“Great location”

Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
Ranked #17 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 December 2013

The rooms were a bit small and not much to view, but who cares. You are in San Francisco and you are not going to bask on a balcony. Travelling with my husband and 2 young adult sons we were able to get two room next to each other at a great price and the location could not be beat. The staff was pleasant and service good.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jbk999
Write a ReviewReviews (5,360)

Reviewed 26 December 2013

We had a lovely time at the Chancellor Hotel. All the staff were welcoming and responsive to our needs! Harris, the doorman was right there to take our bags and the front desk staff helped us with restaurants. It's a family-run hotel and this is reflected in their pride of ownership. We ate breakfast at their restaurant and it was delicious. You couldn't ask for a better location at Union Square and we got a wonderful price for our room and parking. We hope to come back to the Chancellor really soon!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank desmalley
Reviewed 23 December 2013

When I was looking for a hotel in San Francisco, I read some reviews about this hotel and I wasn´t sure. But once I have stayed there I can say it worth every dollar and more.
Perfect located at Unión Square and excelent service from all the staff. At the momento you get there you can notice that they give the extra mile while they offer you fresh wáter and cookies while you check in.
Excelent hotel, but small but totally comfortable romos.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ricardo240175
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

"Amazing quality-price relationship" is the ultimate compliment. Every hotel's goal, regardless if it is a one star or five stars, is to be a great value.

Thank you for recognizing us!

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Great staff, great location and always a good time. I really appreciate the patience and helpfulness of the staff to get me the room that met my requirements. I look forward to returning to the Chancellor very soon!

Room Tip: The reason I said average on the room was the size but for what you pay it is a great deal and if yo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Steve M
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2015

If you work with us, we will bend over backwards to do whatever we can to provide the best stay possible. Thanks.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

There was an issue when I booked this hotel, however, the immediate and professional action of the manager Wes made my worry dissappear. I tried not to expect too much due to the low price of the accommodation, however, I was incredibly impressed from the time we checked-in up to checked-out.
The location is great, the rooms were clean, the staff were friendly, and having ice cold water, coffee, tea and cookies at the lobby was a unique plus. Also, I have a 16 yr old daughter but having a rubber ducky in the bathroom just made her to happy, she described it as "soooo cute". Having ear buds available in the bathroom is a big plus. Candies/lollies in a jar was a surprise. "Litte things mean a lot"... I highly recommend this hotel to my family and friends, and I hope to be back again.

Room Tip: Suite is good, it has 2 bathrooms, walk in wardrobe, sala, 2 tv etc.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Carol M
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

I thank these folks very much for the kind words. While I cannot guarantee that every booking, stay and/or interaction will be perfect, I do guarantee that if the issue is brought to our attention, and when given the chance, we can usually make someone happy in the end. We strive for (historic 3 star) perfection, but if we ever miss the mark, please let us know and we will do whatever we can.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

A belated review having stayed at the Chancellor October 2012. We selected this venue on the strength of the many favourable reviews on Tripadvisor. All were justified. We arrived at the hotel around 10-30pm on the day of our 50th wedding anniversary and after travelling all day from Honolulu via Las Vegas. First impression (when very tired) was not 100% as the room was quite small and the bathroom particularly was cramped. After a good nights sleep our impression changed as although the room was quite small it was clean, comfortable and suitably furnished. The age of the building severely restricts much updating but that would probably spoil the ambience any way. All other aspects of the Chancellor were excellent from the front desk at both check in and out and the friendliness and helpfulness of all staff.
Would I stay there again? Absolutely yes!

Room Tip: As the hotel is on a cable car route and a busy road an upper level room or away from the front of t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nathansupporter

When you say nice things...better late than never!

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Great value for location and comfort. Wonderful staff as well that makes you wonder about service elsewhere as the Chancellor staff makes it feel so effortless and natural. Though the building is old, the room is large enough and bathroom is spotless. Free wifi, nice soaps and cookies in the lobby.

Room Tip: High floor quiet rooms in back are best.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple