“Elegant hotel, a bit dated, service excelence”

InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco
Ranked #64 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Sacramento, California
“Elegant hotel, a bit dated, service excelence”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed 3 nights for a meeting. Rooms are relatively small(~312 sq feet) for a standard, a little larger for Deluxe. Small bathrooms but nicely appointed with tile. Showerhead was a high efficiency, low flow model. The towels were small and barely adequate. The lobby was spacious. The valet parking was the most expensive I had seen ever in the US at $60/night. The front desk staff were very polite and professional. This is a historic hotel for SF but you will have to accept small and dated rooms. Free WiFi for club members

Room Tip: Don't get a room adjacent to the elevator
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ranishi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (615)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
East Coaster
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I spent a very quick night at the Mark, but the service as always was perfect. The room was comfortable and well appointed. However, try to get a room away from the street, as the windows are not double glazed and the noise from traffic and cable cars is quite loud.

Room Tip: Request a room not on the street side
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 July 2014

It's hard to decide whether this hotel is conveniently located or not. It definitely has incredible views, is well connected by public transportation, and is in the middle of Nob Hill, which is both a
blessing and a curse because Nob Hill is rather steep, and it has a cable car running right by it, which is charming but it also means you might hear the bell (I probably did but didn't realise; I'm used to the decibel level of Manhattan and don't notice city noises anymore).

It's an elegant, classic luxury hotel.
I had little contact with the staff on this trip, but all interactions were professional and pleasant and I definitely felt taken care of, and I recall past experiences at the hotel as friendly and fulfilling.
The concierge marvelously organised my transportation from and to the airport, and for some flowers to be delivered to the room before my arrival, and the Front Desk kindly checked me in early, honouring the membership upgrade.

My Suite had an old school feel to it. The cozy living-room would not have been out of place as an entertaining room in one of the old Railroad Barons' mansions.
The King bed was incredibly plush, with a wealth of cushions. The marble bathroom had separate bathtub and shower, and a wealth of prime amenities for both.
Housekeeping did an incredibly good job both during the morning clean and the evening turndown service.
The views both from the living-room and the bedroom were astounding.

I only had the chance to use the Club Lounge (located in the lobby) once, but it seemed spacious and comfortable, and had some nice looking finger-food to nibble on.
The Top of the Hill bar, which also provides the buffet breakfast, has breathtaking panoramic views. I would recommend a visit even for non-guests, just to enjoy the great mixology, the environment, and the sights.

For as long as I can walk up that hill, I'll be a faithful guest at the Mark Hopkins whenever I happen to be in San Francisco.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
11 Thank DanielKalen
Philadelphia
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Second trip here in a few months. The location is excellent and the view from the room is good. The room is well laid out, with more than enough room for all my needs. The Keurig and toiletries were well stocked, the room very clean. Front desk staff were great - well trained in hospitality. Keeps me coming back

Room Tip: Upper floors with a view of downtown
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I wish that my experience was better here but unfortunately it left a lot to be desired. My cousin had a wedding in June here and I stayed here from Friday night to Sat for this event. Got a little discount because of the wedding but not that much. Rooms were blocked off for the wedding party so we got whatever was left of those blocked off rooms. Requested 2 beds beforehand because there was 3 of us sharing a room but when I checked in, I was told that there was none available. WTH! They expected 3 girls to share 1 bed...was offered a rollaway bed but not for free. It was going to cost $30 extra. Was not going to stress about this since the wedding weekend was stressful enough. When I got to the hotel, there was no one in the front...no greeting or assistance with my luggage. Got to the room and it was a nice room, not modern or anything but clean. It was pretty small. Had a view of the St Francis hotel and the church on the 4th floor. BTW, we did get a rollaway bed and I checked my bill and was not charged for it.

I will not go into details about how the customer service for the wedding but it was not as good as one would expect from a luxury hotel. And especially if we are paying a lot of money to have a wedding here.

As others have said, the customer service here needs a lot of improvement and this hotel is highly overrated. For the cost, I would not recommend staying here. With so many other hotels in the city, the choices are endless!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SXLEE57LIFE
David V, Manager at InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay at the InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco. Please feel free to contact me at ICMarkHopkins@IHG.com should to wish to further discuss your recent stay. Thank you again for your review.

Warm Regards,

David Valencia
Acting Front Desk Manager
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

I booked the Mark Hopkins, after I had stayed there on a business trip 2 years ago. And again it has been a great experience. We originaly planned to stay two nights, and we ended up extending our stay until our plane wss due 2 days later. The staff is very competent, helpful and friendly. The maid left a nice note of gratitude for the tip, and with one of the porters I had an interesting conversation about philosophy in America and Europe. David (?) at the reception desk patiently helped me figure out the best bargain for the extra nights we wanted to book. We enjoyed the benefits of a package including the (extraordinarily generous) breakfast, the valet parking, and a MUNI day pass incl the cable car, which conviently stops right in front of the hotel. Although we sometimes felt tempted to not even leave the room (on the 14th floor), with a great view (towards the Golden Gate Bridge). I am traveling a lot, and usually stay in 4 or 5 * hotels, thus, I know, what to expect. The Mark Hopkins really exceeded my expectations. Flawless. An awesome experience, and a memorable way to end our 3-week holiday in California. An extra plus is, by the way, that the windows in the guest rooms open, and that the WiFi is free of charge for IHG Reward Members.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LiA G
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My son had his reception at the Top of the Mark and it could not have been
better. The service was great, the food was great and what could be better than a birds eye view of San Francisco and the Bay area.
Take your own bottled water. A bottle of Water is $6.50 in the mini bar. . You can purchase
2 cases of water at Wallgreens for $6.50. There is a Waljgreens on every corner.

Room Tip: Famous older hotel but classy, It all seems good. Its a fun place to stay no matter what room i woul...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family