“12 wonderful days with a 5 star service”

The Scarlet Huntington
Ranked #13 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Geneva, Switzerland
“12 wonderful days with a 5 star service”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I was one of the very first customer post-renovation, I checked in on the reopening day. I had never stayed in this hotel before, so I can't compare pre to post renovation.

I can say though that my stay was, from the very beginning to the very end, amazing.

Room
I was in a Deluxe Room on the 9th floor with an astonishing view over the city. The room was extremely beautiful, stylish, very spacious, a lot of storage space, even more than what I needed (and I had a huge suitcase!). The bathroom fully new, size above average. But the best feature of the room was the bed. I think I have never slept in such a comfortable bed before. I wish I had the same bed at home. And the sleep quality was great too. The cleaning of the room was flawless every day. The cleaning lady also passed every evening around 7pm to make sure no further service was needed.

Staff
Staff is the real shiny star of the hotel. Everybody, from the doormen to the reception desk, from the concierge to the cleaning ladies, from the room service to the restaurant, does an exceptional job providing a spectacular service, for whatever you need, always professionally, always with a smile. I can't speak highly enough of them, and I want to thank them all for making my stay so positively memorable. I hope they are reading actually!

Restaurant
I personally really like The Big 4 style very much, I had breakfast and dinner there a few times and always enjoyed the service and the atmosphere. The food was ok. I mean, all food is of very good quality, don't get me wrong. However from such a place I would expect a more sophisticated menu, dishes are rather basic. But I heard from a waiter that the new chef is working on a new menu.

Location
the location is very convenient, in the heart of Nob Hill, quiet elegant area but at walking distance from everything. It was extremely convenient for me as I could walk to the office (Financial District) on foot in 15min and also enjoy the great views.

Spa
I had a manicure with Tina at the hotel spa on my last day, and she did a great job, I definitely recommend the spa services which are a nice addition to the already outstanding services of the hotel.

I believe this hotel should be a 5 star.

2 Thank Federica_C_1983
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Frederica_C_1983,

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a wonderful, detailed review! Our paramount concern is our guests experience, and to hear that your stay was, from beginning to end, "amazing", is the best feedback we can hope for.

The staff here work very hard and efficiently to ensure each guest is well taken care for, as such they will be elated when I share this with them. I see that over the course of 12 days you took advantage of most of the services our lovely hotel has to offer, including the Nob Hill Spa and Big 4 restaurant. It is true that our new chef, Kevin Scott is indeed creating a new menu. I understand he is an incredible chef and we have high hopes for the new cuisine that will be offered. Thank you again for taking the time to applaud all of the little details we offer here. We very much look forward to welcoming you back, please let us know ahead of time when you will be planning to do so.

William Miller IV
Public Relations
Wmiller@thescarlethotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Everything here is five-star. From the check-in and welcome to the all-new furnishings and the very attentive and professional staff, this is one of our top hotels anywhere. Decor is anything but bland. Lots of colour and texture; not one of those plain corporate hotels for sure. Sleep quality is excellent with such comfortable beds. Located in the scenic heart of the city, you can get on a streetcar at the door and enjoy what San Francisco has to offer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vacances04
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Vacances04,

Thank you so much for your note! 'The jewel of San Francisco' is quite an accolade. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our attentive staff, extremely comfortable beds, and the rich colors and textures we incorporated into the new aesthetics.

Thank you for your comments about the location and proximity to the trolley. We hope to welcome you back soon.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here many times over the years before the recent renovation. The location is ideal --- right in the center of Nob Hill but the Huntigtton Hotel has lost its old world charm. The rooms are nice and clean but the lobby has completely changed the atmosphere of the hotel . The decor of orchids, overstuffed couches and lovely old antiques have now been replaced with bright red and purple velvet on the walls and on the cartoon style couches and chairs . There are also little chandeliers and crystals hanging from the lobby similar to what my grand-daughter has in her sweet sixteen style bedroom. Thankfully the Big Four restaurant wasn't changed although they now have a new chef. What the Huntigton still has is a fabulous location but even so I doubt we will be returning. There are other hotels on Nob Hill that we will be visiting on our next trip.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Attyhbz
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Attyhbz,

We appreciate your taking the time to let us know about your experience at the hotel. I'm terribly sorry to hear that you aren't happy with the new decor, especially seeing as how you've been our guest for many years. We understand the renovation is a sensitive issue with folks, as the hotel is near and dear to many. San Francisco is a special place, rich with culture and surrounded by a vibrant community. We wanted to incorporate what makes the city special with the new aesthetic. The chandeliers you noticed in the lobby have actually been there a great many years. Please do come back and see us again when you are on Nob Hill, whether it be for drinks and dinner in the Big 4 restaurant, or another look at the hotel.
Twin Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Amazing renovation! The entire staff was excellent. From bellman to room service anytime of the day they are there to meet your needs. Wish we would have had more time to take in the beautiful church across the street. Our room was enormous for a boutique hotel. We would definitely stay there again! The car service to SFO was a nice touch

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Jennifer R
Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for your spectacular review! Our staff will be delighted when I share this with them. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your large room (most of the rooms at the Scarlet Huntington are larger than industry standards), the top tier service, and location. Come back and see us again, Grace cathedral across the street is just incredible. I would recommend getting a hot tea or coffee (there's actually a small Pete's cafe inside the entrance of the church), checking out the stained glass windows, and walking the labyrinth located in the courtyard. We looking forward to welcoming you back; thanks again for taking the time to review us :)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We checked in the first day after the remodel. We'd not stayed here before, so we had no expectations.

The welcome from the staff was great and, throughout our stay, the staff was among the best of any hotel where I've stayed. They were truly exceptional.

The remodel was fine by us. The towels are fantastic and the beds were nice. Keep in mind that the HVAC wasn't changed (it was hard to find the right temperature in our room) and the gym is on the small side and the equipment is a bit old.

We got free internet in our room. I'm not sure if that's a new policy, but it was nice.

We enjoyed our stay overall. If you want a great staff, this was a hit.

1 Thank cpgecko
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Cpgecko,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a thoughtful review. I'm so glad to hear our staff made you feel welcome and provided you with the top tier service we're known for. I see that you also enjoyed our fine linens and towels; we took great care in selecting such items for the hotel. Thank you again for the review!
Pebble Beach, California
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Bordello. What was a classic comfortable hotel has been Ruined by extensive , Singapore inspired renovations. Had previously stayed nearly 25 times over the last ten years.... Never again.
Lobby looks like a bordello. Rooms almost the same ...

WHY ?

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you liked the Huntington.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank laoban173
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Laoban173,

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear that our new decor is not congruent with your tastes. The intent of the renovation was to take care of the structure, which needed much attention, as well as celebrate a modern look with a nod to the traditional components.

The updated decor draws inspiration from a Peranakan heritage – derived from the blended cultures of 15th century Chinese immigrants in modern-day Malaysia and Singapore – woven together with San Francisco’s history and diversity. Thank you again for taking the time to review us; we greatly appreciate feedback from our guests. I do hope that you reconsider, and come back to see us again.
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I recently spent 4 nights at The Scarlet Huntington. I booked my stay through an online third party and was skeptical of the accommodations.
From the time I arrived, from the doorman to the front desk, the maintenance man changing light bulbs to the room service (who so graciously was at my room within minutes when I needed help opening a bottle of wine), I could not have been more impressed with the staff and service. Everyone was incredibly welcoming and helpful. I thought this service may wear out or dwindle with time, but I continued to be impressed until check out.
The entire hotel has been refurbished. The beautiful furnishings were new and comfortable. It was very evident that the staff took pride in these changes and continually inquired if everything was as I had hoped. My room was surprisingly spacious with a stunning view of the city and hills beyond. I did not indulge in a spa treatment, but as a hotel guest was encouraged to use the pool, whirlpool, steam room, and sauna at the spa - all exceeded my expectations and enhanced my stay.
The location of the hotel was ideal for me as I worked all day and had time to explore the city at night. With a central location, I walked to sight-see and find dinner each evening, never concerned for safety. Trolley cars run the street right outside the hotel and were helpful if I ever did not want to trek up that hill after a long day.
I am planning a return trip to San Francisco with my husband in a few months and will most definitely try to stay at The Scarlet Huntington again.

2 Thank kmalcore
Dear Kmalcore,

Thank you so much for your glowing review! We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay while in town on business. We're renowned for the fantastic service we provide, and our staff just love reading the accolades our guests provide. Please do come and see us again when you and your husband are back in town. We'll ensure that you both enjoy a fantastic trip in San Francisco.