“New hotel - sf history” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Guildford, United Kingdom
“New hotel - sf history”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed 2 days after the hotel re-opened. The rooms are an excellent size, nice furnished and our room was not as loud at the web page may have you believe!!

The only issue we had was the shower - a pull (very very hard) and turn. Once you get it working the better.

It's a city centre hotel so the higher the better.

Service is excellent - and very attentive.

Breakfast makes you realise what an institution this place is - loved by the locals - and the early evening the restaurant and bar is busy.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Chris H.,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful review. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Scarlet Huntington! I see that you found the rooms to be quiet, spacious, and nicely furnished.

I have addressed the issue regarding the shower handle with our staff. I am told that the issue may be due to the hardware being brand new.

Thank you for noting the excellent service we provide, and the overall great impression we left you with. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your return to San Francisco.

Public Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

While the rooms & bathrooms are of a nice size, the décor is cold/hard and does not fit the architecture; the rooms have no charm. I understand that this is a recent change with the new ownership; it's too bad they have no sense of what's appropriate for a building of this style and history. There was only one person working at check-in with at least three parties in line; the concierge did not assist, and check-in took a long time. The hotel was not at all full, and we were given a room next to a family with a baby. It was an adjoining room so the door (rather than a solid wall) allowed more crying to come through at 3 a.m. When we told the desk person about this at check-out, he said he was sorry to hear it but did nothing to mollify the situation. On the positive side, the doorman was very helpful, and the location was great for us. Other than the crying baby, the room was very quiet as our room was not on the street side. I would only stay here again if I got a very good price, wanted to be in that location, and wasn't expecting a charming hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the street side to make sure you have a quieter room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Trvlquestions,

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to review us, and to provide us with your feedback. I was most displeased to hear about the issue you noted with the front desk and the noise you heard in the adjacent room. Our front desk agents are instructed to offer our guests a different room if the one they are staying in is unsatisfactory for any reason. I have informed our management of this issue and it will be addressed immediately. Additionally, I do apologize our new décor is not congruent with your tastes. We are often applauded for the fashion forward aesthetic (indeed, we are being featured on an 'interior design tour of SF'); however we understand that a bold décor will not be loved by everyone.

On another note, I see that you enjoyed our fantastic location atop Nob Hill, and our exceptional
doorman. The items you have noted are being addressed immediately; and you can expect a different, improved experience when you come back to see us.

atlanta, ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

I am writing this from our lovely and very spacious room overlooking Huntington park. Decor is fun; not your usual hotel decor. Staff is super friendly and professional. TA forums recommended a number of hotels in Union Square....so happy I did not take their advice. Love this location and liked exploring neighborhoods in Nob Hill and Russian Hill. We would return in a heartbeat!!

Room Tip: Loved our room overlooking California St.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Jfitzp1741,

Thank you so much for your glowing review! I'm so pleased to hear you're enjoying your stay at the Scarlet Huntington. The rooms overlooking Huntington Park offer such a special view; unparalleled in the city. Nob Hill is often referred to as 'the crown jewel' of San Francisco for good reason!

Thank you again for taking the time to review us. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your return to the city!

Montville, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed at The Huntington for 4 nights in May. After some of the reviews about the renovation I was expecting a bordello and while I wouldn't choose to furnish my own home in this style, the decor was fine. We arrived around noon and our room was ready for us. The room was very spacious and we had a nice view of Huntington Park and Grace Cathedral. The only cons to the room were the tricky shower faucets and the outlets didn't charge unless the light switch was on, we ended up charging our phones in the bathroom overnight. We kept the AC on at night so the noise was not bad except one night one of our neighbors got a bit loud. Most of the staff was very friendly. We ate at The Big Four for breakfast twice, the food and service were very good but the prices and decor were not. We didn't get a chance to use it but the gym is teeny. Our favorite feature was the complimentary weekday car service, very convenient. Overall we had a wonderful stay and hope to do so again in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Karen_marie7,

First and foremost, I'd like to thank you for providing your thoughtful feedback regarding your recent stay at the Scarlet Huntington in San Francisco. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. I see that you stayed in one of our rooms overlooking the park; that view is one of our staffs favorites! You also mentioned that you had an enjoyabe experience using our complimentary car service! I'm always glad when guests utilize that service. The hotel recently purchased a top of the line Cadillac CTS-V which is incredible to ride in. Ursula, our driver, knows the city intimately and can get you anywhere you need to go, safely and swiftly.

In regards to the issues yo had, I will see to it that these are addressed immediately. The outlets are designed to charge your electronic accessories regardless of whether the lights are on or not.
If you experience the aforementioned issues in the future, feel free to call the front desk and we will amend the situation immediately.

Thank you again for your thoughtful review. We look forward to welcoming you back and accommodating you down the road.

Buffalo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

We were able to stay at the Huntington just as it was re-opening as the "Scarlet" Huntington. For the price we paid, it was a fabulous stay. Unfortunately, it wouldn't have been that wonderful if we had paid double that amount. New decor could be called Shanghai tacky, but rooms were spacious and literally everything was brand new. Actually had to have sheets replaced with some that had been laundered as ours smelled right out of the package!.
Plusses: friendly, helpful staff, great location, Peets Coffee across the street in basement of Grace Cathedral, and free spa.
Minuses: desk manager was a bit prickly, mini-bars not working at that time so had to use ice to keep water cool, room walls very thin--could always hear next door, lots of street noise…. all small things but all could be overlooked for the rate we paid.
Would stay again at a reduced rate, but they just don't have the same "ambience" as The Fairmont.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank alvasurg
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Alvasurg,

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I see that you found great value in our hotel, as well as friendly and helpful staff, all in a great location. Thank you for your input on the issues you noted. In the future if you hear noise from the street or another room, please alert us and we will do our best to provide you with a different room. We will address the other concerns you had, especially the mini bar.

Thank you again for the 4 star review and the feedback. We look forward to accommodating you in the future!
Gold River, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

It's only fair to remark that my wife and loved the old Huntington, and we were assured that the post renovation Huntington would continue the spirit of elegance and charm of this lovely hotel. We spent many a wonderful weekend in this hotel, and it was perhaps the last vestige of old San Francisco.

Well, one has only to walk into the lobby of the new Huntington to be extraordinarily disappointed. It looks as if a brothel from Bejing mated with a Russian sauna. I don't think I have used the word "garish" in the last ten years, but whatever else it might be, rule out the word elegant.

We continued on to the bar and chatted with an old friend. To say that they were disappointed is a mild understatement. Gone is the ambience and the wonderful chef, and new "rules" are everywhere.

Book this hotel if you never stayed at the old Huntington Hotel. I'm sure the view and service are fine. But something wonderful has been taken from San Francisco, and it's where my wife and I will leave our hearts.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank leytap
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Leytap,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We value our guests feedback, especially those whom have been staying with us for many years.

I apologize for your dissatisfaction with the new décor. Our intent behind the renovation was to care for the structure, which needed much attention. We also wanted to build upon the charm, graciousness and exceptionally high standards that define The Huntington Hotel and Big 4 Restaurant.

Throughout its' history, the hotel has been a pioneer in many ways. Upon its completion, the building was the first steel reinforced high rise building west of the Mississippi. In the 1950's, owner/manager Dorothy Fritz Cope was one of the first female executives in the city, pioneering the way for women wishing to advance beyond their 'homemaker' status. The former Huntington created a standard for grace, style, and service. This year we believed it was time to raise the bar yet again; the re-designed interior is a step ahead of the curve, embodying an international couture with San Francisco's rich history.

Please do provide us with another chance to accommodate you. Thank you again for your review.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Scarlet Huntington for five nights and it was amazing.

The decor modern / quirky and similar to other international hotels we have stayed in. We liked the renovation and the room was spacious. There was a great balance between old fittings and modern furniture. The artist impression pictures make it look dark but it is actually a very bright hotel.

The Big 4 restaurant was gorgeous and cocktails some of the best I have had.

The spa was disappointing. I was told I could use the changing room as it was weekend and people not staying in the hotel needed to use them. They told me this as I was getting changed in front of other women. Embarrassing to say the least. In the end I went up to my room, got changed and went down in my dressing gown but had to walk through the foyer. You are also not allowed to swim(do laps) in the pool, which my boyfriend was told off about.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer G
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Jennifer G,

Thank you for your valuable feedback, and for the four star review! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the new decor. Indeed, we had an 'international decor' aesthetic in mind when we redesigned the hotel. We agree with you about the lighting; the large windows bring in incredible natural light that can be difficult to capture in a photograph. I'm also pleased to hear you enjoyed the Big 4 restaurant and the wonderful cocktails they serve.

In regards to your experience in the spa- I'm terribly sorry for the misconduct that occurred. I addressed the issue immediately upon receiving your review. On busy weekends, we request that our guests whom are not receiving spa treatments change into their robes in their room, so that the spa's customers may have more space in the changing room. That being said, it is completely unacceptable for our attendants to make this request while a guest is changing. I have addressed this issue with the spa staff, and you have our word that it will not happen again.

Thank you again for your excellent review! Please come back and see us again.

Wmiller@thescarlethotels.com