“Don't overlook this place”

The Scarlet Huntington
Ranked #10 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Chicago, Illinois
“Don't overlook this place”
Reviewed 1 May 2010

The Huntington is on Nob Hill, around the corner from the celebrated Fairmont, up the street from the Intercontinental with Top of the Mark, and not far from the Ritz. Given its illustrious neighbors, it might be easy to overlook this hotel. Don't! I'd wager that it's nicer than both the Fairmont and the Intercontinental, and will cost less of your inheritance than the Ritz. Nob Hill itself is not the epicenter of activity that Union Square is, nor is it off in the Marina/Fisherman's Wharf hinterlands. It's central, with two cable cars line running by the hotel, but not dead in the middle of all the noise and chaos either. I like that.

Having stayed in a number of SF hotels, I can say that the rooms here are (comparatively) large. They are all appointed differently (the surly man at the desk informed me), and while I was hoping for a more colorful one, my understated, neutral toned room was quite nice. The bed was very comfy, and the bathroom nicely appointed, including L'Occitaine bath products. The flat screen TV was perfectly adequate, although it seemed oddly small, marooned in the midst of the blank wall where it was mounted. The closet was giant; I wish I had one of that walk-in size in my own apartment!

The best thing about the room, though, was my excellent view of Grace Cathedral, which I could look at while reading in the chairs by my window (which opened! Love hotels where the windows actually open.). Interestingly, when I checked in, the desk person tried to "upsell" me, saying that for $50 more, I could get a better view, and for $100 more, the best view of all from the highest floors. First of all, that's a tacky practice, quite at odds from the image the hotel is trying to project. Second, it's insulting. If I didn't pay enough for the room, charge me more before I book it, not once I arrive. Finally, and ironically, I had a perfectly great view anyway, even at the pauper's low price that I paid. (And it wasn't that low, trust me.) I have no doubt that the city view from the upper floors was considerably more spectacular -- hope it was worth the $100 to those who paid it. As a tip, you can get the same view for the much more modest price of a drink by going up the street to the Intercontinental's Top of the Mark.

The desk staff weren't a strong point here, nor was the Concierge, but the bell staff were quite nice. One night I ate dinner one night at the attached restaurant, the Big 4. The place is all dark wood, live piano and dim lights, redolent of fat rich robber barons in bespoke suits sipping scotch and puffing cigars. This being 2010 in SF, there were nonesuch in evidence, but the place definitely gives off that vibe. If you happen to be in the mood for that, the food is quite good (chicken pot pie!), although the wines-by-the-glass list is fairly limited. Finally, I didn't go to the spa, or the pool and outdoor deck, but it looked lovely.

Overall, this place is not exactly young and hip -- if you want that, go to the W. However, if you want understated refinement and elegance (with nice views even if you don't pay for them) the Huntington is for you. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank supergirl_sf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Sonoma, California
Reviewed 28 April 2010

We live in the Bay Area and try different hotels when in the city. Huntington has a beautiful old lobby and charming Big Four bar, so we thought we would try it. We were told at check in that our room, a King Deluxe, was one of the best in the category, and that it was recently remodeled. So we were surprised to see very stained (or not clean) carpeting in our room. The room was quite spacious for a "city" hotel, with a large closet and two room bathroom. There was a desk with two chairs, and a small upholstered chair. There was much empty space and it seemed visually as if the furniture was still in transition. My guess is that a sofa will eventually end up in the room instead of the small chair so it looks more finished and full.
While we did not book a treatment, we enjoyed the small outdoor deck off the spa on a lovely day.
The desk staff was not particularly attentive or cheerful, seemed efficient but disinterested. They were not rude, just noticeably not engaged in their customers. Another customer was unhappy about their stay at check out, and the staff did not seem interested in her comments, but rather just tried to get rid of her. Having been in sales and customer service for years, there are ways to deal with unhappy people, and showing indifference is not the way, regardless of the validity of the complaint.
All that said, as long as you are not paying a rate for a 5 star hotel, it is a nice enough place. I would say 3 star, but has the potential to be 5 given what they have to work with if they turn up the service quite a few notches and improve the rooms. They should "secret shop" the Taj a few blocks away, for example, to see what great service is.

madrid
Reviewed 19 April 2010

Went on a 24 night honey moon trip across the USA and this was by far the worst hotel I stayed in. The hotel was recommended by a friend who also stayed there for his honey moon and who told me the Rolling Stones stay here when they go to SF! Also the fact that it is included as part of the small luxury hotels of the world collection motivated my choice -(a standard that I am now seriously doubting).

I booked via booking.com taking advantage of a non-refundable prepayment offer which cost USD150 p/n. On the comments I specifically asked for a king bed and stated that I was on my honey moon -needless to say that I was not greeted with the friendlyness that this comment sparked at all the other hotels I stayed. When we arrived at the hotel the room we where given was tiny (15 sq/m or 160 sq/feet), worn carpets, queen bed (not king) and by the looks of the bathroom it was obviously a room for handicapped i.e. hand rails, tiny basin, bath with some sort of seat pulley -so not very romantic! My wife called the concierge to request another room, the concierge stated that it was the best room they had and offered complimentary coffee!! Although I am quite demanding I hate complaining so I just accepted the facts and proceeded to take a shower (had just flown in from Chicago), as it was a handicapped shower I had to duck as shower head was unusually low plus there was no room to move due to pulley seat, by the end of the shower I was so angry I went down to reception looking for blood (by this time I was fully dressed!). The receptionist told me that the room I had been given was in fact an upgrade, I told him I wanted the room as described on my booking confirmation (420sq feet, king bed, etc) that I did not want the upgrade. The receptionist then said there was another room, after experiencing the horrible room they first put us in, the new room was amazing -this angered me off even more as I felt that they had tried to put one over me.

The hotel itself is acceptable, although the receptionists are unhelpful, ill-mannered, and the male concierge is a liar (told my wife there was no other rooms available). The Spa is good (swimming pool), although I think it closes early (6pm) every Wednesday, at least it did when I was there.

Would not recommend to anyone, will never stay again. I read in the hotel booklet that it is a family owned hotel -perhaps the family should get a little more involved in running the details. I have rated value as "terrible" as although I paid USD150 per night it costs about USD300 on their website.

1 Thank skinnydipping
san pedro, california
Reviewed 19 April 2010

I may regret writing this review (if the Huntington Hotel becomes overly popular and hard to get into), but we had a fabulous experience there this past weekend. We like to stay in historic hotels (rather than new modern types), but most of the historic hotels we have stayed in near Union Square or Nob Hill have had really small rooms and not interesting (or nonexistent) views. At the Huntington Hotel our room was larger than a typical junior suite (had a small kitchenette), and had 3 windows that faced California Street. We could see the cable cars go by below, and it was great to watch the "goings on" at the beautiful little park across the street (the older residents doing early morning group exercises, etc.). Another treat was the spa inside the hotel: it is on the second floor and I believe all hotel guests have access to the facilities. There is an indoor poor and jacuzzi with huge windows facing out onto the city. I had one of the best massages of my life there. You can get into the elevator from your room wearing your robe and go directly to the massage center! On top of this, the Huntington Hotel is less expensive than almost all of the other historic "boutique" hotels we have stayed at. Other pluses: the Huntington is cattycorner to Grace Cathedral and there is a Peet's Coffee under the church (yes, it is true!). There is also another great coffee spot at California and Powell (Cafe Cento) that serves mochas made with Ghirardelli chocolate! The Huntington Hotel is also well within walking distance of Acquerello Restaurant where we had a fabulous meal.
In terms of negatives, the room decor is a B (e.g., totally adequate but not as luxurious as some other hotels), there is not free wifi (although there are free computers in the business center) and room service breakfast cost us $90 (so we won't do that again).
But we are definitely going back!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank kboone
Napa, California
Reviewed 14 April 2010

We visit San Francisco about 8 times a year...we normally stay at the Monaco because of the location, food and spa. We were going to a concert at the nearby Masonic center and this was our 1ft real visit to Nob Hill. We reserved massages were wer expensive but great..the pool area had a very noce view and the hot tub had great jets ( but too much foam).

We were met by the doorman who repremanded us for not checking with him prior to parking ourselves in the lot next to the hotel..apparently it's a dollar cheaper to valet with the hotel. We then were very nicely greeted at reception and given an upgrade which was super. The room/suite was huge and had a wonderful view of the park. While the room was large it did have an old smell about it...nostalgic like my Grandma's home. Maybe it's the antique furniture.

Area was beautiful...didn't walk much in the rain...had a nice dinner and piano show in the bar...We would like to come back again and explore more of the neighborhood.

Dallas
Reviewed 11 April 2010

I am often in San Francisco on business and keep coming back to this hotel which just oozes old world charm. The hotel is very close to perfect in my book, and by addressing a few things I believe it would merit a 5 star review. My main reasons for coming back are the size of the rooms and bathrooms, and what I consider a very good value for the money. You can see that this was a former apartment building before becoming a hotel; otherwise you couldn’t get such spacious rooms. However, the rooms could use a bit of a facelift, particularly the carpets. The hotel’s bar is just fantastic; I make a bee-line there every evening. The hotel offers a great breakfast, but the ambiance of the breakfast room is somewhat sad, there are no windows, and it’s too dimly lit; management should consider moving the breakfast area to a room that receives sunlight. It’s a shame that the hotel charges for internet connection in the rooms. One last “gripe”: the doormen/valet personnel sometimes have a bit of an attitude. But these are all minor issues for me. The Huntington’s wonderful character, great location, and those spacious rooms overlooking San Francisco just keep pulling me back.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Sydney
Reviewed 13 March 2010

Once again, we chose this hotel based on a number of factors including its old world charm and of course, reviews by other TA members.
This hotel is a beautiful example of the affluence enjoyed by San Franciscans during the golden era of railway barons and is brilliantly located opposite a park, is serviced by a cable car right outside the door and surrounded by beautiful buildings.
We had a very nice and spacious room with great views overlooking the city. All staff at the hotel were cheerful, extremely helpful and always greeted us with a "welcome back" everytime we went out and it made you feel like you were coming back home and not to a hotel. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of restaurants around except for the highly recommended Nob Hill Cafe and a bit further down from there, another more up market Italian restaurant and a very authentic French restaurant "Rue Saint Jacques". Helpfully, there is also a laundry/dry cleaners right next door and a store that sells liquor next door to the laundry in Taylor Street.
We loved the bar ( a very special hello to Michael Parsons the pianist extraordinnaire) and the wait staff.
We would, without hesitation, recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a hotel offering real charm and warmth.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple