“the best hotel in SF”

Ranked #14 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Olathe, Kansas
“the best hotel in SF”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Great views, friendly people and walking distance to many fine places to eat. The rooms are large, clean and quiet. I have been many times but not in recent years and was very glad to be back again for a quick trip.

Room Tip: high floor on the corner
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank JimOB1
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear JimOB1,

Thank you so much for your laudatory review! 'the best hotel in SF is quite an achievement, and we agree with you! As someone who has been coming to stay with us for many years, your words of praise mean a great deal to us.

Thank you again for taking the time. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your return to the city. Please allow me to set up your accommodations in the future.

Public Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Fairhope, Alabama
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This was our first stay at the Huntington, so I think it's clear from other reviews that lots has changed in the décor particularly. If you have no baggage from previous stays in years past, I think the place is terrific. We had a suite on the 12th floor, so the views were amazing. I loved the interior décor. Very funky with an Asian flare. Bar downstairs is classic with phenomenal older bartender. Food was very solid for breakfast in the restaurant. I didn't have a single problem.

3 Thank Sunrisederm
Dear Sunrisederm,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review! It's exciting for us to read reviews from guests whom are staying with us for the first time. We're very proud of the new, unique aesthetic and décor, and pleases us to hear that you found it your liking!

It sounds like you had a magnificent room; the suites on the 12th floor indeed offer unparalleled views of San Francisco. You also mentioned the food and service in the Big 4 met all your expectations. We like to think of ourselves as a second home to our guests when they are in San Francisco. I hope you will consider as such, and come back to stay with us soon!

Thank you again for your review.

Nyc
Reviewed 17 June 2014

While this great classic hotel needed a refresh, they just got it wrong. Why would you turn a railroad baron hotel into a swanky place.

Clearly run by Harvard MBA types, the liquor selections have been greatly rationed so as to stay with higher volume, higher margin cocktail. Wine selection by glass reduced and inferior. No orange or any flavored vodka. Piano player still there thank god. Menu revamped and classic dishes such as the brick chicken are gone. Just overthought and not receptive to what was embraced in the past. It seems like " I will tell the customer what they should want.

Spa is not redone, and needs to be. Outdoor chairs are literally thoroughly indented from bodies laying in them, and dream picture covered with soot from fireplace. Clean but it is starting to tire.

Rooms are swanky, not traditional.

I just wanted an update of a classic. It's gone forever. Maybe there is a better client base than me, but this 20 year vet will give it one last try and move on.

2 Thank Redsox1918
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Redsox1918,

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I see that you've been our guest for many years, and that you're intimately familiar with our hotel. Your words hold a lot of weight with us.

We will immediately address the issues you noted, and I have shared your review with our staff.
Regarding the vodka selection in the Big 4: We still carry Grey Goose Citron, the other flavored vodkas were taken off the shelf in response to lack of demand. Although we did take the 'chicken under a brick' off the menu, we introduced a delicious roasted chicken dish that I suggest you try upon your return. I had it for lunch yesterday and it was lovely. We also brought back the chicken pot pie.

In regards to the decor, our intent was to maintain the grandeur and classic features, while incorporating the colorful history of San Francisco and other cultures abroad. Despite its 'new outfit', the heart of the Huntington is still with us today. We continue to provide the same top tier service, graciousness, and welcoming atmosphere that our guests have come to expect. Thank you again for your feedback and thoughts, we truly appreciate hearing from our guests. Please do come back and see us again, I believe you will not be disappointed.

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed at the Huntington in May and thought the hotel was excellent. The staff were really helpful and friendly, they helped us sort dinner reservations and how to get about. Our room was large and clean and I liked the décor, I did see some of the other rooms and they would have perhaps been abit to over the top for my taste but the superior room was nice. The bed was fantastic, so comfortable and plenty of wardrobe space. My only criticism would be that I didn't think the bathroom was very well thought out, the space could have been used better- instead of having such a large sink a large shower would have been more to my taste. Also I really really dislike when hotels charge you to use wifi in the room, its 2014 and internet in the room should be included as standard not just in the lobby. The spa was great and I enjoyed the big four restaurant. Location was fantastic, a really nice neighbourhood and easy to get about. I would definitely recommend to friends.

3 Thank StaceyAlbus
Dear StaceyAlbus,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and detailed review. We greatly appreciate your taking the time to mention all of the details you liked or disliked.
I'm glad to hear our staff was friendly and helped you with dinner reservations, and how to get around the city. In regards to the Wifi, I do apologize for the inconvenience. We recently upgraded all of the technology throughout the hotel and now offer the highest wifi speeds available in the city.

As you know we recently underwent a renovation, so we're very pleased to hear that our new decor was to your liking! Thank you again for your fantastic review, we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We were lucky to spend last weekend at the Scarlet Huntington and just wanted to share our opinion of the hotel and its staff. This was a much-anticipated visit to San Francisco to catch up with good friends, and we needed a comfortable and convenient home base. The hotel surpassed our expectations from the minute we arrived. It's in a beautiful spot on California Street, across from Grace Cathedral, and just a few minutes on foot north of Union Square. Upon our arrival, one of their Public Relations staff, William Miller, happened to be in the lobby and offered to show us the hotel and its amenities. He told us about their recent renovation, the history of the old Huntington Hotel, and the Big 4, a classic old bar and restaurant in the hotel that's an institution in San Francisco. We appreciated the time he took to share this information and to make sure we had everything we needed for a pleasant stay. Our room was a beautiful suite on the tenth floor, with a big, plush bed and a large corner living room with windows that overlooked the cathedral. We couldn't have hoped for nicer accommodations. I understand that they recently completed a major renovation, and since we hadn't stayed there previously, I can't speak to the "changes," but we liked the mix of luxurious modern decoration and classic architecture. My favorite part, after the amazing bed, was the bathroom with a separate walk-in shower in front of the tub, like a spa. Speaking of which, we were too busy running around to enjoy the hotel spa, but we saw others on their way there in bathrobes, so I guess we weren't the only ones who enjoyed our stay! All the hotel staff we met were friendly and helpful, and we look forward to staying there again the next time we visit San Francisco.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the square and the cathedral!
3 Thank Thomas B
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Thomas B.,

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to write at length about your recent stay at the Scarlet Huntington. Your feedback is invaluable to us, and the highest form of praise we can hope for. I'm glad you were able to learn about the rich history of the hotel and Big 4 restaurant; which is indeed an institution in and of itself! You mentioned you had a lovely suite overlooking Grace Cathedral and Huntington Park. That is my favorite view as well, and it is unique to the Scarlet Huntington. I see that you also enjoyed our new bathrooms, another favorite feature of mine and our guests.

On behalf of the Scarlet Huntington and its staff, I extend our sincerest form of gratitude for your laudatory review. Please do come and see us again in the not too distant future. Be sure to reach out to us before your stay, and we'll ensure that your accommodated in the same room.

Fairview, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This is our 5th stay at the Huntington and the first after their renewal and re opening. The old girl looks better in places and looks uncomfortable in others. There has been much care put into the details of the renovation of the metal work around the elevators and the interior of the elevators is funky red faux gator skin. I was distressed to see that the plaque that had been in one elevator to honor a long time employee was gone! Bad move. Our room was looking very spiffy in its new outfit. The style and colors were a bit edgy...but it was well done and comfortable. The staff was, as in the past, friendly, helpful and professional. The location is excellent and our only regret is that we had no time for the spa on this visit.

Room Tip: Try for a higher story room looking out the front of building toward park
2 Thank Dan B
Dear Dan B,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. Your feedback, especially considering you've stayed with us 5 times now, is quite valuable to us. I enjoyed reading your review, especially your statement about your room looking "very spiffy in its new outfit"! Thank you for noting the care we put into the detail of the elevator, and the excellent service we continue to provide. Please accept my apology concerning the plaque in the elevator; I understand we moved it to a different location in the hotel.

Thank you again Dan B. for your thoughtful and endearing review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in early June. It was our first time, so I can't comment on the recent renovations and how they compare to the property as it used to be, so I'll keep this strictly to our experience.

As soon as we pulled up, we were warmly greeted by the doorman. The check-in process was fast and no-hassle, and the front desk staff was very friendly. We actually ended up getting a room upgrade, which was great. Our room was large and well-appointed, and right on the corner. We didn't have much of a view, but it didn't matter - we weren't there to spend our days gazing out the window.

Most of our days started early in the morning so we didn't have a chance to explore any other parts of the hotel (e.g. restaurant, spa) - we mostly just needed a place to rest after long days of exploring the city and to that end, this hotel fit the bill perfectly. The bed was comfy, our rooms were refreshed nicely each day, and we also received turn-down service every evening with 2 complimentary bottles of water.

All the staff we came in contact with were incredibly friendly so our customer service experience was top-notch. Check-out was a breeze and we were whisked off to the airport in no time.

Their location is quite central and we didn't mind climbing up the steep hills everyday. The hotel runs alongside the main cable car routes anyway so you can just hop on and off instead of walking. Overall, a very comfortable stay with a good price point for what you get. I would definitely stay here again.

2 Thank kim_h_cindy
Dear Kim_H_Cindy,

Thank you so much for your detailed review! I'm so pleased to hear that your with us was enjoyable and met all your expectations. I see that you found our service to be exceptional, as well as the location, price point, and comfortable rooms. Additionally, you mentioned the check-in/out process was a 'breeze'. You can be sure to expect the same level of service and comfortable accommodations upon your return in the not so distant future.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.