“Good hotel”

The Scarlet Huntington
Ranked #10 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Good hotel, with reasonably spacious rooms. The bordello look to the rooms make it interesting. Reasonably priced for the area. It is located at the top of Nob hill, which is where all the other high-end hotels area. In fact, the whole area is quite posh... Very old-school and cute actually.

The rooms are reasonably sized and comfortable. In room wifi is $15 a day, but you get free wifi in the lobby. And it is reasonably fast. Staff are very friendly and helpful.

The gym is attached to the spa next door. Small gym with a couple of treadmills, bikes, cross trainer, a bench, and several dumb bells. Not big but it is sufficient for a workout. The main clientele of the hotel do not really use the gym, so it has been quiet during the couple of times I went there. The doorman is a very nice touch... friendly guys too!

My only concern is the location, which is at the top of a steep hill (Nob hill). Unless you are catching taxis or uber to get around, it is quite a hike. But good exercise if you're on holidays.

It can also get noisy if you have a low level room that is facing California street. The cable cars can be quite noisy.

Unfortunately our electronic doorbell system was malfunctioning and kept playing a clock chime melody (like you hear from large clocks) during the night. It kept us awake because it went off about 3 times during the night - very annoying! We rang the front desk when it happened but they couldn't work out why it was doing it. So, after the third time it played the annoying chime, I took it off the wall (it is on top of the door) and took the batteries out. That melody has forever traumatised me. In hindsight, I think it continuously played the melody because the battery is running out.

Otherwise, it is a good hotel and very reasonably priced. I would stay here again, but would ask for a quiet room that does not face California street. Gay-friendly hotel.

Room Tip: For a quiet room, ask for one that does NOT face California street.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Artsoe
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear Artsoe,

First and foremost, thank you so much for taking the time to review us. The experiences relayed by our guests are vital to us maintaining a top-tier hotel. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. We are indeed a gay-friendly hotel and pride ourselves on catering to a diverse crowd.

Regarding the street noise and doorbell issue in your room: On behalf of the hotel and staff here, I offer my most sincere apologies. Such a disturbance is absolutely unacceptable; and I completely understand why you feel traumatized. The staff should have immediately fixed or removed the faulty hardware and offered you a different/upgraded room. You have my word that this will be addressed immediately. I can't thank you enough for bringing this to our attention.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us; we greatly appreciate it.

If you return to San Francisco, please allow myself the opportunity to amend the situation. Feel free to contact me via e-mail, and I would be happy to make your reservations.

There are newer reviews for The Scarlet Huntington

Reviewed 30 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights after a stay in Napa Valley. It's located within walking distance to almost everything. The staff was exceptional. We were immediately upgraded to a suite upon check in without even requesting an upgrade. Our room was very spacious and the view of Grace Cathedral was beautiful. The price was also very reasonable considering the price of other nearby hotels. We would absolutely stay here again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Prairiebossbuzz,

Thank you for your glowing review! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us after your trip in Napa Valley. Our staff work hard to provide our guests with a superlative experience, and they will be happy to hear that you found them exceptional. I'm glad to hear we were able to offer you an upgrade, and that you had the opportunity to experience San Francisco during this fabulous weather we've been having.

Please come back and see us again! We look forward to welcoming you back in the not-too-distant future.

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Service was outstanding-doormen/bellhops were fantastic! The room overlooked the park, was bigger than expected for a city hotel, and very very clean. The bed was comfortable and we didn't hear the traffic noise below. I know there are some comments against the decor, but we liked it-it was different and interesting instead of the stuffy marble overkill seen in other nearby hotels. It also is in a perfect location for catching cable cars and buses. Yes..you are surrounded by hills...but you have to expect it a bit in that area. Best thing was the bar. Decor is perfect for a Nob Hill bar. Pianists were fabulous and Joe the bartender will take care of you during the day! Only complaint we have is that you had to pay for Wifi....seemed a bit ridiculous for the price of the room. However, we would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie B

Dear Stephanie B.,

Thank you so much for your recommendatory review! I'm so glad to hear that your stay 'Fabulous'! I stayed here myself a couple months ago to get a better feel of the rooms, and I felt it was fabulous as well :) \
We pride ourselves on being different from other hotels, and I'm quite pleased to hear that you enjoyed the service as well as the décor. In regards to the Wifi, I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience. We are listening to our guests via Trip Advisor, and are in the process of addressing the Wifi fee.

Thank you again for your detailed review. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your return to San Francisco!

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Rooms were surprisingly spacious for a big city downtown hotel. Staff was incredibly helpful and had an answer for everything... whether it was a good local pizza joint or the best way to get to the Giants game. The spa and infinity pool is fantastic, BUT you have to be over 16 to use it so be aware if you have kids they will be sorely disappointed. However, parents or other adults will absolutely love it. The hotel is very well located right on a less-used trolley care line and it is within walking distance of just about everything... even though you likely will not want to walk back up the hills to get there. They recently renovated all the rooms and I thought everything was top notch. They spared no expense on the furniture, the mattresses, the pillows, dressers, in-room refrigerator, and lounge chair. It still drives me bankers that these expensive places charge an extra fee for the Wi-Fi but I will forgive them since I thought everything else was superb.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor and ask for two beds to get a larger room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mark H

Dear Mark H.,

Thank you ever so much for your laudatory review! It was such a pleasure to read about your experience and to receive such positive feedback. Our recent renovation marked a monumental change for us, and we are elated to hear that most everything was to your liking. In regards to the age limit imposed at the pool, I offer my sincere apologies. We do our best to preserve a serene and meditative experience in the spa area; in doing so, we don't want to impose harsh rules on children who should be free to laugh and splash around.

It sounds like you had a fabulous time here. Thank you again for taking the time to review us, and to point out all of the details that made up your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not-too-distant future!

Reviewed 26 August 2014

We had outstanding service from the concierge, door staff, receptionists and housekeeping staff. The decor of the hotel was beautiful. We were lucky to receive an upgrade and the suite was massive! The hotel has been redecorated recently and everything smelt new, fresh and clean. The in house restaurant was excellent and I would highly recommend it. The toiletries were luxurious and faculties top notch. The hotel is located in an excellent area, a lovely church and park opposite and the tram ride is two blocks away. This is the best hotel I have ever stayed at!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Stephanie8397,

Thank you ever so much for your glowing review! "Stunning and Glorious" is quite an accolade, and we are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us. We believe we offer the best accommodations in San Francisco, and I'm glad you agree. I see that you enjoyed our location and close proximity to Huntington Park and Grace Cathedral. Nob Hill is a lovely place to stroll about, especially in the morning, and in the evening.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. Our staff will be delighted when I share this with them. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not-too-distant future!

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We have just stayed at The Huntingdon. Great location (yes, you need to walk up a steep hill to get here). Trendy lobby, great bar and restaurant at night although it's odd having breakfast in the dark as there is no natural light. We were upgraded to a large suite which was great. Service is decent, not spectacular. The concierge was helpful. You have to pay for wifi (which I think always spoils something). Lovely swimming pool.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Gavin S,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm delighted to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us in San Francisco! I enjoyed reading the highlights, 'trendy lobby, great bar and restaurant at night...". It is incredibly helpful for us to experience our hotel through our guests eyes. In regards to the Wifi fee, I do apologize. I understand it can be quite an inconvenience, and we are considering removing it.

Thank you again for your review. Please come back and see us again upon our return to the States.

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

The rumors were rampant as to what would reappear when the Big Four and the hotel reopened
Candidly, it is an interesting juxtaposition between the two. I had an interesting suite which I thoroughly enjoyed after I got over the initial shock of thinking I was walking into a fancy brothel. The real issue with the suite was that it was very chopped up into 4 rooms. The service was excellent and I then sauntered down for a cocktail. Wow, the bar is the same cozy, friendly, upscale area it had always been. Nice piano music as well as an extremely knowledgeable bartender. Then on to dinner. I couldn't help but ordering the famous chicken pot pie which is now a special one night a week. It was as good as I remember. The dining room is exactly as it was... Dark green booths, room to maneuver and talk without everyone overhearing conversations. All in all, a successful trip

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Jacob10,

Thank you for your thoughtful and candid review. As a long time guest, your feedback is especially important to us. When we began our renovation, we knew that the new fashion forward design may not be congruent with some of our guests preferences. Although it sounds like you were less than pleased with the new lobby, you enjoyed your suite and the Big 4 restaurant. In regards to your distaste for the lobby, I do apologize. It was designed to reflect both the historical and emerging culture in San Francisco. We chose to leave intact some of our more classic features, such as the Big 4 restaurant, and I'm delighted to hear that you found it up to par. As we move forward, we continue to uphold our commitment to 5 star service and luxury. Thank you again for your review; the Big 4 staff will be delighted to read it. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not-too-distant future.