“Very nice stay, AWSOME service”

The Scarlet Huntington
Ranked #10 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 13 January 2011

I visited the Huntington Hotel in San Francisco in September during a surprise trip that my boyfriend prepared for me (in which, by the way, he proposed!!)

We arrived late at night on Sep. 13th and were received by a very nice gentleman who had the biggest smile in town. We got a suite - a veeery large suite - with a living and dining room, bar and the BEST view to the Huntington Park, Grace Cathedral and Nob Hill town.

Hotel is very well located and has an extraordinary view of the Nob Hill town and San Francisco bay. Rooms are very large and comfortable (or at least ours was), however they look a quite old for which, in such a good quality hotel, you would expect some more modern, fancy and well-equipped rooms. In the second day, the mirror closet door suddenly broke when we tried opening it - but after reporting the damage in the front desk, it was repaired.

The spa at the hotel is excellent. My fiance and I had a relaxing massage and spent some time at the pool. Service is very good and facilities are super clean.

During our stay, we wanted to visit the vineyards and wineries along Napa and Sonoma region, so decided to rent a car and went driving up there. It happened that, during our stay, there was an Oracle congress going on in the city which had all rooms and cars occupied among all San Francisco city. It was incredible there was not a single car for rent available in the whole city - even though we tried with American Express Travel Services and all the car-rental companies in town. We were very disappointed for not having the chance to visit these places in our trip, however, the concierge at the hotel helped us and got a Toyota Corolla for us in rent in just an hour. Next day at 10 AM we had the car and the bell boy with the keys at the hotel's door waiting for us!!!.

Our stay at the hotel was very nice. We only had a bad experience with a bell boy who was being rude with guests - not opening the door and arguing with his partner in front of us. Besides that, we had a very nice stay and received an excellent service at the hotel and the restaurant (continental breakfast was included in our suite rate).

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank waffle77

Reviewed 9 January 2011

I stayed here the night before my wedding so that I could have a relaxing spa day at Nob Hill Spa. Nestled in swanky Nob Hill, I have to say that the hotel was everything I imagined and more. When I checked in they promptly gave me warm towels and knew that the service would be great. They upgraded me to the top suite and it was amazing! The views were beautiful and the room was classic and elegant (*think: prewar/ traditional/ San Francisco). The direct access to the spa was convenient and also a perfect way to spend the morning of my wedding. *HIGHLY recommend a massage at the spa* I would say the only downside was that the bathroom could have been more updated. Overall- my experience at Huntington Hotel and Spa was lovely and could not ask for anything better!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank syknyc
Reviewed 7 January 2011

Ever stayed some place where everyone is your grandpa's age? Ever wondered where people that wear those old colorful patterned winter sweaters hang out? Well look no further. They can all be found at Huntington Hotel in Nob Hill.
From the bar to the elevator to the rooms, the Huntington hotel reeks oh i mean exudes old San Francisco. The location is not bad being that it's right across from Grace Cathedral, The Fairmont, and Mark Hopkins. The room view is gorgeous if you can manage an upper floor. My room was bright, spacious, clean, and right across from the elevator (try to avoid this). Since the building is old, the walls are a bit thin. My room had a large gap under the door to the adjoining room and i heard everything. Guests can use the general spa facilities like the steam room, sauna, pool, and hot tub. Try to avoid the hot tub until they decide to clean it as you'll notice a few things floating on the surface typically found in your own bathtub. Eew! If you choose to park at the garage by the hotel, be prepared to by $45 a day. Ouch! Try to have a drink at the bar as the bartender is fabulous and makes great drinks. The hotel has a very small lobby and bar area which is really not that conducive to hanging out. But if you feel like hanging out with grandpa, you might just wanna stay!

Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelingmistress
Reviewed 7 January 2011

Not the best experience, overpriced and had a voodoo doll hanging from sprinkler when I arrived in my room. strange.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Wonderful old fashioned, plush leather, intimate bar with characters serving and a talented pianist.
Good room and great breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 3 January 2011

The Huntington Hotel is a real gem. I found myself planning my next visit as I was walking out the door to my taxi. Located in the beautiful Nobb Hill district the hotel is a short walk from Union Square, Chinatown, and within easy reach of all SF's greatest sights. The spa was absolutely wonderful and the rooms were romantic and beautifully adorned. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ECB2010
Reviewed 27 December 2010

I am a Bay Area local. I recently stayed at the Huntington Hotel for a romantic couple of days with my squeeze. I had been to the Nob Hill Spa (which is top notch) many times before, but had never stayed at the hotel. The setting is warm and welcoming. The location is perfect for a stroll, shopping, and views of the city. The Big Four Restaurant has an old world charm (dark wood, cozy) with good (not great) food. The staff was friendly, though a bit less polished than you'd expect from a luxury hotel. We stayed in one of the lesser expensive rooms. The price was right, so I didn't feel particularly robbed when the refrigerator and one of the phones did not work. One thing to note for those watching costs, parking your car in the garage is $39/night. Being a local, I'm not sure if most of these hotels charge like amounts. The valet service, though, was swift and easy. They seem to put most of their resources in the spa. If you stay here bring your swimsuit. You'll want to relax by the pool to get the full benefit of this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple