It pains me to say that one of the most historic and classically beautiful San Francisco hotels has recently been converted into what looks like a vampire brothel. The redesign of this hotel is so puzzling to me, I truly cannot understand it. The now "Scarlet" Huntington has been redesigned such that their original beautiful white wood walls with crown molding have been covered with cheap red faux velour fabric. Beautifully upholstered club chairs have been replaced with faux velour couches in bright red, purple, green--essentially any color in the rainbow--that give you a headache just looking at them. The overall design of the lobby resembles the pediatrics wing of your local hospital, without the children's books and toys. The guest rooms, once calm and comforting, are now outfitted with green lizard skin headboards and gilded furniture. Are you familiar with Quagmire's bachelor pad in Family Guy? I feared the flip of a light switch would result in the lights turning down, a disco ball descending from the ceiling, and the bed flipping over to reveal a heart-shaped headboard and zebra sheets.
Overall, the decor is loud, tasteless and looks as though it was borrowed from the set designers of True Blood. I understand the need to update an old hotel and I, myself, am a contemporary and modern design enthusiast, but this redesign falls so flat in its attempt at modern design that I am certain a 5-year-old child could design with more grace than this.
The service is friendly and the restaurant is still wonderful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Designed to spark the imagination and provide an adventure for the senses, the much beloved and newly renovated Huntington Hotel re-emerges in May 2014 from a $15 million renovation as The Scarlet Huntington. The Scarlet Huntington builds upon the property's original charm, graciousness and exceptionally high standards while introducing locals and visitors to a unique and avant-garde style that is influenced by a vibrant Singapore Peranakan heritage woven together with the opulence of San Francisco. More than just a name, The Scarlet possesses a distinguished charm and charismatic aura, likened to a gracious hostess who indulges guests with a luxurious stay experience. Providing a warm ad familiar welcome, the iconic red of the former Huntington Hotel's exterior - as displayed in the brick facade and illuminated sign high atop the hotel - will permeate the new aesthetic, representing the hotel's heritage while embracing the passion and allure defined by The Scarlet; offering uninhibited luxury to every guest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your The Scarlet Huntington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Huntington Hotel & Nob Hill San Francisco
- The Huntington Hotel And Nob Hill Spa