“Workout and a great room”

The Scarlet Huntington
Ranked #10 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 28 September 2012

We always seemed to be going up hill so got a good workout while staying at the Huntington. Room was fantastic, clean and spacious. Staff were helpful especially the doormen who offered to bring up a high chair when they saw we had a child with us. Convienently located to what we were doing while in town and also quiet and safe. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,438)

Reviewed 27 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for three nights at the end of a one month trip around the world, it was our finale splash out but for US$400 per night it was not great value.
The positves were some charm, a lovely upgrade to a large and spacious suite with views over the city and down to the water, and the staff were good on the whole, The disappointing part was the details, as the fourth SLH we stayed at in as many weeks it just didn't match up, and it was the most pricey far.
The rennovation from the original 1925 apartments were lacking, the lovely antique style furtniture was charning but the bathroom and kitchen were extremely out of date.
It was the only hotel we did not have either complimentary wifi or tea and coffee facilities, to pay US$8 each for a cup of tea in the morning was frightening, when there was a kitchen but with no facilties in it,
The 'big 4' resturant was very elegnt.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I stayed at the Huntington Hotel for 5 nights of bliss. The hotel is clean and neat, and has an old world charm that I was delighted in.
I arrived on a Monday and was greeted by very nice staff, and told I got complementary tea or coffee. What a delightful surprise! After checking in to my Jr. Suite, I was brought up to a very large, nicely appointed suite. Shortly after my tea arrived with two little cookies. Perfect! It was the start of a very enjoyable week. The room was large and the bathroom marble tiled and lots of mirrors. The tub was very deep and perfect for soaking, and the shower strong. The king bed was luxurious. I would go back just for the bed...
The Huntington is close to the cable cars and most public transportation. However, it is at the top of Nob Hill, so either be prepared to get transport, or your calves and shins will get a workout. After a couple of days I got used to it, and enjoyed the change in terrain.
The pool and hot tub were nice and serene. I enjoyed the pool as it wasn't too cold and the hot tub wasn't overly chlorinated.
The front door staff and bellman were perfect gentlemen and always greeted me pleasantly. As a solo traveler I found that welcoming and refreshing.
The restaurant, Big 4, was a delight. I had breakfast there each morning, and they have amazing coffee! It is strong and served nicely. Breakfast runs $16-20 per person, but you have plenty to eat. It went well with the newspaper that was at my door every morning.
The concierge was very helpful in getting me discount tickets for a bus tour and helped me with a sushi restaurant selection. I recommend using them.
My final night there I enjoyed dinner in the dining room. I had one glass of wine, the filet and dessert and coffee. The bill came to just under $90. But it was worth it. The filet was sublime with gorgonzola butter and cooked perfectly. It came with a portabella mushroom, asparagus and watercress and garlic mashed potatos. The Pinot Noir was a perfect accompaniment. My waitress, Facile C. was outstanding. If you happen to get her, let her make recommendations. She is a gem!
All-in-all my experience at the Huntington was outstanding. The staff, the room, the food, and the location was top-notch. They pride themselves on serenity and comfort, so I would not recommend this for children.
I can't wait until I can go back to this lovely hotel. Oh and did I mention there is a park across the street? :)

Room Tip: Ask for a park view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Skeenka
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Huntington Hotel is well located - a walk downhill to Pier 39 and the waterfront. I stayed here for one night after a long trip and the spa was a great way to relax. The room was clean and spacious and the hotel has a historic feel. A nice place to stay if you want to be centrally located and also relax.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2012

I stayed at the Huntington in June.... Everything was wonderful...the room, the service the food and the spa. The location is a great base to go anywhere in SF/. Everyone who works there is so kind,polite and professional. The food is delicious.... It all contributed to a very pleasurable stay. The charming ambience.....is alluring.... It is very romantic... I have traveled the world... and the service is the best I have received anywhere... When in SF....The Huntington is the place to stay!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by just how much I enjoyed my stay at the Huntington Hotel & Nob Hill Spa. It is a much smaller property than the famous Fairmont across the street, so it has an intimate feel that is enhanced by the exceptional personalized service of its great staff. The doormen were uniformly friendly and helpful. I stayed in the hotel for the weekend in order to run in the San Francisco Marathon. When one doorman saw me walk in kind of funny and found out from his colleague that I had just run the race, he made a point of coming over to talk to me and asked questions about the race. That kind of friendly gesture was just one example of the homey feel of the customer service at the hotel. The room I had was really comfortable and huge. I really did not expect such a large room with a sitting area, desk, kitchenette, big bathroom and walk-in closet/dressing room for the very reasonable price I paid. The spa was heavenly too. My message therapist had such a gentle and comforting air about her that I was instantly put at ease, while her running background made her intuitively understand where I was hurting so that the message experience was almost perfection. The relaxation lounge was really nice too with delicious, healthy snacks and a beautiful pool outside. I also want to give a shout out to the very friendly and helpful driver of the hotel car, which provided free transportation to local areas during weekdays. That was a great service. All in all, I absolutely loved my stay at the hotel and would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 September 2012

For $450 a night, one might expect little things like a box of tissues in the room, but no, you won't find that or any other nice touch that should come with a room at this price. The hotel is fine, but not great. A little musty and dated. The biggest let down was the staff; while the doormen were terrificly kind, the desk staff and concierge had an edge to them. The two concierges we dealt with were useless in directing us to interesting sights in the city or to restaurants that might suit us well. Because of the people who work there (except the doormen, who were great), the hotel has a strange and negative feel to it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple