“Great old hotel on the top of very steep hills!”

InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco
Ranked #64 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Australia
“Great old hotel on the top of very steep hills!”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews for this hotel, but I had a great experience. I found my room to be a good size, the bed was super comfortable, everything was very clean and the staff were attentive and helpful. Like a lot of people, I've stayed in a lot of hotels. I find that if you choose the cheapest room possible you generally don't have the experience you could have if you chose the next room up. For example, I was on Level 15 which had an incredible view (see photo) and was very quiet. I know people who stayed on Level 2 and 3 and found it noisy. So if quiet is important to you, pay the extra and have a quiet experience. If saving money is more important to you, go the standard room. Internet is free for IHG members which is good, because it's an additional fee. I didn't need to park, and $52 a night is standard for San Francisco, but I wouldn't want to pay that. I ate room service a lot, and found the service good (direct line, the person answered quickly and called me by name) and the food of a good standard - it's still room service after all! Yes, room service is expensive, but again, that shouldn't be news to anyone.

My only real complaint about this hotel is something they can't control - the steep hills! There are also not many nearby restaurants so you're looking at a hike down and up a series of very steep hills. Union Square is easy distance wise, but the hills are a killer workout!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (608)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Gorgeous hotel and rooms. Exceptionally clean with very comfortable beds and down pillows. I had a very nice sized room with two double beds. Bathroom was large with ample counter space for my makeup and hair dryer/flat iron. Shower had good water pressure and the shower head was high enough for a tall person (5'10"). Everyone is extremely helpful and congenial from the doormen to the front desk to the maids. Great location, but as most others have probably stated it's at the very tip top of a very steep hill. The pro to that is that it gives you an excellent work out if you can manage it; if not, taxis are always readily available. Short walk to Union Square for shopping or North Beach for all the great restaurants. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. Loved it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I stayed here for two nights. I travel a lot.

The good news:
It is a hotel in San Francisco, and relatively proximate to Grace Cathedral, the financial district, and other stuff you might want to check out. It is on top of a giant hill, so be prepared that a 2 block walk can be the equivalent of walking up or down stairs of 2 story building.

The bad news:
I am not a InterContinental preferred guest in their loyalty program. Maybe one gets treated better if one is. I was put on the 5th floor. I asked for a quiet room. The walls are PAPER THIN. I could actually make out the conversation between two women staying in the room next to my room-- like I could hear all the words. And they were just talking at a normal decibel level.

Second, the room is small, and feels really cramped---like walking by the stand for the TV requires bigger people to squeeze through to avoid being impaled by the corner of the stand. :-(

Third, the water pressure in the shower was HORRIBLY BAD. And, every so often the hot water would just vanish and the shower would turn to ice water for a few seconds-- presumably because someone using the same pipe line in the hotel flushed a toilet. :-(

Fourth, and worst of all-- the bed. It was soft and mushy, and sloped, so it felt like blood was rushing to my head. I turned the mattress around. That didn't help. I took the rounded throw pillow and shoved it underneath the mattress -- in between the mattress and the box spring. That kinda helped. I woke up with a bad back. omg, that room SUCCKKKEED.

Again, it seems like if you are in a fancy renovated room, and not the normal guest ghetto that they put me in, maybe people have better experiences than my experience. But honestly, I could not wait to leave this dump.

Oh, by the way, the gym is super antiquated, tiny, in desperate need of updating, and the carpet smells quite badly.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel. Try the Omni down the block. MUCH better imho.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank iron_monkey_fist666
David V, Manager at InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay at the InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, however it appears you have rated your stay a 1. Please do not hesitate to contact me at ICMarkHopkins@ihg.com as I would like for an opportunity to clarify your recent visit. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again soon!

Kind Regards,
David Valencia
Assistant Manager – Front Office
Adrian, Michigan
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This is the type of hotel that is unfortunately hard to find these days. Located at the top of Nob Hill (which can either be a positive or a negative, depending on your point of view), this elegant property brings home a charm and sophistication of days gone by. The structure stands atop the hill overlooking the city with great views from some of the strategically located rooms. A former art institute, the building itself was quite lovely. It is a combination of French Chateau and Spanish Renaissance architecture and stands prominently at the crest of the hill with a regal look. I was there for a conference and so received a bargain at less than $200 per night. Upon entry, the lobby was stunning with an opulent and nostalgic appearance. I was checked-in very efficiently and was struck immediately by the professionalism of the front desk staff. The person checking me in was very polite, helpful and accommodating. I was given a very nice corner room on the 11th floor that had a stretch view of the Bay. The room was very spacious with a comfortable bed. The amenities all worked decently including the WiFi, which was functional though somewhat slow. The morning breakfast was quite nice but was very expensive ($35). The hotel was about a one-mile walk to the Moscone Center which was fine for me but the walk back up the hill was challenging. I am sure it was good for me but if I stay again under such circumstances, I might use a taxi or the cable cars occasionally to get back. My ped told me I accumulated between 13,000 and 20,000 steps each day (that obviated my need to use the Fitness Center). The checkout was quite smooth and there were taxis queued to allow me to get off to the airport quickly. In all, I was very impressed with my stay here and would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a memorable weekend or week in SF.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Debbie K
Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay at the InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco. I am disappointed to hear that your stay was not as enjoyable as we would have liked. I assure you that we would have immediately responded to your dissatisfaction had we known during your stay. If you would be so kind as to contact me at ICMarkHopkins@ihg.com as I would like for an opportunity to collect additional information to address your concerns.

Kind Regards,
David Valencia
Assistant Manager – Front Office
Mineola, New York
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed for three nights in this wonderful hotel and loved every minute! Journey back to a time of understated elegance in this great hotel on Nob Hill. We had a great room on the 11th floor overlooking the bay. A small room based on the age of the building but a nicely updated room. The bathroom had been totally redone and was elegant. A great view and great service in the old world style. We had a club room and that included access to the Penthouse where we got a great breakfast buffet and snacks all day including drinks @ 5. A great deal! The down side....the top of the hill!

Room Tip: Get a club level room....great value for the money!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank P1436JLfrankd
Naperville, Illinois, USA
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I had business meetings in San Francisco, and my host selected the Mark Hopkins as the meeting location and arranged a group discount. Located on the top of Nob Hill, the Mark Hopkins is a beautiful vintage hotel. The guest rooms, meeting rooms, and the overall location were excellent. I am glad I stayed here and I would love to come back.

Room. I stayed in a generously sized room, with a king-sized bed, master bathroom, and a view of California St. I had a nice desk area with both fixed and WIFI internet. The WIFI was included in my room price; it was slow at night but a little faster in the morning. The flatscreen TV was nice enough, but the TV service was poor: more than half of the channels were "pixelated" and virtually unwatchable -- channel 60, The Golf Channel, did however work. One other problem, something was wrong with the flusher in my toilet; it made a really loud noise when I flushed. ... All of these are just the usual problems I put up with when traveling; not a show stopper.

Hotel. This renaissance style building is from the mid-1920s; it was most recently remodeled in the early 2000s. Our meetings included breakfast and lunch on the 19th floor restaurant, named Top of the Mark. It was really nice; beautiful views, very nicely laid out floor space, and excellent buffet service. This floor was featured in the movie, Veritgo, by Alfred Hitchcock and the hotel staff was proud to talk about it.

Steep hills! Take cable cars! So being on the top of Nob Hill is good and bad. The views are great! The surrounding neighborhood is beautiful to walk through, but if you want to take a short walk to Union Square or a slightly longer walk to the Ferry Building (Market and Embarcadero Streets), the return walk, back up the hill is gruelingly difficult. The Nob Hill is very steep! After my first somewhat failed walk, I planned my next two walks to end at a cable car stop. I walked down and then took either the California or Powell line cable car back up to the hotel.

Cable Car tour. One evening after my dinner meetings, I walked down to Union Square, caught the Powell/Hyde cable car all the way North up to Fisherman's Wharf. I walked along the wharf area for awhile, then caught the Embarcadero Heritage Streetcar for a ride along the bay all the way South to the Ferry Building. I took some nice pictures of the clock tower and the Oakland Bay Bridge, and then I walked over to the California St Cable Car queue and rode back up the hill to the hotel.

Airport to Hotel. For this trip, I only used public transportation. I took the BART from SFO airport to the Embarcadero station. From there, the hotel is walking distance, but the hill is too steep for me, so I took a taxi about a mile to the hotel. Leaving for home, I took the California Line cable car from my hotel to the Embarcadero station and then took the BART back to the airport.

Room Tip: You are close enough to walk almost anywhere, but beware of the hills, they are steep. Plan your wa...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank jkozik
Reviewed 31 January 2014

A good hotel. The service is good. The room has a good size, but the bathroom is too small. We were 2 adults and 2 children and for our family, we need more space in the bathroom. The location is good, near of Union Square, but how the hotel is in the hill, you need a car or cable car to return to the hotel.

Room Tip: I choose a room with view and the view was perfect!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family