“Awful”

Ranked #10 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
palm beach, fl
“Awful”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I cant begin to describe our shock at this supposed luxury hotel.
Old world luxury would be lovely.
This hotel is mostly just dingy.
Our first room was cavernous, old and musty. We changed rooms and were delivered to a bright and very pleasant room -- thinking maybe everything was fine.
Then we ordered room service for dinner and almost died.
Shockingly unedible.
We moved the next day to the Mandarin Oriental and discovered what a luxury hotel could be.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank rslcb
HuntingtonHotelSF, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Dear rslcb,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent Huntington Hotel stay with fellow TripAdvisor travelers. I sincerely apologize that we shocked you in a negative way, as we certainly strive to have the opposite effect on our guests.

We do have a mix of both traditional and contemporary rooms here at the Huntington, and it sounds as if your second room better suited your needs. I'm very sorry to hear that the Room Service meal you were served was so beneath your expectations. That's not something that we hear often, and your comments have already been shared with our kitchen staff so corrective measures can be made.

We are heading toward a renovation of our rooms soon, and I hope that in the future you'll give us another chance to create a better impression of the Huntington Hotel.

All the best to you in your future travels...

Public Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Good size bedroom great size bathroom. Overall a good stay but not impressive; thought was awkward when we first got at the elevator the guy carrying ours bags literally squeezed us in the same tiny elevator to bring our bags at the same time up in the room. I just thought would be much more polite to let us go first. Just saying..

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RBraga
Dear RBraga,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent visit with fellow TripAdvisor travelers. While I'm happy to hear that you were pleased with the size of your guest room and bathroom, I'm sorry to hear about your uncomfortable experience in the elevator on your way up to your room. We do have rather small elevators, as the building was built in the 1920s, and yes, it would have been more comfortable for you to be in the elevator with more space, and for the bellman to bring your bags up separately. I hope you'll accept our apologies for that.

I hope you enjoy many future safe and happy travel experiences, and we hope to see you again upon your next visit to San Francisco.

Cheers,

Stuart, Florida
Reviewed 18 September 2013

A pleasure to stay in this fine hotel. The rooms are spacious and well appointed, with high ceilings and individual AC/heat controls, the staff and service personnel are outstanding. Don't forget to visit the cozy dark bar, the lovely indoor infinity pool and the sundeck. Wifi is available free of charge in the hotel lobby, but If you want wifi in your room there is a charge of $10.00 per day which I find odd and out of touch with the times..

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Oakland, California
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Spent the night here last week-end as part of our 10 year wedding anniversary.
The hotel is housed in an older, stately building that has a lot of beautiful original detailing. While the age of the building is old the finishes and state of the property and rooms is excellent. The rooms are huge, granted we had a suite but even then the rooms are very generous and plush. The bed and furnishings were very comfortable and we had a very nice view of the southern part of downtown and part of the bay.
The staff was very friendly and courteous.
We ordered breakfast for room service and it was good.
The location is very central on nob hill, we walked to the Tonga room at the Fairmont for a drink and later to the Top of the Mark for a drink as well.
I would say my only minor complaint is that the tub/shower has a deep tub and although I am 6ft tall climbing into it was tricky.
What else...free wi-fi was nice, a compliment of magazines to read, an ihome radio to charge my iphone were all nice. As some have said not having a coffee maker in the room is a drag but not the end of the world.
At the end of the day it was a lovely place and very special for the occasion. Spendy but I think we got our money's worth.

Room Tip: Not surprisingly ask for a upper floor room, depending on how high you go you either get a nice down...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear 21senor_pep_e,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us...and happy belated 10 year anniversary! That's quite a milestone.

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our detailing and architecture -- we've been around for a long time, and it's terrific to hear that that aspect of our hotel was appealing to you. You're right in stating that our rooms are larger than most. As we were originally built in the 1920s as residential apartments, the footprint of our rooms is larger than a standard large city hotel room. I'm so glad that we were a home away from home for you during your visit -- that's our goal!

Also, we're extremely pleased that our staff consistently gets such high marks from our guests. We're proud of the service our guests receive, and we have many long-time loyal guests as a result...we hope you'll become one!

Again, thank you for taking the time to review your stay, and we hope to see you again soon. Maybe for your 11th anniversary?

All the best,

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This is an old hotel and is very well maintained. The location of this hotel is perfect. The cable car stop is right in front of the hotel. Union square and Chinatown is a couple of blocks away from the hotel. Couple of things that stopped me from giving this hotel 5 stars is one the elevators in the hotel are very slow, the receptionist and the other staff are not very friendly, by that I don't mean that they are rude but they are just to the point. No extra greetings, may be that is their professionalism. The room service and breakfast are very expensive. The internet is paid, I expect free internet or free breakfast or some other extra amenity. The doormen were very gracious. We had no issues at anytime. The parking in the area is very expensive. Half a block east the overnight parking is $36.00, however half a block west the overnight parking is $30.00. Would stay here again in a heartbeat. Would also highly recommend it for families with kids.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed at the Huntington for a couple of nights during our tour of California. We were thrilled with the location of the hotel as it was so well situated, particularly for using the trolley. The room was very large and well appointed. The concierge was most helpful in locating a fantastic Chinese food restaurant that we never would have discovered on our own. He also assisted us with trolley passes and information on San Francisco. Alcatraz was definitely an attraction to see while visiting this wonderful city. The Huntington makes a very comfortable base from which to explore and we would definitely stay there again and will recommend this hotel to anyone visiting San Francisco.

Room Tip: Our room faced the front and had a wonderful view of the park square and we could watch the trolley...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tbonns
HuntingtonHotelSF, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear Tbonns,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I'm happy that you truly enjoyed your visit! I love hearing how our Concierge helped you find a great Chinese restaurant and helped with cable car and Alcatraz passes. It sounds like you had a great taste of what San Francisco has to offer!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and your experience with your friends who plan on visiting San Francisco. We truly appreciate it, and we hope to see you again soon!

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 12 September 2013

If you’re a business traveler or just a traveler with modern expectations of how a 21st century hotel in a 24-hour city should operate, I would not recommend the Huntington Hotel. While a charming building in a great SF Nob Hill location, I was incredibly disappointed on my recent two-night stay. I had a room on the 12th floor – room 1205 (which was a premium room), but it was one of the non-renovated suites. The interior gave me the feeling of walking back into the 1950s, reminiscent of my grandmother’s boudoir. To continue with that same theme, the bathroom had not been touched since Eisenhower was the sitting American President! When I went to shower after a rather sleepless night, I quickly realized that the shower was inoperable (when I pulled the lever to imitate the showerhead, the peg kept going reverting back to tub mode). After about 10-minutes of finagling a solution, I threw in the towel (literally) and ended up taking a bath! At nearly 400 USD a night, I want a shower!

Before leaving the hotel for my meetings after my first night, I informed the front desk of my issues with the shower. After some back and forth, they agreed to move me to a renovated room later in the afternoon. I was moved down to the 5th floor (same stack – room 505). While the updated room was quite nice, the internet did not work, as I was informed that the concrete and steel in some rooms of the Huntington is too “thick” to allow the quality signal to penetrate. I then moved rooms yet again…. This time to a suite on the 10th floor (room 1001). The room was palatial in size, but again, outfitted with an interior from an era gone by!

Upon checking out after my 2nd night, I received neither an apology from management or a reduction in my rate for the trouble I experienced. It was at the moment when I decided to make that my first and last stay at the Huntington Hotel. If you’re looking for old-world (emphasis on “old”) & rustic charm and you’re a tourist without internet needs with all the patience in the world for slow elevators, shower snafus and stuffy interiors, the Huntington is your hotel! Don’t be surprised by the prices though, they’re steep!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank matthewjscholl
Dear matthewjscholl,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I'm extremely disappointed to hear about how dissatisfied you were with your visit. It's our sincere intention to make our guests feel as if the Huntington Hotel is their home away from home while they're in San Francisco, and we very clearly missed that mark with you. It seems as though you were placed in two of our more traditional rooms. We do have a mix of traditional and more contemporary rooms throughout the hotel. I'm pleased to say that we will be undergoing a renovation soon, and that should eliminate the variation throughout our rooms that you experienced while you were with us.

Regarding the WiFi connection issues you encountered, that should not have happened. We're currently working to address the apparent inconsistencies in the WiFi signal throughout the hotel, as we recognize that it presents a huge inconvenience for our guests. Lastly, you absolutely should have received an apology upon check-out, and I'm very sorry that you didn't. I realize that you left the hotel extremely dissatisfied, but I do hope that in the future you'll allow us the opportunity to rectify the situation and change your mind about us. I'm confident that we'll be able to do so.

Wishing you all the best in your future travels...