“Great Location, Great Staff” 5 of 5 bubbles

InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco
Ranked #65 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Mountain View, California
“Great Location, Great Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

We love this hotel. The rooms are very luxurious and the beds are comfortable. Stay on a top floor for the wonderful views. There is nothing like watching the sun rise and paint the Golden Gate Bridge and the Grace Cathedral. Get a package in order to make the parking somewhat more reasonable. We got the "San Francisco experience" which gave us parking, breakfast and 3-day cable car passes. The hotel is on the California Cable Car line and a block up from the Powell line. We left the car in the garage and rode the cable car around SF. They also have a house car for short trips, although we didn't use it. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Wi-fi is not included in the hotel stay unless you get a business package. This is rather annoying, but we just used our phones.

Room Tip: Higher floors are more expensive, but well worth it for the view.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (575)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Olympia Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012 via mobile

Spent 3 nights here at the beginning of a 3 week road trip down the CA coast. The location is great to access just about anything and everything in SF. We walked so much up and down the huge hill my shins and knees were a bit angry with me. Good service and the Top of the Mark views are exquisite!!

Felt the 60$ daily parking fee was excessive as well as the $16.00 a day for Internet access. All in all a good hotel, not sure I would stay here again though

• Stayed October 2012
Ashland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

Great hotel. Fantastic views of the Bay and The City from many rooms. Very helpful staff. Good (not great) location for getting to all the touristy sights in SF. Rooms are average sized but very clean and well appointed. Beds are VERY comfortable. We chose to park in a commercial lot one block away to save on the really expensive hotel's valet parking. Overall, I liked this hotel better than the Westin St. Francis or the Westin Market Street which are my usual hotels when I'm in SF.

Room Tip: Get a high floor room with a view of the SF Bay or The City!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

We amended our trip itinerary to allow us to stay here an extra night and were so glad we did. The aspect that really marked it out for us was the service - all staff members that we encountered were courteous and went out of their way to help, which is often the thing that lets hotels down. We had a choice of rooms and thoroughly enjoyed the one we selected, both for its comfort and the gorgeous views. If I could change anything it would be to have a coffee shop on the premises. We struggled to find somewhere nearby for a light meal after lunchtime - and we didnt particularly want to trek down the hill again. Nevertheless, we intend to return just as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Higher (but more expensive) rooms offer better views and less street noise
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Cupar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

This has been a very grand hotel since its inception, The Intercontinental chain, who now operate it, have mostly honoured this heritage. I spent only one night here and ate elsewhere but this oozes old fashioned quite comfort. The car is whiskd away by Valet's when you arrive and that sets the tone. Everything in the bedrooms is of a very high standard and everything works as it should. the wifi is not complimentary which should be a given at this level.

Room Tip: don't accept a room below the 8th floor. i was on the 5th and had a view of a courtyard and some...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank John L
Cooper City, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

For our first visit to San Franscisco I spent alot of time researching and reading my fellow contributors reviews. As much as I wanted to stay closer tot he pier, budget constraints led me to the InterContinental Mark Hopkins Hotel located at the top of the hill in Nob Hill. We were absolutely escstatic about the location! A brief 2 block walk will take you into the heart of Chinatown. It was at the intersection of Cable Cars running both East and West and North and South so no need to rent a car, because you can basically go anywhere using them as your mode of transportation. We walked from the hotel to the Pier 39, it was a beatiful day and we really enjoyed the walk because it was all down hill, we had to walk back up the hill after the 4th of July fire works an it was pretty brutal. So walk down, taxi or cable car up unless you want a really good work out! Our room was on the 11th Floor and had views of the city, although we didn't have a view of the GG Bridge we were still able to see SF Bay. The room was a nice size, the beds extremely comfortable and a nice bathroom. The view from the restaurant "Top of the Mark" was breathtaking and we watched the sunset from the bar while we had drinks. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The doorman gave my son a keychain which was a replica of the hotel and for the remainder of our stay always greeted us by name. I could not find my watch when we were checking out and I alerted the staff to this, fortunately I found the watch 2 days later while we were in Yosemite, but I had an email from the hotel informing me that they did not recover my watch and they were concerned hoping I found it. I was impressed. It's instances like this that set you apart from the rest. There are so many choices while looking for a place to stay in this amazing city and I recommend this hotel to all!

Room Tip: I called the Concierge and asked for advice on where to stay, I believe anything above the 7th Floor...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

This was intended to be a wonderful getaway with my wife before I go in for cancer surgery. We do not normally stay at hotels of this class. First, I reserved a king bed and we were given a queen. I thought it might be romantic for a 60 year old and the love of his life who he has been married to for 34 years so we accepted it. The bed was horrible. My wife said it was like someone took an ice-cream scoop and scooped out the middle of the bed. It was simply unbelievable that a hotel of this stature would have such a bed. In the morning we called to speak with a manager and was told someone would get back with us right away. Thirty minutes latter we called back and were told she was busy, my wife said that was unacceptable and half a minute later she was on the phone. At first she was argumentative, then finally offered us an 'upgrade' to a king room we reserved in the first place. Then finally she offered a free buffet breakfast which turned out they didn't need to do. We went down and expected someone to great us and show us to a table which never happened. We totally took care of ourselves and when we were ready to leave there was no one to check out with so we just left. It was going to be complimentary anyway but it seems as though someone would have come to our table at some point.

After all that we decided not to stay. When we called down to check out the desk clerk told us there was a $50 early check-out fee. We told her we were not paying it. When we got down to the desk a very pleasant man clerk remembered my name from the day before, was very polite and understanding, did not charge a check-out fee, and politely apologized, if he was the manager we might have changed rooms and stayed another night. The only reason I am giving this 2 stars instead of 1 is because of him. Just goes to show exquisite and customer service doesn't mean a thing these days.

Room Tip: You might want to lay down on your bed for a few minutes upon arrival to make sure you will be able...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 69heavychevy
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Dear 69heavychevy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Here at the InterContinental Mark Hopkins, we strive every day to create special experiences one guest at a time and I am truly sorry we did not manage this for your stay. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and I regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations in many aspects. Please be assured that the challenges you encountered are not indicative of our usual high standards. Your feedback will be taken into consideration in our efforts to provide the best service experience possible.

I appreciate the compliments you’ve shared towards our front desk clerk and the level of service he has provided. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back on your next stay here in San Francisco.

Joel B