“Go for drinks but don't stay over night”

InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco
Ranked #62 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This place was the worst from trying to check in, getting a room key that worked to them doing repairs at night. Yes they had hammering going on at night(last I looked at the clock it was after11 PM). When I called the desk they said they where working on the lobby yes at night and past 11 PM. AT check are diver could not pull into there lot. We got no help from the bell staff to carry are things in from the street. Also don't go for there up grade room. Are bedroom wall was the wall to the elevator. No need to count sheep you can count the trips the elevator makes. All night long.
It was are first and last time to stay here. Lots of better places to stay in the city. But do go 1 time for drinks at The Top of The Mark. The views are great.

Room Tip: Just don't stay and if you do. Don't do the upgrade if it is room 509.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sadbuttru
David V, Manager at InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay at the InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not as enjoyable as we would have liked. I do apologize about the noise you encountered and have shared your feed back with our Management team. I am delighted to hear however that you had an opportunity to enjoy our Top of the Mark Lounge and see the view. Thank you again for your review and please do not hesitate to contact me at ICMarkHopkins@IHG.com should you like to share any additional comments or experiences from your stay.

Kind Regards,

David Valencia
Assistant Manager – Front Office

Write a ReviewReviews (2,586)

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Loved this gorgeous hotel. The front desk, concierge, and room service staff were amazing. We got a great deal on Expedia and upgraded for very reasonable cost at front desk. Convenient to everything. Avis just four blocks away (downhill) for renting car for longer trips, otherwise, use BART, cable car, or cab as overnight parking is $60...! We got Avis at the Avis site for $31 per day, so cheaper to turn in and rerent (note Expedia rate was $70 for Avis car...weird).

The gratuity is included already in the breakfast bill, but well noted so you can't miss it unless you try.
Rooms were exceptionally quiet and well-insulated. It was very cold outside, but our room was never chilly. Would have liked to have been able to make room cooler for sleep, but I think it could only heat or circulate given the outside temp. Wasn't a big deal, just saying.

They had all the toiletries you could need. Anything else small (pain killers, etc.) are available across the street in the other (gaudy) hotel. Walgreens is two steep blocks downhill from the hotel, but nearby at least.
The rooms and bathrooms were lovely and well-appointed, beds very comfortable.
Our itinerary from Friday PM-Tuesday AM included:

Walk down to explore Fisherman's Wharf and Ghiradelli's chocolate (skip the famous ice cream shop street side that has a huge line and walk into the complex for a wonderful ice cream shop further in and small lines) with cab ride back uphill to the hotel.

Drive over new part of Oakland bridge at night....an amazing experience.

Breakfast at Blue Mermaid near wharf (very delicious and reasonably priced), afternoon at Muir woods to see the redwoods, followed by dinner in Sausalito at Spinnaker's (great food, very reasonable prices, and fantastic view of the bay).

Drive to Carmel and 17-mile road (Pebble beach) and back (5 hours total) followed byTop of the Mark cocktails and appetizers.

Early morning Alcatraz audio self-tour (excellent). Note: get Alcatraz tickets directly from venue at the wharf ($28-$35) a few days early as they do sell out, and take first or second boat out to avoid crowds...strive for weekday if possible. Much more interesting than I imagined it would be. Ate breakfast at Blue Mermaid near piers, which was fantastic and reasonably priced...very accommodating for dietary requests.

Room Tip: Upgrades are very reasonable. Our room on 11th floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jph2010
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed at the Mark Hopkins on two separate visits in Oct/Nov. The check in process on both visits was very efficient. Room was excellent and we were upgraded to a higher floor on our second visit. On our first visit the fridge was not working but another one was provided when we contacted the front desk. Breakfast at the Top of the Mark was excellent but very expensive. $75 for one Light Beginning Buffet and a Mark Hopkins Buffet. After reading a previous review here I am fairly sure we were overcharged. Overall the room was excellent and the views over the city were stunning. The Mark was the only hotel we stayed in during our 5 week visit that did not include Wi Fi. When we checked out on a last visit we left a message at the front desk for the porter but no one came up to the room so my husband had to call again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Where to begin- this was a trip of 5 nights during Thanksgiving. Such a wonderful location. We travel often by public transportation and the cable cars are right at the corner- to the Wharf- to Union Square or up/down California Street. We were warmly greeted and upgraded to a beautiful corner room. It was so nice and the views were spectacular. We had a rate that included breakfast at the Top of the Mark on the 19th floor EVERY day!! How pampered can you be?!! The staff in the restaurant was OUTSTANDING. We don't have anything to complain about . The food from cereal, oatmeal, dim sun (sp?), waffles, bacon, 2-3 kinds of eggs each morning, pastries, toast, salmon, bagels, FRESH FRESH FRUIT, potatoes, and on and on. The staff was so attentive and in a pleasant way. I just wanted to hug them when we left the last morning because they were like family. Take your camera/phone because the views from the restaurant are AWESOME. We picked a different view every day. We would stay here again in a heart beat!! The Christmas decorations are beautiful. On Thanksgiving they have a special petting zoo in the back of the lobby for the children- HOWEVER- I only saw one child petting the animals and the rest were ADULTS!! lol.. Thank you staff. The concierge is the nicest.

Room Tip: No noise on the 9th floor- couldn't hear traffic or the dinging of the cable bells.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

The hotel is historic and located at Nob Hill. The area is very nice location. The room I had was very nice updated with spectacular views of the bay and city. I would recommend getting breakfast with the room. Breakfast was at Top of the Mark. This historic roof top location with incredible views all around you. Ask for a window table and enjoy the views and food.
The front desk with both David and also Mark made check in and out easy with no problems. The staff was very friendly and went out their way to answer questions or assist you.
I will be staying here again and enjoy the old world charm rooms and interior.
If you are wanting brand new everything there is another Intercontinental San Francisco, also very nice.
I

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here on Thanksgiving Eve and the room was beautiful and quiet. Services were helpful, polite, and informative as needed. We stayed in a handicap room and my only complaint was the lack of counter space in the bathroom. There is a nice container with many items to make the stay more comfortable, 4 bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion, and a great lighted magnifying mirror all on the counter which is only slightly larger than a pedestal sink. Not much room left for toothbrushes, hair brushes, shaver, makeup etc. otherwise, the room is beautifully done!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the streets away from Powell unless cable car clanging will not bother.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I stayed for business, and I was expecting to be disappointed, and I was. The bed was comfortable, the doormen friendly, and Top of the Mark has great views. However, the desk staff was unfriendly, there was constant litter in the hallways, no free Wi-Fi and the breakfast buffet was $28 if you wanted eggs.

At check in, my questions to the front desk were answered in mostly “no”. When done, I turned to find my bag, and the bellman doesn’t offer to assist. No offer that I may decline or accept – just no help – but they were right there watching. One day I came back to the hotel in a black sedan and I was mocked by the door man “Oh you are coming back in style, eh?”. Most other times the door men were friendly and helpful, but they need to brush up on their customer service skills.

The entire time I stayed at the hotel, which was 6 nights, I never saw the concierge, and questions at the front desk were unhelpful at best. One time I asked about a restaurant for breakfast, and they directed me 4 blocks away, when there were several right there on Nob Hill. The breakfast buffet that they offered was expensive -- $19 for a continental breakfast to $28 for eggs and meat selections. I did eat at the buffet on my last day because of time, and on top of the $28 they added in a 18% gratuity automatically (for a buffet!!). However, the buffet was good.

The hallways had litter on the floor every day, and room service trays stayed out in the halls for hours. It seemed like there was too little staff.

Even though my room (635) was small, the bed was comfortable and the A/C worked as expected. There was a suitable desk & chair, another chair and small table, a TV perched upon a console with very little storage and plenty of lighting. There was a Keurig for use, but bottled water is $6.50 a bottle. Better to walk down California to or Powell and buy a big jug for $1.

The bathroom was small, and had very little room for accessories. Tub was shallow and when taking a shower or filling the tub, the pipes would bang and groan – quite a shock if you aren’t expecting it. In my room, to access the toilet, you had to contort yourself and go around the door, then close the door. For a bigger person this could be a problem. For two people nearly impossible. There was a hair dryer and a very good magnifying mirror in the bathroom.

In the closet, there was an iron and ironing board. Too few hangars, but I was able to deal with that and there was a sign that said that housekeeping could bring more.

Housekeeping was good. The room always looked tidy and the bed was made up each day. They have a cool indicator on the thermostat so you can alert them when you are ready to have your room taken care of or do not disturb - no more cards on the door!

I checked out the workout room and it was mostly treadmill-like machines with some TV’s, a few weight machines. If there were others in there working out it would be odd since the area isn’t that big.

This hotel is located on the top of Nob Hill. The hills are VERY steep. Keep that in mind if you are walking around. There are several good coffee shops and restaurants close by. Check out the Big Four at the Huntington for a superb meal, or Café Cento for coffee at the corner of Powell and California. It is a very pretty area and the cable cars are right there for you (hint: Buy a pass!). There is a small park just up the street that is great for people watching. But if you stay at the Mark Hopkins, do yourself a favor and go at least once to the Top of the Mark. You won’t be disappointed with the views.

Room Tip: 6th floor had okay views.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Skeenka
David V, Manager at InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay at the InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco. I am sorry to hear that we were not able to change your expectation of disappointment. Our hotel anticipated your group’s arrival and took steps such as having additional staff to answer questions about the local area, and I apologized that you were unable to speak with the Concierge. I also sorry to hear that you felt the doorman had mocked you, I assure you this was not his intention, but rather to welcome you back as he had assisted with your departure earlier. Please feel free to contact me at ICMarkHopkins@IHG.com should you decide you would like share any additional comments with a manager. Thank you again for your review.

Kind Regards,