“Best stay on the Square!”

Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
Ranked #19 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I have stayed all over Union Square, and this is a gem! Very quaint and friendly hotel. Rooms with high ceilings, nice bath and great beds. everyone cant stay in a room with a view, but if you can, its a must. The rooms here are much better than the very popular hotel down the street and better than the one across the street. Those hotels have bigger bars and restaurants, but there is something about staying at the Chancellor. You can always walk down the street to the other bar or restaurant. You even get a drink token per day with your stay here. Very nice ;)
Only drawback is the spa and pool is at a remote place, used as a complimetary feature with health Club around the corner.

Room Tip: Get a Union Square view
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James D
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Thank you. When someone likes us, we really appreciate it. But, when someone has such high praise after staying at many of the other hotels around us, that really gives it some weight.
Thanks again!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,399)

Reviewed 13 February 2012

Stayed at this Hotel on a tour of the west coast of USA. really nice central hotel. A 2 minute walk from the Tram turn. Stones throw from union square, Maceys and Bloomingdales. The breakfast at this hotel was great, lots of choice, plenty of food. I would strongly recommend the steak & eggs, they were lovely. The room was very nice not huge, just right. The bathroom was very clean and the bed was comfy. We felt the price was very very good. two very satisfied customers.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Location is great if you want to stay downtown. It's across from the Sir Francis Drake Hotel (known for the Starlight Room). Safe area as it is a busy one, convenient to downtown and taxis, nice staff, reasonably priced (though I got a special deal through hotwire). It's rather outdated but still pretty cute, plus hopefully in SF you're spending more time outside than inside the hotel. Small bar with decent drinks (price and quality wise). Rooms and bathrooms are a bit small so if you have a large suitcase, think twice. 2 small rollers and 2 backpacks in a queen/king bed room were fine.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I searched quite extensively to find a reasonably priced hotel in San Francisco. Finally decided on Chancellor. I was skeptical because the price was so reasonable, given its location. And I'm quite a picky person so I was prepared to be disappointed.

The desk staff was wonderful! There was cucumber water, coffee, apples and cookies in the lobby at all times for guests. We paid the extra $6 a day for valet parking since the parking was already some of the cheapest in town.

We went up the elevator to the 14th floor (I had requested a high room at the back as I am very sensitive to noise). We went into the room and was amazed to find that this was a suite! Bedroom, Living Room, and two FULL bathrooms!! The room was immaculately clean and tastefully decorated. The bathrooms had shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and rubber duckies!!

The bed was comfortable, there was a small walk in closet, there were extra pillows and blankets in the closet.

Small refrigerator, coffee maker in a little kitchen area. Desk in the living room. And a chair and table in the bedroom. Lots of drawers for putting stuff away.

And a TV in each room. This meant my husband could watch TV in the living room whilst I read in the bedroom.

And the location was right across the street from the St Francis and Sax Fifth. There was a Starbucks at the corner so we could grab breakfast. Union Square at the corner. Cable car runs right out front!

I could still hear the cable cars but not very much. Earplugs were able to bring complete silence.

This will be my home away from home in San Francisco from now on!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and a back room if you are noise sensitive. Bring earplugs just in case!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank celticolleen
Reviewed 9 February 2012

This hotel is in a great location; the room is adequately sized; the facilities have been updated and the rooms have a fresh coat of paint; the people are very friendly and helpful. The only issue I have with this hotel is its thin wall. If you have a noisy neighbor, you can hear every conversation. Several people congregated at a room next to me in later evenings. One night pass the mid night I had to call the front desk to complain. High floors have less street noise; but the shower water tends to be small at high floors.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank sun20
Reviewed 7 February 2012

A great small hotel right in the centre of union square, close to all the great shops ,trams running past outside.I have never been to a hotel before which has a pillow menu or umbrellas in the rooms.the staff were exceptional here as we had to organise faxs and so helpful,wonderful free cookies and coffee in the mornings,great value for money,will have to come back

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank f00dmama
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I had the unique experience of staying at the Chancellor Hotel in San Francisco, California. All I can say is WOW! I was sent to San Francisco for training. I am not a traveler. I rarely leave home without my husband. SO it was quite a surprise to me when my Boss said I would be going away (by myself) for two weeks, possibly 16 weeks I know nothing about big City living and I was scared. I went to The Chancellor's website to see what was available. There was a link to contact the manager so I did. I mentioned that I would be in the City alone and that I was afraid. When I checked in I got a big surprise as I was upgraded to a SUITE on the 15th floor! The Room was beautifully charming. It is not a brand new hotel but a cozy and historic building from around 1914. The bed was comfortable. The pillows were wonderful. They even have a pillow menu where you can order up what ever type of pillow you are used to sleeping with!! Rooms are very clean and updated with new and trendy furniture. The bathroom has a very deep bath tub which was perfect for taking hot baths after a long days work. Shampoo, conditioner, lotion, cotton balls and even Q-tips are provided. For my second week at the hotel (I went home on the weekend) I did not have the SUITE.. However, I was given a room on the 15th floor that was equally as cozy and comfortable. Since I was staying for 5 days and wanted to have cold waters, I called down to the front desk and asked if they had a refrigerator that they could bring to me. They brought it up right away! Both rooms that I stayed in had a beautiful view of Union Square. I felt safe to walk around this area. This Hotel is in the Heart of things. You can easily catch a taxi or any other public transportation by just stepping outside of the building. The Staff was extremely friendly. The facility was very clean. The elevators were fast. The bar is small but I had a great time talking to other hotel guests and the Awesome Bartender named Alicia. She made me feel comfortable and even gave recommendations on things to do in San Fran as well as places to eat if I had craving for certain foods. They even have a plug underneath the bar to plug in your phone :) I thought that was cool!! Oh, there was a walk-in closet in both of my rooms. In the closet there was a safe where I kept personal items. Lastly I want to say that this hotel is VERY AFFORDABLE! I will be returning to San Francisco and when I do... I will be staying here at The Chancellor! If you want to experience the charm of San Francisco, you will stay here....

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank VivianMc
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

Wow! How could two reviews be so different?
I think it shows the difference between someone that wants to have an enjoyable stay with us and someone that leaves things to chance when they are easily disappointed and does not want to take an active role in the success of their own visit.

We try to think of and do everything we should all the time, but we are not perfect. If we can ever to anything for anyone that we are not doing, please ask and we will do our best. We'll all be happier that way.

Thank you VivianMc! It was our pleasure to serve you!