“A relaxing day at the spa !”

The Scarlet Huntington
Ranked #10 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 2 April 2012

My husband brought me here for my birthday,we enjoyed a wonderful dinner at the restaurant they have on site, And then off to enjoy a wonderful massage.
The rooms were clean and had a beautiful view of the historical church across way. I would recommended this beautiful historical hotel to anyone who needs a relaxing break.

• Stayed: March 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,438)

Reviewed 31 March 2012

On top of Nob Hill, ask for a room overlooking the park and you'll have great views of Grace Caathedral, the Fairmont and old Mariners Club. The lobby is charming with old world flavor. The rooms haven't been remodeled and some may be small but you could spend your life in happy comfort in the huge suites. And the piano plays Gershwin in the clubby Big Four that serves drinks at reasonable prices. Probably the best value in the city if old and charming is your thing. Not for lovers of The W.

Room Tip: Select a room facing the park
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank jmbIrvine_Ca_
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We have stopped here several times now and have been most satisfied with the high standards. Our room was spacious, clean and well appointed. The staff were most friendly and helpful and we had no problem getting our room early when we arrived from the UK. The bar is a wonderful place for a drink or a meal with its wood paneling and has a very pleasant atmosphere. The hotel is on nob hill which gives you a clue that its on a hill so I'm amazed that some find it necessary to mention it, perhaps they should avail themselves of the hotel gym.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 21 March 2012

From our gracious greeting by the doorman (after an ill-considered walk UP Nob Hill) to the bellman offering us a complimentary pot of tea, our introduction to the Huntington was wonderful.
Our deluxe room was very large and well-appointed. Even though we were right next to the elevators, we never heard disturbing noises. A nice bonus is the windows that open!
The concierge could not have been more helpful, providing a BART schedule to plan our trip to the airport & and offering us the option of printing our boarding passes for us or directing us to the business center to do it ourselves. He also directed us to the closest ATM.
Finally, no stay would be complete without trying the Nob Hill Spa. As guests, we had complimentary use of the locker rooms, sauna, pool, hot tub & Zen Room. With a lovely view out over the city and the option of a spa menu, it was a relaxing way to spend our last afternoon in California. I can see why it is rated #1 in the city.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2012

This hotel started life as a residential apartment building over 50 years ago. The very generously sized rooms reflect this earlier life and are a welcome contrast to the tiny rooms in newer hotels. The hotel is relatively well renovated with a few tired spots, but overall compares very well to any of the top rank traditional hotels.

We live in a Marin suburb and stayed here for a long weekend following some medical work. It was perfect. The staff was wonderful and accommodating in every way. Room service food, which I usually hate, was very good. The bar at the Big Four is quite wonderful and the bartender, Tay, is a master of good manners and grace.

There is the usual annoying charge for WiFi and an exorbitant charge for parking though in fairness all parking in the area is very expensive.

The spa is very pretty but the gym is tiny. The aerobic equipment is dated, there are not enough free weights and there are no mats for stretching and floor work. This is my only complaint about the hotel. There is a 24 hour fitness down the street at the Fairmount.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2012

This is an older, charming hotel that I was referred to while attending a conference in SF. Lived all my life in the bay area and this was the first time staying here. Reminded me of old SF charm and character. Rooms were large good size, bathrooms were nicely updated. But the most impressive thing for me was staff remembering my name, and greeting me by my first and/or last name. Never has happened to me before. A little weird at first, but you get used to it like living in a high class place where you are recognized. Spa had a workout room that was small and only a few machines, but I guess you come here not for the workout but the spa. Wish I had time to use the jacuzzi and indoor pool. Just outside the pool are some lounge chairs that on a beautiful afternoon you can see across the city. Beautiful.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I found a great rate for this hotel online and booked it based strictly on the location and price. It turned out to be a solid decision. The hotel is a little dated, but definitely in a charming, ironic sort of way. The bar/ restaurant was all wood paneled and gave a sophisticated, retro vibe. The reception desk is small, but the staff was always friendly and efficient. Each day I was greeted coming and going by the bell man and they were always welcoming. My room was a superior queen and was large for San Francisco, especially for the price and my view was fantastic. The bed was big and comfortable and the windows opened, which I loved. I was on the 8th floor near the elevator and never had a problem with noise. The location was within walking distance of Union Square and Chinatown, but was also close to public transportation.

There were just a couple of small things worth mentioning that might be perceived by some as negative, but I would just consider them a little "heads up":

1. Room service is extremely expensive. I feel like it's par for the course for a hotel in San Francisco, but if you are expecting "budget" room service, this hotel doesn't have that many low price options. On my last night there I asked for delivery menus for restaurants in the area and the front desk staff happily obliged.

2. The hotel is on a steep incline. After my first day I learned how to use the trolley system so the steep incline was not so bad as the trolley stops immediately in front of the hotel. Cabs are also readily available. Going downhill is no problem, but going up can get taxing.

3. Lastly, and I really hate to mention it, but on my second day there the concierge had a nose bleed and he gave me directions and a map while holding a Kleenex to his nose. I had read reviews that stated that the concierge staff wasn't friendly. I did not find this to be the case, but he was extremely distracted with the nose bleed. I guess in hindsight he was trying to continue to be accommodating even though he was having a medical issue, but it would have probably been better to have left the concierge desk for a bit to pull himself together.

Overall, this hotel was a great choice. I feel like I had a really good San Francisco experience in a safe, clean and friendly hotel at a great price. I would definitely return and would gladly recommend The Huntington to friends.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 811, right near the elevator, and the room was spacious with a great view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo