“Great area, funky spacious rooms!”

The Scarlet Huntington
Ranked #11 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Victoria, Canada
“Great area, funky spacious rooms!”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed for 4 nights. A couple travelling with Mom who shared a Queen bedded room. Rooms are large, clean and beautifully funky! Floor 3 and we still had a great view across the city. The hotel is in Nob Hill so expect the HILL! It's there whether you are going up or down! There are 2 cable cars to choose from - Powell or California to get where you need to go. For the most part we walked down and used a cable car to get back up.

Invest in the CityPass which gives you several attraction admissions along with Muni (transit bus) or cable car travel. Great deals on the CityPass.

The bathroom is big and the shower had great water pressure. A nice robe and slippers for lounging in the room is available. SMALL fridge and only coffee so bring your teabags if needed. I can't think of anything negative about the hotel, it was beautiful - there is the usual $15 a day charge for internet but they have a business centre on the 2nd floor to use a computer (never busy) or you can use the wifi in the spacious lobby. The door staff were awesome, super friendly with lots of tips and tricks. We didn't eat in the restaurant Bin4 as we were being thrifty and explored elsewhere. We secured a great hotel rate via Hotwire.

There was a charge placed on our room? However, they removed it very quickly when I explained we had not made any purchase.

I loved it but probably would look at getting a different hotel for a future visit, on the lower level as that is where we spent most of our days...

Room Tip: No issues - we were happy on 3rd floor which still provided a great view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank BCGirlie
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear BCGirlie,

Thank you so much for your detailed review! We really appreciate when our guests take the time to note all of their experiences at the hotel. We're glad to hear you found a great rate, and stayed in a fabulous room. Indeed, all of our rooms offer spectacular views. That is one of the benefits of our location atop Nob Hill :)

I do apologize for there being no tea in the room. We are currently considering adding a tea selection; in the meantime our room service offers a fine selection. Regarding the room charge: upon check-in, we place a $100 hold on your credit card for incidentals. After checking out, the hold is removed.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us. I believe you have offered our future guests some great tips about getting around in the city. Please do consider staying with us again.

Public Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We recently spent a few nights at this hotel during our time in San Francisco.... the hotel had only just completed their renovation and have done a great job. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite which was spacious and had a great living area to spend some time relaxing which was so nice after a few weeks of traveling in hotels. The rooms are clean, the housekeeping was great and the nightly turn down service what a treat! The location of the hotel is great and made our sightseeing really easy.

2 Thank Tan W
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Tan D.,

Thank you for taking the time to review us! I'm so pleased to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable, especially after weeks of traveling and staying in other hotels. I see we upgraded you to a suite, which we often do if availability allows. Our housekeeping department will be pleased to hear that their service met your expectations as well.

Thank you again for your thoughtful and detailed review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the hopefully not-too-distant future!

Cheers,

Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Great views, friendly people and walking distance to many fine places to eat. The rooms are large, clean and quiet. I have been many times but not in recent years and was very glad to be back again for a quick trip.

Room Tip: high floor on the corner
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank JimOB1
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear JimOB1,

Thank you so much for your laudatory review! 'the best hotel in SF is quite an achievement, and we agree with you! As someone who has been coming to stay with us for many years, your words of praise mean a great deal to us.

Thank you again for taking the time. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your return to the city. Please allow me to set up your accommodations in the future.

Fairhope, Alabama
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This was our first stay at the Huntington, so I think it's clear from other reviews that lots has changed in the décor particularly. If you have no baggage from previous stays in years past, I think the place is terrific. We had a suite on the 12th floor, so the views were amazing. I loved the interior décor. Very funky with an Asian flare. Bar downstairs is classic with phenomenal older bartender. Food was very solid for breakfast in the restaurant. I didn't have a single problem.

3 Thank Sunrisederm
Dear Sunrisederm,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review! It's exciting for us to read reviews from guests whom are staying with us for the first time. We're very proud of the new, unique aesthetic and décor, and pleases us to hear that you found it your liking!

It sounds like you had a magnificent room; the suites on the 12th floor indeed offer unparalleled views of San Francisco. You also mentioned the food and service in the Big 4 met all your expectations. We like to think of ourselves as a second home to our guests when they are in San Francisco. I hope you will consider as such, and come back to stay with us soon!

Thank you again for your review.

Nyc
Reviewed 17 June 2014

While this great classic hotel needed a refresh, they just got it wrong. Why would you turn a railroad baron hotel into a swanky place.

Clearly run by Harvard MBA types, the liquor selections have been greatly rationed so as to stay with higher volume, higher margin cocktail. Wine selection by glass reduced and inferior. No orange or any flavored vodka. Piano player still there thank god. Menu revamped and classic dishes such as the brick chicken are gone. Just overthought and not receptive to what was embraced in the past. It seems like " I will tell the customer what they should want.

Spa is not redone, and needs to be. Outdoor chairs are literally thoroughly indented from bodies laying in them, and dream picture covered with soot from fireplace. Clean but it is starting to tire.

Rooms are swanky, not traditional.

I just wanted an update of a classic. It's gone forever. Maybe there is a better client base than me, but this 20 year vet will give it one last try and move on.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Redsox1918
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Redsox1918,

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I see that you've been our guest for many years, and that you're intimately familiar with our hotel. Your words hold a lot of weight with us.

We will immediately address the issues you noted, and I have shared your review with our staff.
Regarding the vodka selection in the Big 4: We still carry Grey Goose Citron, the other flavored vodkas were taken off the shelf in response to lack of demand. Although we did take the 'chicken under a brick' off the menu, we introduced a delicious roasted chicken dish that I suggest you try upon your return. I had it for lunch yesterday and it was lovely. We also brought back the chicken pot pie.

In regards to the decor, our intent was to maintain the grandeur and classic features, while incorporating the colorful history of San Francisco and other cultures abroad. Despite its 'new outfit', the heart of the Huntington is still with us today. We continue to provide the same top tier service, graciousness, and welcoming atmosphere that our guests have come to expect. Thank you again for your feedback and thoughts, we truly appreciate hearing from our guests. Please do come back and see us again, I believe you will not be disappointed.

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed at the Huntington in May and thought the hotel was excellent. The staff were really helpful and friendly, they helped us sort dinner reservations and how to get about. Our room was large and clean and I liked the décor, I did see some of the other rooms and they would have perhaps been abit to over the top for my taste but the superior room was nice. The bed was fantastic, so comfortable and plenty of wardrobe space. My only criticism would be that I didn't think the bathroom was very well thought out, the space could have been used better- instead of having such a large sink a large shower would have been more to my taste. Also I really really dislike when hotels charge you to use wifi in the room, its 2014 and internet in the room should be included as standard not just in the lobby. The spa was great and I enjoyed the big four restaurant. Location was fantastic, a really nice neighbourhood and easy to get about. I would definitely recommend to friends.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank StaceyAlbus
Dear StaceyAlbus,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and detailed review. We greatly appreciate your taking the time to mention all of the details you liked or disliked.
I'm glad to hear our staff was friendly and helped you with dinner reservations, and how to get around the city. In regards to the Wifi, I do apologize for the inconvenience. We recently upgraded all of the technology throughout the hotel and now offer the highest wifi speeds available in the city.

As you know we recently underwent a renovation, so we're very pleased to hear that our new decor was to your liking! Thank you again for your fantastic review, we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We were lucky to spend last weekend at the Scarlet Huntington and just wanted to share our opinion of the hotel and its staff. This was a much-anticipated visit to San Francisco to catch up with good friends, and we needed a comfortable and convenient home base. The hotel surpassed our expectations from the minute we arrived. It's in a beautiful spot on California Street, across from Grace Cathedral, and just a few minutes on foot north of Union Square. Upon our arrival, one of their Public Relations staff, William Miller, happened to be in the lobby and offered to show us the hotel and its amenities. He told us about their recent renovation, the history of the old Huntington Hotel, and the Big 4, a classic old bar and restaurant in the hotel that's an institution in San Francisco. We appreciated the time he took to share this information and to make sure we had everything we needed for a pleasant stay. Our room was a beautiful suite on the tenth floor, with a big, plush bed and a large corner living room with windows that overlooked the cathedral. We couldn't have hoped for nicer accommodations. I understand that they recently completed a major renovation, and since we hadn't stayed there previously, I can't speak to the "changes," but we liked the mix of luxurious modern decoration and classic architecture. My favorite part, after the amazing bed, was the bathroom with a separate walk-in shower in front of the tub, like a spa. Speaking of which, we were too busy running around to enjoy the hotel spa, but we saw others on their way there in bathrobes, so I guess we weren't the only ones who enjoyed our stay! All the hotel staff we met were friendly and helpful, and we look forward to staying there again the next time we visit San Francisco.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the square and the cathedral!
3 Thank Thomas B
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Thomas B.,

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to write at length about your recent stay at the Scarlet Huntington. Your feedback is invaluable to us, and the highest form of praise we can hope for. I'm glad you were able to learn about the rich history of the hotel and Big 4 restaurant; which is indeed an institution in and of itself! You mentioned you had a lovely suite overlooking Grace Cathedral and Huntington Park. That is my favorite view as well, and it is unique to the Scarlet Huntington. I see that you also enjoyed our new bathrooms, another favorite feature of mine and our guests.

On behalf of the Scarlet Huntington and its staff, I extend our sincerest form of gratitude for your laudatory review. Please do come and see us again in the not too distant future. Be sure to reach out to us before your stay, and we'll ensure that your accommodated in the same room.