2,813 results
All reviews nob hill mark restaurant cable car grace cathedral historic hotel union square the club lounge top floor california street an upgrade an older hotel per day hotel guests corner room the golden gate bridge water pressure valet parking
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Our 5th stay out of 12 in the area in the past 5 years. While I tried other hotels and was always content, Mark Hopkins always pleasantly surprises and is our favorite place to stay when in San Francisco,

Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I know the hotel is not named Top of the Mark but the name of their signature bar / restaurant is on point.

The staff is nice.
The rooms are comfortable.
The views are amazing.
The location is great.

SF has so much to offer and when you have a relaxing hotel to unwind in to rest your feet it sure makes the whole SF trip even better.

I have stayed here before and will most certainly return.

Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank arizonaac
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I work in San Francisco and live about 30 miles outside the city. I am regular hotel stayer in San Francisco and stayed at the Mark Hopkins this past weekend for a holiday event. The hotel has the reputation for being a classy, upper echelon hotel and I was anticipating a rude, pretentious aura throughout the staff. I could not have been more wrong in my assumption. The staff was extremely warm and the room was extremely spacious (the most spacious room I've seen for standards in SF). The only downside was to park overnight at the hotel was $60/night. The regular nightly price usually seems to be $40-50. Other then that, I would STRONGLY recommend the hotel. We met with friends across the street at the Fairmont and the room comparison was not evenly close.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2012

This hotel was a delightful surprise. We stayed here in December when the hotel was decorated for the holidays, with a big gingerbread exhibit and lots of nice lights and holiday decor. We were first in a regular room but we extended our stay and they moved to us to a 1 bedroom suite for the weekend as our first room was taken. Both were comfortable, clean and recently redone but of course the 1 bedroom suite was a real treat! That is the ideal set-up for families as you can get a roll-away bed in the living room. The decor is traditional so not "exciting" but they have flat screens, docking stations, and all the necessary niceties that you need. In our double room on the 14th floor you could hear some activity in the next room, but the 9th floor was very quiet. Hallways on both floors were very quiet- no rowdy guests. The views from both rooms were spectacular-- 9th floor and 14th floor. We had the club package with our room, which gave us free breakfast buffet, tea time and evening cocktail hour-- and free wifi! It also includes shoe shines, clothing pressing, etc. A great addition and we were so happy to have it. We also were given two little teddy bears and kids robes in the rooms- very thoughtful! Service was great especially the doormen and the club attendant who was excellent. I was thrilled to use the services of a female bellhop to take our luggage to our room- first time ever. Parking is very expensive $52/day, but that is everywhere on Nob Hill. We had a really lovely stay at a truly classic San Francisco landmark hotel.

Room tip: 1 bedroom suites are excellent and worth the upgrade price from the deluxe doubles.
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Arrived in San Fran after bad winter storm turbulence. Headed into a rainy San Francisco, headed up Nob Hill to the hotel and the sun came out. Room not ready, lots of people gathered in the hotel checking out or headed to the Mark for brunch. Left my bag in baggage hold and hit the streets.

I was alerted via cell phone when my room was ready which was an hour before the posted check-in time. I had secured a pretty cheap rate for my stay, so was pleased with the wonderful view from room #1522. Very big room. I have stayed in San Fran in a closet in a large "Grand Lady" down on Union Square so the fact I could open my windows a bit plus have a view of Nob Hill and the Golden Gate to Alcatraz...wonderful.

Of course, when you are up on Nob Hill - makes it hard to walk home!

Room: Very spacious. Bed was wonderful. Very quiet, just the sound of the trolley tracks...oh - and the hourly chimes at Grace Cathedral; lovely. Wish internet was free. Loved the big windows and the light. Couldn't imagine if I had booked a tiny room without big windows in Union Square. Mini bar. Keurig coffee in room. Apples at front desk.

Is the property chic and modern? No it is traditional and tasteful. It's the Mark Hopkins!

• Trip type: Travelled solo