“Not the Williard”

InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco
Ranked #61 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 December 2012

This hotel has a grand and gracious presentation to the street. It also has a fine history. However, for those of you familar with other Intercontinental Hotels, it is not the Willard in Washington or the Barclay in New York. The rooms are spacious and comfortable enough (I had a 1 bedroom suite). But they have not been given the benefit of a thoughtful update. The compact poorly placed Plasma screen in the bedroom is an example. The food options are suprisingly ordinary. Room service menu is narrow and unimaginative. There are no real meal facilities in the hotel - the Top of the Mark restaurant does not satisfy and the Club Lounge is disappointing. In the context of these disappointments there was nothing to lift the hotel out of the ordinary.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,611)

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Our 5th stay out of 12 in the area in the past 5 years. While I tried other hotels and was always content, Mark Hopkins always pleasantly surprises and is our favorite place to stay when in San Francisco,

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I know the hotel is not named Top of the Mark but the name of their signature bar / restaurant is on point.

The staff is nice.
The rooms are comfortable.
The views are amazing.
The location is great.

SF has so much to offer and when you have a relaxing hotel to unwind in to rest your feet it sure makes the whole SF trip even better.

I have stayed here before and will most certainly return.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank arizonaac
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I work in San Francisco and live about 30 miles outside the city. I am regular hotel stayer in San Francisco and stayed at the Mark Hopkins this past weekend for a holiday event. The hotel has the reputation for being a classy, upper echelon hotel and I was anticipating a rude, pretentious aura throughout the staff. I could not have been more wrong in my assumption. The staff was extremely warm and the room was extremely spacious (the most spacious room I've seen for standards in SF). The only downside was to park overnight at the hotel was $60/night. The regular nightly price usually seems to be $40-50. Other then that, I would STRONGLY recommend the hotel. We met with friends across the street at the Fairmont and the room comparison was not evenly close.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2012

This hotel was a delightful surprise. We stayed here in December when the hotel was decorated for the holidays, with a big gingerbread exhibit and lots of nice lights and holiday decor. We were first in a regular room but we extended our stay and they moved to us to a 1 bedroom suite for the weekend as our first room was taken. Both were comfortable, clean and recently redone but of course the 1 bedroom suite was a real treat! That is the ideal set-up for families as you can get a roll-away bed in the living room. The decor is traditional so not "exciting" but they have flat screens, docking stations, and all the necessary niceties that you need. In our double room on the 14th floor you could hear some activity in the next room, but the 9th floor was very quiet. Hallways on both floors were very quiet- no rowdy guests. The views from both rooms were spectacular-- 9th floor and 14th floor. We had the club package with our room, which gave us free breakfast buffet, tea time and evening cocktail hour-- and free wifi! It also includes shoe shines, clothing pressing, etc. A great addition and we were so happy to have it. We also were given two little teddy bears and kids robes in the rooms- very thoughtful! Service was great especially the doormen and the club attendant who was excellent. I was thrilled to use the services of a female bellhop to take our luggage to our room- first time ever. Parking is very expensive $52/day, but that is everywhere on Nob Hill. We had a really lovely stay at a truly classic San Francisco landmark hotel.

Room Tip: 1 bedroom suites are excellent and worth the upgrade price from the deluxe doubles.
Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Arrived in San Fran after bad winter storm turbulence. Headed into a rainy San Francisco, headed up Nob Hill to the hotel and the sun came out. Room not ready, lots of people gathered in the hotel checking out or headed to the Mark for brunch. Left my bag in baggage hold and hit the streets.

I was alerted via cell phone when my room was ready which was an hour before the posted check-in time. I had secured a pretty cheap rate for my stay, so was pleased with the wonderful view from room #1522. Very big room. I have stayed in San Fran in a closet in a large "Grand Lady" down on Union Square so the fact I could open my windows a bit plus have a view of Nob Hill and the Golden Gate to Alcatraz...wonderful.

Of course, when you are up on Nob Hill - makes it hard to walk home!

Room: Very spacious. Bed was wonderful. Very quiet, just the sound of the trolley tracks...oh - and the hourly chimes at Grace Cathedral; lovely. Wish internet was free. Loved the big windows and the light. Couldn't imagine if I had booked a tiny room without big windows in Union Square. Mini bar. Keurig coffee in room. Apples at front desk.

Is the property chic and modern? No it is traditional and tasteful. It's the Mark Hopkins!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 December 2012

The location of this property is amazing; which is why I would recommend it to anyone. But that recommendation comes with a few caveats.
It is unfortunate this property is content with living in its own shadow. Everywhere you look you can see hints of what used to be, the lush life responsible for putting this place on the social map, but whatever efforts were made to bring it up to date—make it relevant and current and return it to its previous glory—are certainly lost in the details.
The rooms themselves are tired even with an obvious makeover (not sure how long ago that happened). Towels are rough and threadbare, the beds borderline lumpy; and don't expect to unpack you bags and make yourself at home because drawer space is at a premium, and mind you I stayed in one of their larger rooms. Taking the elevator to the 19th floor I expected to encounter a stunning room when the doors opened at The Top of the Mark, but for that I would have needed a time machine. Gone is the remarkable center bar that once anchored the room; now replaced with a tiny corner version not even visible from the entrance. There is not a single remarkable detail in this space. Not the furniture, not the fixtures. It's like someone in command said, "who cares if the room looks like we borrowed it from a 2 star motel, people don't come here for the room; they come for the view." But nothing could be further from the truth. As is, it's just a space with a bunch of windows high up enough to see the city; just another room with a view. A space that happens to have a list of over 100 martinis designed apparently to distract you from thoughts of a Holiday Inn or a Motel 6.
Unless you have money to burn I would steer clear of the club level services. Located on the lobby level it lacks prestige...and I sure grew tired of eating cold cuts and blue cheese for breakfast.
The porte cochere with its gorgeous herringbone-patterned brick drive is always energetic, with bell hops blowing old school whistles to hail taxis for guests and people taking pictures of the hotel's grand facade. But once inside the feeling "you have arrived," fades quickly into the historic woodwork. A mish mash of furniture fails to render the vast space inviting. In fact, even when this lounge area is void of people it comes across as chaotic. And perhaps the most beautiful room on the ground level (the foyer of a once popular ballroom that featured live performances; sorry...the name escapes me) is hidden behind drawn curtains like some old relative sure to embarrass everyone if they were allowed out in public. But do take a peek at the old cousin...her skylight ceiling evokes European conservatories or train stations. Stunning!
The service was hit or miss. I must say everyone who manned the front desk of the Club Lounge were top notch; gracious and attentive. I cannot, however, say the same for the young woman who checked me in; who thought it best to basically tell me to shut up and let her spill her spiel and if she missed anything along the way then I could ask her questions. Why…I oughta…!
And the concierge (mind you, I only had the pleasure of one. He seemed to be a permanent fixture at the concierge desk) lacked knowledge and initiative; two things any concierge worth a damn should carry around in spades.

Overall, the Mark Hopkins slightly misses the mark (pun intended), which is unfortunate; because with a little elbow grease and TLC this place could truly be special and could live up to everything they claim to offer.

Room Tip: you can always take your chances and ask for a room on a higher floor for a better view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends