“Location is top”

InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco
Ranked #61 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Second stay in this hotel. The hotel is a historical landmark in SF, but needs to be updated on the inside. The rooms are clean but the furniture is outdated, doors are damaged by suitcases and shoes from other guests.
We had a room on the 10th floor. The views are stunning. The bed is very comfortable.
We were recognized as Platinum members.

What I still don't understand is that they have 3 different prices for breakfast while it's a buffet. You always get the invoice for the most extensive breakfast while we did not eat the most extensive breakfast. We had to ask to change the invoice. The fruit they serve is one of the best I ever saw in hotels and I stayed in a lot of hotels.

The gym is very small and in the basement with no views. I used it twice while nobody else was using it. Think most people do not go to the gym here, maybe because it's also outdated. I do miss a sauna in the hotel.

Waiting for the elevator takes forever especially in the morning. Valet is perfect but expensive.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,611)

Reviewed 12 November 2013

From the outside, this is a very stately hotel in a beautiful location. I chose to stay here having been impressed walking by it in the past. I love the Nob Hill area and it's great to walk around here (as long as you're fit!). I always stay with IHG, and were I to choose again, I'd pick the other Intercon in SF or one of the Holiday Inns.

This is the first Intercon I've stayed in to not include breakfast with the stay. I was not aware of this until I got a $35 bill for a "mimosa brunch" for the few bites I had running to work this morning. It's probably my fault to have assumed, but I've never been charged for breakfast at any IHG hotel. Also, I wouldn't have minded had I thought the food was good or had I eaten much of it. I read rave reviews about brunches here, but I thought the Monday breakfast spread was subpar compared to the usual intercon breakfast buffet with omelet chef and fresh waffles. I also didn't get offered any champagne )-: Tomorrow I'll be hitting Starbucks or the restos at the Ferry Building.

Otherwise, the room was standard. Nothing to write home about. I'd definitely go with the Holiday Inn over this one, particularly as they usually give better upgrades than intercon and provide breakfast.

1  Thank JustinTravels1234
David V, Manager at InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay at the InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not more enjoyable as we would have liked. I have checked your receipt from Brunch and again assure you that Mimosa Brunch was not listed. I also noticed that you referenced other Intercontinental Hotels offering breakfast included with guest rooms. May I ask that you contact me at ICMarkHopkins@IHG.com so I may gather additional information regarding such? Thank you again for your review.

Kind Regards,

David Valencia
Assistant Manager – Front Office

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Beautiful hotel, staff are super friendly and eager to please, they really took pride in what they do. Outstanding!
The top of the mark was nice, too ritzy for me but I wasn't complaining after I had a look at their martini menu.
Perfect location, walkable to union square and fishermans warf!
Only thing the irritated me a tad was when I asked the concierge to point us in the direction of a good Irish pub. I don't think the owner of this pub has ever been to an authentic Irish american pub never mind Ireland, it was a joke. But other than that it was all perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a view of the golden gate!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Had 3 nights here at beginning Nov 2013. Overall it felt well managed, had good staff and was a comfortable and pleasant experience. However, it is dated. It feels like it was last decorated 20 years ago in homage to the early 20th C. Nothing feels modern or anything close to a 21st C hotel.

The restaurant at the top is a great experience with the best views of the Bay and City.

Location is good and central for visiting SF city. But those who like to walk should be aware that it is at the top of a very steep hill.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay at the InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not more enjoyable due to the décor. The Mark Hopkins is a Historical Landmark and we do try to preserve as much of the grandeur in our public spaces as possible. I do hope that you found the updated amenities in your room to be to your liking. I will be sure to share your comments with all of our staff. Thank you again for your review.

Kind Regards,

David Valencia
Assistant Manager – Front Office

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Stayed at Mark Hopkins on my holiday with friends and we we were fascinated by its beauty, convenient location and most importantly excellent level of services provided! All staff members are brilliant and very much accommodating! Top of the Mark is offers stunning views and great menu selection. The building itself is very vintage and charming! Rooms facing California street offer a great view and the minute you wake up and open the blinds, you feel that "San Francisco spirit" with cable cars rolling on the background, foggy bay and steep hills. We are most definitely coming back again! Thank you again very much to all the staff for creating a long lasting memory that we will cherish and remember!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I stayed there for one night booked four days in advance. Location is perfect as are the views.. On booking in I tried to secure a second night but the price quoted was well in excess of my one night quote. In view of the fact i could have got a competitive quote on line this was disappointing. The concierge was friendly and very knowledgeable as indeed were all the staff I encounter. My room was moderate in size, but I expected that of a city hotel. The bathroom was clean and of a decent size.

Service was very good. I recommend breakfast in Top of the Mark - the food and views were superb. You can see the bay and the bridges.

There is no free wifi even in the lobby which is disappointing - this is San Francisco after all.

Location and views are this hotel's best selling points.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 November 2013

The location of this hotel is one of its main advantages, just 1 min walk from the famous cable car right in the middle between Union square and Fisherman's wharf, another strong pro for the hotel is its famous 'Top of the Mark' restaurant right on top with an almost 360 degree view of SF with wonderful scenery especially at sunset.
Other than that it was just above average for the room amenities, the GYM is pretty basic and needs renovation in adding a lot of missing machines and weights, the hotel staff are friendly.
If i were to go again to SF, I might not stay there because of its hefty price but i will definitely give a visit to the Top of the Mark.

Room Tip: Choose a top floor room to get a better view of SF