“Great Service and Very Friendly Staff”

The Scarlet Huntington
Ranked #10 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I researched a lot of hotels in the area, and I ran into this hotel. It was voted best boutique style hotel in San Francisco. We gave it shot and it was perfect, we arrived a bit late to our room spent a lot more time in NAPA, the hotel staff went out the way to get our bags and open doors. When I got to the front desk I asked if there was any upgrades available , the girl at the desk said they had a corner suite open, due to the fact that they only had a smoking room open. They allowed me to go up to the room and check it out. It was on the seventh floor over looking the golden gate side. They gave us the room at the same rate of the standard king we previously had. It was a 150.00 a night upgrade for free. The staff was always friendly and for some reason every time I went to open door there was some one from staff to open it for me. The number 4 restaurant in the location has great breakfast it's a overpriced for what you get. It makes a great place to have a drink right before you call it a night. The spa was very clean and the female workers go beyond to make sure that your experience goes perfect. I would stay here again next time I am in the city.

Room Tip: Corner Suites above the 5th floor seems to be the best view.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,438)

Reviewed 30 September 2011

I stayed one night in this hotel earlier this week. I know this area fairly well and have previously stayed at many of the other hotels that are close by. Staying at the Huntington was a fantastic experience for me. As soon as I arrived i was greeted by a friendly doorman who helped me with my luggage. The staff at the front desk were equally friendly and accommodating as was the bellboy who gave me a few helpful tips about the area. The room I was allocated had a spectacular view, was spacious and was very tastefully decorated. Although my stay was restricted to just one night on this occasion I am a regular visitor to the city and will now look to stay here in future if there is room availability. From my recent experiences this hotel far exceeds the local competition like the Fairmont, Mark Hopkins and the Renaissance and for me anyway was very competitive on price.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank 1879fulham
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Had a wonderful 4 night stay at The Huntington and we were upgraded to a huge suite with great views. The hotel is a bit older than what we expected but the service was wonderful - helpful but unobtrusive. The spa was a great way to unwind after long walks up the hils to reach the hotel, but the location was perfect for us - a lot quieter than Union Square but just a short walk to all the shops and equally a short walk toward Polk Street where the nightlife and bars are located.

The suite we stayed in was classiuc old-style in its decor and could use some updates (such as flat screen TVs) so guests should bear it in mind that this is not a flashy sleek hotel.

Reviewed 28 September 2011

As a family of 4 we spent 4 nights at the Huntington at the end of our California trip. We chose it partly for location (which is excellent) and partly because it is a SLH and we have had some good trips to others. Our rooms were nice but with limited storage space. Shame one was right next to the elevator and therefor noisy. The concierge was helpful as were other staff. We dined in the restaurant one night and had a lovely meal albeit a little towards the top of the normal price range for a US city. One really annoying aspect was being charged $10 per day for Internet which is unacceptable nowadays (the only one of 4 hotels on the trip to do so). Overall a nice stay but for the price we paid was nothing special.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We booked our room on the arrival day through internet, and checked in 1/2 hour later. The reservation was ready, and we were rapidly taken to a confortable, well equipped room. In room amenities were great, we just missed the convenience of a minibar.

The staf was corteous and efficient, especially the Front Desk and doormen. Parking is really expensive.

The bar is confortable, and the the decor gives you a good idea of the golden era of the late XIX century.

Reviewed 27 September 2011

We stayed for two nights. We booked on the same day as we planned to stay and got a room on the 4th floor.
The view was good and so is the hotel's location. I was also very impressed by the doormen who were exceptionally helpful and friendly.
However, our room was connected to a neighboring room by a thin door and we could clearly hear our neighbors watching TV and talking. Also the top of the shower rail was rusty, we threw a towel over it and of course it ended up filthy. Finally, the TV was not tuned properly and the staff at reception were totally unhelpful (I asked for directions to union square and they told me to ask the concierge).
For the cost we expected much better.

Reviewed 26 September 2011

I stayed here for a business trip earlier this year and found this older hotel comfortable, friendly and charming. The staff was very friendly in an authentic personal way, not in a manufactured corporate way. I dislike heavy-handed hospitality, and prefer a more personal though not overbearing approach, just my preference when traveling on business.

The room was bright, clean and spacious. Location is walking distance to restaurants and shopping if you have a bit of down time. Though the restaurant in the ground floor is clubby and comfortable as well. The food was fresh and good.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business