“Excellent stay!!”

Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
Ranked #18 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Much more than you would expect. Such a great location, room was clean and had enough space! Love the coffee and lemon water in the lobby, its actually way easier than making your own pot from your room. Even had a gift for my bfs birthday! Staff were all nice. Definitely going to stay there again!

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank tergy
Write a ReviewReviews (5,381)

Reviewed 7 March 2014

After a gueling week on an audio production in Oregon, I needed a couple of days R&R by the bay before returning home to LA; again, the Chancellor provided a perfect base. The hotel is starting to feel like a home away from home, to the point that the restaurant maitre d' greeted me warmly at breakfast and even pinpointed the date of my last stay there . The rooms are always clean and comfortable and the reception and hotel staff efficient and friendly. I had a ticket for a theatre production in SF, arriving with a traumatized taxi driver only minutes before the starting time. I dumped my bags at reception, flashed ID, stated the urgency of my situation and the staff took care of everything with great efficiency while I ran to the theatre. Anyplace else, I'd have waded through a lot of red tape before making a getaway. Can't recommend this hotel highly enough.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking Union Square are my favorites - double glazed windows keep the Powell street n...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Creyton
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Don't expect medium room, these rooms are small, you can barley move about. I was noisy, so bring ear plugs which I highly recommend. In was clear. I didn't eat at the restaurant, so I cannot comment on the food nor the service of the restaurant. Given the fact that I am from Florida and the hotels here are huge, this is a shock to me. We where on the12th floor, and we could still hear the music from the street players a block away.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

I would hope that no one would expect a medium sized room at the Chancellor. We try to make it very clear on our own website and it is mentioned all the time on TripAdvisor that the rooms are small. There should be no misunderstanding about that. San Francisco is a unique place and when one chooses the historic Chancellor Hotel, it is because they want a totally unique experience that is "original" San Francisco. Why travel to different kinds places if one wants things to be the same as home?

The Chancellor Hotel is a historic hotel with small rooms, no air conditioning and you will hear city noise. It is that way today and will be that way in the future. Many, many people love us just how we are. As long as people do their research and select the right hotel for themselves, everyone wins. However, when people chase a lower rate and/or don't do their research, you can end up shocked because it is not what you are used to or wanted.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

My favorite part about this hotel was the location - and the free cookies, apples and coffee are a close second! The staff were friendly, our rooms were clean and it is close to the BART and cable car. We stayed for four nights in March 2014 and had a wonderful time.
I did not think it was too noisy, but then again I was on the 11th floor so that gave me some space above the traffic noise. Just ask to be on a high floor when you book if you are concerned about noise.
I found it easy to walk to Chinatown for dinner, we also walked to Little Italy but that was a bit farther and we took the bus on the way back. The bottom line: you will not need to rent a car if you stay at the Chancellor, you can get wherever you need to go using one of the many SF transportation options, or your feet!

Room Tip: Purchase a clipper pass at the front desk if you plan to use the bus and cable car during your visit...
2  Thank Allison S
Reviewed 6 March 2014

All of the reviews are pretty much right on target. My husband and I love this historic hotel and would come back again if and when we return to San Francisco for pleasure. We are platinum Marriott so I studied the reviews thoroughly before making the decision to book with this hotel. I don't regret my decision! It was "nice" to not stay in a "chain" hotel for a change of pace.

We also didn't feel like we were "nickeled and dimed" to death at this hotel. The hotel does an excellent job of showing its appreciation.

We ate breakfast at the hotel one morning and it was very good. We also ate next door at the Sears Fine Foods restaurant on more than several occasions. Loved it!

I do agree that the internet service is SLOW most of the time. Hopefully the hotel will get this nuisance resolved.

1  Thank WorldTraveler40000
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This was my second visit and my wife's first visit to San Francisco. We did a TON of looking around online and through many travel sites for hotels. We didn't really know the area of Union Square all that well, but I remembered it being a bit touch and go from street to street. When we finally discovered Chancellor, we read all of the reviews and decided to go for it.

I had mentioned that we were on our honeymoon and selected to upgrade to the "Romance Suite" for a minimal fee. When we arrived, the front desk staff had told us our room wasn't ready yet, because we got there early around 1pm. So we decided to take a walk around the neighborhood, grabbed some lunch and coffee and returned to our room ready.

The room was clean, quiet, and we were surprise with local chocolates and a bottle of champagne for our celebration. What a nice touch.

What you really want to know. The hotel was perfectly situated for exploring in every direction. It was safe. It was clean. It was affordable. I didn't regret anything about it. The staff was extremely helpful - they even have a tour desk that can help you rent a car, which we did!

Highly recommend. Enjoy!

Room Tip: If you're from any major city, the noise won't bother you one bit.
2  Thank TJ D
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The best thing about the Chancellor is its friendly staff. I was always greeted with a smile and received immediate attention. The room is small, but comfortable. And the bathtub is fairly large. Overall, a very comfortable stay for an affordable price in the city. The location is also very convenient--you can catch a cable car right outside the hotel, and much of the shopping is located right down the street. Chinatown is not too far either. But if you're looking to spend time near the marina, the more touristy Fisherman's Wharf area is more for you.

Room Tip: Book through Expedia or check TripAdvisor for other deals.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo