I stayed at the Mark Hopkins in the early '60's and found it to be as elegant and luxurious now as it was then. The bellmen and reception desk personnel were extremely courteous and efficient. We were initially assigned to a room on the 5th floor. After complaining of rowdy late-night party types laughing and shouting out loud in the adjacent room, we happily received an upgrade to a quiet room on the 14th floor. Sadly, the guests staying the the "Mark" (also observed at the nearby Fairmont and Ritz-Carlton) now "dress down" to t-shirts, shorts, dirty looking, frayed jeans with holes, base ball caps (worn backwards of course) and one inebriated guest observed with beer bottle in-hand as he descended the elevator to the ornate lobby. I suppose this is a trade-off from those earlier years of heavy smoking, discrimination, and only the affluent being able to lodge at these beautiful grand old palaces. I still miss the elegance of gentlemen in suits and ladies in fashionable dresses with corresponding manners, the soothing piano of Frankie Carle at the "Top of the Mark" and civility of the cocktail lounge patrons. Alas, those times are forever gone. I thank the Mark Hopkins for retaining it's elegance and charm.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- HISTORIC GRANDEUR ON THE CREST OF NOB HILL As splendid now as when it opened to great fanfare in 1926, InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco is one of the city’s finest hotels with a long legacy of service excellence. Located at the crossing of three cable car lines, the venerable landmark is minutes from Union Square, Chinatown, and the Financial District. Fisherman’s Wharf and the Golden Gate Bridge are short drives away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, IHG, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco Hotel San Francisco
- Intercontinental San Francisco
- San Francisco Intercontinental