“Great Hotel and Location - Outstanding”

InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco
Ranked #61 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Mark Hopkins in June 2014. Upon arrival, we were greeted by every staff member that we came across. The luggage service was extremely polite and helpful, even adding "Fragile" stickers to the cases of wine that we had purchased in Napa Valley. The room was outstanding, great views and very roomy and clean. It had all the creature comforts that you could imagine. The bed was one of the more comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept on. The concierge was extremely knowledgeable and even assisted us in a more convenient return of our rental car.

This hotel is located within walking distance to Union Square, Chinatown, the Ferry Building and Fisherman's Wharf. If you aren't up to tackling the hills in San Francisco, the cable car runs right by the Mark Hopkins. My only regret is that we weren't able to make it to the Top Of The Mark for drinks and entertainment.

Consider this wonderful hotel for your stay in San Francisco.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,611)

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Mark Hopkins has an old world charm about it. Located on an altitude, it often gets breezy which adds to the likability!

The rooms are decent, service is fine too. No complaints! The restaurant on the top is excellent! offers great views of the city, the food (esp the breakfast) is good too.

Hotels closer to the Piers might make for a better location for a traveller, but this isn't bad either!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheCornerChair
Reviewed 18 July 2014

after a long journey checked in to my hotel and was pleasantly surprised, clean comfortable, fabulous bathroom everything you needed was there. slept very well. Staff very friendly, had breakfast delicious too. good job Mark Hopkins, this had been some hotel in its day although a little tired enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I was traveling with two teenage girls and started out at the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf. Although I thought Fisherman's Wharf would be a good location since we are down there all the time (tours/shopping), I don't believe it provided their first "San Francisco" experience and moved here after 2 days. The staff is very pleasant and accommodating, and it was refreshing to call and actually speak with someone at the front desk. Everything about the hotel is very nice.

Helene, the concierge, is outstanding !! When the previous hotel couldn't help with something, Helene was right on it. She helped us out so much throughout our short stay. She was readily available and returned calls as if I had known her for years. Probably the best concierge I have had the pleasure to deal with (although I think the woman needs a days off - LOL) Thanks Helene !!

Room service staff was excellent, as well.
BEST concierge I have ever had the pleasure to work with.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I recently had a short stay on business and was very disappointed. The check in clerk could not tell me anything about the room assigned. I am in the Platinum Ambassador program and was expecting an upgrade and to be blocked for an upgrade room, as promised by the program. The clerk told me that I was invited to a complementary wine tasting at the Top of the Mark. When I arrived, the lobby was os packed, I could not even exit the elevator. There was an event that evening. I went back down and asked for the MOD, He told me that he would buy me a drink at the bar in the club lounge...yes the club lounge that I was not invited to use despite my being a Platinum Ambassador. He even offered to charge me a supliment for access!! I declined. Even with the MOD present, the charming hostess was busy chatting with other guests. The MOD offered me access for complimentary drinks, but failed to notice that cocktail hour was over and the bar was closed. What cluelessness! The room had nice sheets/linens, but was very well worn and the furniture was in desperate need of replacement. There are so many wonderful hotels in SF! Do yourself a favor, and select a hotel that has pleasant furnishing and capable management/service!!

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank FreqTravDaddy
David V, Manager at InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay at the InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not as enjoyable as we would have liked and that the Top of the Mark Lounge was not able to seat you right away. Our Duty Manager did invite you to utilize the Club Lounge and was in the process of located a server to bring you a glass of wine but was unable to find you after returning from the kitchen. I do apologize for the experience and should you wish to further discuss your experience please do not hesitate to contact me at ICMarkHopkins@IHG.com. Thank you again for your review.

Warm Regards,
David Valencia
Assistant Manager – Front Office

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed in San Francisco at the end of June for the first time, I figure something must have been going on in the city as ALL the hotels were either booked up or had extremely high rates. Luckily we found this hotel and I was very happy with the choice. Location is hard to beat, service was good, and the bed was oh so comfy! Nice amenities in the room including keurig coffee, robe, slippers. I really like how the hotel felt like "home" especially in the bathroom (nice neutral tones rather than stark white). Shower could have used higher pressure, though. Overall a really good choice!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My wife and I were combining a business and pleasure trip. This part of the trip was pleasure. This hotel is older but has class. The lobby is most disappointing as there are no shops like most older hotels have. The bathroom in our room was great but there was not one air vent bringing air into the bathroom. We were there in June so you had to leave the bathroom door open to get any kind of air movement.

Room Tip: There are very few places to eat within walking distance of this hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple