First the bad and then the good: I had booked the deluxe room in order to make sure we got a top floor view. We received 4th floor rooms and were told by Wendy, the receptionist, this was an upper floor (there are 18 floors). A request the next day for a refund for not getting a deluxe room resulted in sudden appearance of two rooms next to each other on the 10th floor. We asked Wendy to please leave a set of room keys for our two teens who had gone out shopping but she refused saying anyone could walk up and request the keys - even though she had seen the kids the day before. We requested plates be sent to my parents suite that NEVER arrived. We requested NO room cleaning and came back to find out the maids cleaned the room anyway. Entering the hotel, the garbage cans are overflowing with trash - not much of an impression for an Intercontinental. It took 2 days for the hotel staff to remove a roll-away bed we had requested for one night. $16/day for internet access is ridiculous. There is no coffee shop in the hotel or really anyplace to just sit and have a drink unless you went to the Top of the Mark. Maybe minor things, but not if you're trying to be a top hotel. Now the good: We loved the location on Nob Hill, easily walking down to Chinatown and taking the cable car back up the hill. I loved waking to the cable cars clanging their bells - very San Fran. The hotel is older but still retains much of its charm. My parents suite wasn't ready until 5pm but the manager sent up a bottle of wine to apologize. Top of the Mark does have fabulous views and is worth going to for breakfast once. I recommend the hotel for tourists looking for a romantic place to stay, but its not great for families. Don't expect much in regards to customer service though, especially from "no-can-do" Wendy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- HISTORIC GRANDEUR ON THE CREST OF NOB HILL As splendid now as when it opened to great fanfare in 1926, InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco is one of the city’s finest hotels. Located at the crossing of three cable car lines, the venerable landmark is minutes from Union Square, Chinatown, and the Financial District. Fisherman’s Wharf and the Golden Gate Bridge are short drives away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Agoda, IHG, Priceline and Ebookers so you can book your InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco Hotel San Francisco
- Intercontinental San Francisco
- San Francisco Intercontinental