“Nice hotel just off Union Square”

Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
Ranked #14 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Franklin, Massachusetts
“Nice hotel just off Union Square”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This is a historic avenue just off Union Square. It's not amazing, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm traveling on business, and I'm looking for location, WiFi in room, and a comfortable bed. I don't need to pay for a huge gorgeous lobby --- San Francisco is right out the door! Very nice front desk staff. I have been here twice and I will continue to stay here whenever I make my way back to SF. Another traveler in my group stayed in a different room (at the front of the hotel in a lower floor) and said that street noise (especially the cable car) was a bit loud. I stayed in the back both times and didn't have any exterior (or interior) noise at all.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter but you don't get a view. Choose appropriately.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Scott M
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Well said.

I think a very important point is made that is worth pointing out about noise. When it comes to City noise, it doesn't matter if you are at the Chancellor Hotel or somewhere else (that may or may not be higher rated), if your room is close to the street, you will hear sounds. Noise on the front, street side rooms is not a Chancellor problem, it is a room location in whatever hotel you're staying in problem. Some people are fine with the sounds of San Francisco - they even want it. However, if one wants quiet, ask for the backside or quiet side of the hotel and you can enjoy the Chancellor like this person.

Thanks!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I spent many nights as a child at this hotel & no so many as an adult. This trip was a treat in December, reminding me of the loveliness of union square all dressed up for Christmas. The rooms have been well maintained and the long tub is ready for a good post shopping soak. The walk-in closet is delish, and while the bathroom is small, I'd rather have the tub & closet!

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Tabor G
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014

This was booked for us by our travel agent in England, as he said it was in an idea location. How right he was. The room wasn't the biggest, but your'e in San Francisco, why would you want to spend any more time than is necessary in your room? The location is ideal for the shops, and it is very easy to get to Fisherman's Wharf. Our room was very quiet, unless we were so tired after walking around SF all day that we didn't notice anything. The free cookies are a very welcome bonus. Make good use of them, they are delicious. If ever we get back to SF we will definitely stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VNA1809
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I was planning a surprise birthday trip for my husband and bring my daughter,son-in-law and 2 month old grandson. It was so much pressure to pick a hotel and to make sure my husband would like it. I was hestitant not to pick a major hotel chain but kept reading the reviews of the Chancellor. I called many times for information and I was impressed by the customer service I received. SO -- I took a chance since the location and price was so attractive.
The location was perfect for us. It was in the center so everyone could do their own thing. I would get up early and take a run ( great hills). Some would get to breakfast first and then we would meet up. If one wanted to stay in room , others could go have a drink and meet up.
Front Desk recommended restaurants that were not in guide books and they were delicious.
Many say the rooms are small which is true but they are well maintained and the bathroom was beautiful. It was noisy at night but we had rooms in the front. Might recommend staying in the quiet side.
OH -- the cookies and water --- we could never resist ( 2 or 3) ......
Would highly recommend ....... Also, Union Square better than the Wharf and Marina area if you are active and want to get our of hotel while others are lagging behind !!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank margiekhat
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We had a great stay at this hotel. You can't get a better location, close to chopping, public transit and restaurants! The hotel is old but well-maintained and really charming. Our room was small but comfortable. The staff were helpful and kind. We would certainly stay there again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the outside of the hotel, with a proper window.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Julia K
Carson City, Nevada
Reviewed 28 January 2014

The hotel was wonderful..We were four gals from northern Nevada going to the city to enjoy some Christmas music...In the past I always stayed at the Huntington Hotel up on Knob Hill..But was very surprized and happy with the Chancellor Hotel...The rooms were chic but cozy...staff outstanding...coming back to stay for sure.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank carrington1958
DeWitt, Iowa
Reviewed 26 January 2014

The Chancellor is in an amazing location in Union Square. The hotel is steps away from the cable cars and has tons of options for dining/drinks. The hotel itself is charming and has several personal touches that make it really quaint. I appreciated the water, apples, cookies, and coffee provided at all times in the main lobby. The staff was always helpful and accommodating. This hotel is truly a gem in the heart of San Fran.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends