas and coffee.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Thank you again for the great hospitality.. It is amazing after all these years staying at the Petite Auberge that we still love this property and will continue to return whenever we need an overnight in San Francisco. We have traveled all over the world and this is one of our favorite B & B's!

1  Thank Ujena
Reviewed 26 July 2014

My boyfriend and I live in Washington, D.C. and Sydney, Australia, respectively. We recently traveled to SF to decide whether or not to move there. Our last two nights were spent in the Petite Auberge, and I must say they were the most romantic and enjoyable nights we have had in. a while! The staff was excellent, the decor unbelievably antique chic, and the French music playing and complementary full breakfast and evening wine reception just hit the ball out of the park for us. Our room was perfect; decorated so beautifully and comfortably and we loved the fireplace! I intend on returning next time we get to SF!

2  Thank quinny86
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Pleasantly surprised. Charming, quaint hotel. Location is great, close to many activities and transportation. Rooms were clean and the bed was soft. Loved the breakfast and the evening wine happy hour.

1  Thank Yvette W
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This gem of a hotel is basically a b&b in the middle of busy San Fran. Between the complimentary manager's reception, the exceptional service, and quaint/romantic feel, there really is nowhere better.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed here recently, mixed views. On the positive side, the hotel offers a homely environment, pleasant guest area, and the complimentary evening drinks, nibbles were most appreciated and offered the chance to speak with fellow travellers. This is something that often is not feasible in larger hotels.

The old elevator was quaint and the inclusive breakfast adequate.

Reception staff were exceptionally helpful and attentive.

The location of the hotel is ok, a few blocks walk from Union Square and safe to walk at night.

On the minus side, room was very small but nonetheless comfortable, bathroom tiny, particularly shower.

A lot of street noise and very thin walls made sleeping a challenge.

Room Tip: Keep windows shut at night, not sure it would be possible to get a position that is not affected by...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WayneMarion
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Great location. Many attractions within walking distance. Good value. While the outside temperatures did not necessarily require it, the room was not air conditioned (I don't recall seeing this mentioned in the any reviews or descriptions). However, our room did require a fan (provided upon request) to keep air circulated and in-room temperatures reasonable. The breakfast was well prepared and adequate, but it was nothing special.