InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco
US$195
US$155
MysticHotel.com
  • Restaurant
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
US$432
US$215
  • Room Service
Comfort Inn by the Bay(San Francisco)
US$220
  • Breakfast included
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$265
US$214
  • Restaurant
Hotel Zoe Fisherman's Wharf(San Francisco)
US$421
US$209
  • Restaurant
San Francisco Marriott Marquis(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$322
US$454
Hotelpower.com
  • Pool
2,644 results
All reviewsnob hillmark restaurantcable cargrace cathedralunion squarehistoric hotelthe club loungetop floorcalifornia streetper dayan older hotelan upgradewater pressurecorner roomthe golden gate bridgevalet parkingfisherman's wharf
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I spent three days at the Mark Hopkins while on business in San Francisco. I think had I been on vacation with my husband, I might have enjoyed the hotel and amenities better. The view was astounding, service top notch (with the exception of receiving my faxes), and my room service breakfast each day was on time and tasteful. As another contributor also commented, I too liked the fact that the windows opened for fresh air. As for my room, somewhat on the small size, I thought it was in need of just a little TLC. I noticed stains on one of the sheets and unseemly marks on the wall in the bathroom. I don't believe this hotel is really set up for the business traveler in mind, as most guests appeared to be on holiday, and faxes were not delivered to my room until several hours after receipt, and then only after calls to the front desk. Finally, be aware that the Mark Hopkins is at the top of Nob Hill, a very steep hill, and not easy to climb from downtown, though I did several times as it is hit or miss to find a taxi at the best of times, and the cable car that goes up California Street was always packed. I would highly recommend this hotel for tourists, but not for someone on business.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Leslie A
Reviewed 5 October 2012 via mobile

I stayed as part of a working trip and was expecting something impressive given the price. Sadly this was not my experience.

I was in a corner room which was small and difficult to navigate because of the floor layout (eg to open the bathroom door you almost had to stand in the bath). Internet of the most basic sort (256kb) at $12/night should also be criminal in this age - especially given somewhat unreliable wifi. The aircon had a habit of turning off during the day resulting in uncomfortable hot/freezing returns to the room. These are not things I expect from a prestigious high cost establishment.

Redeeming my experience somewhat, the view from the upper floors is amazing, and you are close to the 'Top of the Mark' restaurant for the most amazing view of San Fran. House keeping were also attentive to detail and very friendly.

If I were to visit again, I think I'd explore other options.

IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2012

Dear Stephen D,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the view from our rooms and had a good experience with our housekeeping. Please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience you experienced with the Internet connection and air conditioner malfunctioning during your stay. I appreciate you bringing these issues into our attention as this is our best resource of improving guest satisfaction.

We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for your comments.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 5 October 2012

After a long holiday that took us across the US from West coast to East coast and back, we choose this hotel for five days to rest before our trip back to Australia. On arriving from New York we had a nine year old who was still recovering from a fever. We headed to our Club room needing some restful sleep but were woken by a drunken idiot who kept rattling our door, before realising his room was next door! This was then followed by the locked connecting door being rattled again 30 minutes later, which was professionally addressed by security and Russell (Manager) who attempted to address the issue with our useless next door neighbour. Although this was a less than perfect start it was the way management and staff handled everything afterwards that was most impressive. Although the incident was no fault of the hotels we were offered an upgrade to a suite in the morning and a special thanks has to go to Daniela the hotel manager who bent over backwards to ensure we didn't suffer another night of interruption. The staff are happy in the job and an absolute pleasure (Demi, Jose and Anna were great). It was the small touches that made the stay a happy memory, such as the chocs and cold milk left for us in our room after the incident and how staff looked after us for the remaining days. The hotel is a real gem and once you get a handle on using the trams the hills are a breeze. The decor is impressive and in keeping with its heritage. Have no doubts about staying here...you'll be looked after and although a little pricey I'd recommend going 'club' as they lay on some special events in the lounge for breakfast and dinner.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We spent two nights at the IC Mark Hopkins in late September 2012. We were very impressed with the hotel in general. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The room (Deluxe class) was spacious with a great large bathroom. We liked that the windows actually opened (only a few inches, but we love fresh air for sleeping especially). No issues with noise from other rooms or hallway.

The highlight for us (based on other TripAdvisor reviews) was the IC Club Lounge. This is a large room right off the main lobby which has food, internet, TV, papers, etc. You have to pay $60/couple/day ($40/single person) for access, but we thought it was well worth it. Included is continental breakfast (all you can eat), snacks through the day (fruit and cookies, endless choice of drinks), tea time (great warm scones), cocktails (full bar - all you can drink - from 5-7pm each day), and desserts until 8:30pm closing. We feel we got our money's worth each day for sure. Also includes internet access anywhere in the hotel as well, plus a concierge just for club members. Highly recommended.

The location is right at the top of Nob Hill. Everywhere you go is downhill form the hotel, and then uphill on the way back. We are big walkers and had no difficulty with it. The location is actually quite central if you like walking. Union Square area down one side, and fisherman's wharf and other stuff down the the side. We didn't take a taxi or transit once during our stay.

The trip to Alcatraz is well worth it - make sure you book well in advance (seriously). Great views on the way over and on the island itself, as well as an interesting audio tour.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TdotFamily
Reviewed 3 October 2012

I was last here more years ago than I care to remember for a great friend's wedding. So we chose it as the last stop on our recent California trip on grounds of sentiment. The location remains great with good access to the main tourist sites in the City. The front of house staff especially the concierge desk are tremendous. I cannot praise the enough.

We took a club package that was on special offer and thought it good value. The club area is a lovely oasis away from noise and hustle; that is apart from a Russian guest on our last breakfast who was on his cellphone all the time! You breakfast here and can have tea and evening drinks in the deal and it has useful printer facilities.

Our room was on the 11th floor, perhaps too near the lift and ice machine, but it was only on the Saturday night that people made a lot of noise in the early hours talking by the lift. The loos are noisy, but no doubt save lots of water. You can hear
them shoozing away in the morning!

The weather was great the last two days and the sunset views from our room were magical.

We went to The Top of The Mark twice. The dancing on the Thursday night was a joy for my wife to watch and for me a yearning to be better. The views are renowned. The one thing they need to watch here, as in some other US venues is that there air-con is set very high. On Sunday night we went back to our room for jackets and scarves.

In short it is worth staying here to say you have done the Mark. We would shop around next time but might regret not being atop Nob Hill as we passed by The Mark!

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple