Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
US$195
US$155
MysticHotel.com
  • Restaurant
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
US$432
US$215
  • Room Service
Comfort Inn by the Bay(San Francisco)
US$220
  • Breakfast included
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$265
US$214
  • Restaurant
Hotel Zoe Fisherman's Wharf(San Francisco)
US$421
US$209
  • Restaurant
San Francisco Marriott Marquis(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$322
US$454
Hotelpower.com
  • Pool
5,434 results
All reviewspillow menutour deskcable carrubber duckunion squarefree cookiesgreat locationceiling fanbath saltsrooms are smallwalk in closetpowell stno air conditioningour honeymoonmuni passcharming hotelan older hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We received a good rate for this room during our stay. The room was adequate but small. The bathroom was dated but functional. There were not many amenities. No free breakfast, but they did offer cookies and beverages in the afternoon. The hotel is in a very good location. Parking is expensive, but on par with other hotels in the area. The staff was very accommodating.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GburgfoodieQ
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

The key is having the right expectations. They received a good rate - that's good! But, as a Historic hotel, and as many reviews reference, the room size is small and bathrooms are plain - that should be known well in advance. No free breakfast should have been known at the time of booking, so that should not have been a mark down. Not sure what amenities are missing. All the rooms have safes, free wifi, a little candy jar, umbrellas, iron & board, refrigerators, a pillow menu and in the lobby we have free coffee & tea with flavors and cookies 24/7. Our guests can use the ClubOne Gym for free which includes a lap pool. We have a bar, restaurant and room service and we give coupons for a free beverage and discount at check in. If there is something we should be doing as a 3 star hotel with good rates that we are not, let me know. Yes, parking is expensive, but as noted, on par with other hotels like us. If you stay at a 4 star hotel, expect to pay $20 more for the parking. I am glad they recognized that the staff is accommodating and we will do whatever we can to help someone have the best stay they can at a historic, 3 star hotel.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Decided to spend an extra $25. for the night and what a difference it made. The service at the desk was always friendly & helpful, and the room was such a welcomed surprise; traditional/colorful professional design. Typical sized hotel space, but nice features and bathroom
older space, but maintained nicely. Couldn't ask more for the location. I'd stay there again and recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LOVENYC92
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Thank you! It is very nice to read that they found us a great value when they paid a little more than some of our "competition" may have been charging for the same night. The reality is that it all comes down to supply and demand. We are usually on the lower priced side of our neighbors, but if we have less supply over some dates than they do, our rates may reflect that.

However, as was the case here...if your expectation is for a historic, original San Francisco boutique hotel, that is at the 3 star level, you should be very happy --- then the location puts the hotel over the top.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I did some research on the hotels our company's travel agent offered, and narrowed down the choices to two. My final decision was to stay here while at a conference, and what a great decision it was! The location beats everything, I loved the lobby, the bed was extra comfy, to my European/big city experiences I did not find the room small at all. Because it is a small hotel, it feels very friendly and welcoming. Based on reviews I asked and got a higher up floor, the 13th in fact, facing Union Square and the noise was totally bearable, the only thing I noticed was the trumpeter around 9 p.m. - it did not bothered me. I just loved to be in the center of a buzzing city, in a classy affordable hotel! :-)
I did not interact much with the staff, the little I did was always pleasant, I have been to the city before and have a friend in town, so did not need to ask for assistance.
Oh, and I loved the bathroom with the tub, the Terra Pure products are great - can I get them somewhere for home? :-) The ironing board and the iron were blessings for my business clothing, used then nearly every morning. Most importantly as a women traveling alone, I always felt safe, at the hotel and in the area, no matter what time of the day!
The only tiny negative is what I guess comes from the age of the hotel, the walls are pretty thin.

Room Tip: If you do not mind a little noise, ask for a higher floor facing Union Square!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank vko_bud
Reviewed 17 February 2014

It's quaint and a smaller property with lots of very nice touches like coffee and cookies always in the lobby. The room was large by San Francisco standards, clean and had very comfortable beds. The bathroom was older but again very clean. Excellent choice particularly if you want to do high end shopping in the Union Square area. If like us that's not your style, it's still a good central location. Many of the on-off buses start a block away at the Square and of course the cable car is right outside the front door. The entry to China town is four blocks away.

Room Tip: We talked to guest who were on the street side. No real complaints but they did say it was noisey. We had enough noise with a back facing room that I think a street side room is only for the really adventurous visitor or very sound sleeper.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Iowa539
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My son and I stayed at the Chancellor over a rainy weekend in February. The location is perfect - Union Square right on Powell St., just a few blocks up the hill from Market - and the price was very reasonable for the location. The room and bathroom were spotless and comfortable enough. The view from our 4th floor room was the exhaust fans on the roof of the building next door, but we never heard any noise. Although the "pillow menu" was inviting, the standard pillows were more comfortable than most. The bed was comfortable, too (and I'm picky). I thought the apples in the lobby were fake, they were so perfect! The ice water with citrus was most appreciated. We were able to store our luggage both before the room was ready on Fri. and after checking out on Sun. We had one breakfast in the on-site restaurant, which serves breakfast and lunch - it was fine and convenient, but Cafe Bellini a few yards down the street was tastier and cheaper.
I have just two minor complaints: 1) The scoop for the ice maker was sitting in the ice, and so were the germs from the hands of everyone who used it. (Better to have a separate spot for the scoop or, better yet, an ice machine that expels the ice when a lever or button is pushed.) 2) the man at the desk that had a "Tours" sign, seemingly the concierge, was slightly less than helpful in providing a clear description and location of the trolley we needed to take to Fisherman's Wharf. (He did tell us the number of the trolley, but we had to ask outside the hotel for the location and which thing was the trolley!). Overall a pleasant stay, and I would not hesitate to recommend it or stay there again.

Room Tip: If it matters to you, you should ask for a room with a view of Powell St.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family