“great location”

GreenLeadersGold level
state college, pa
“great location”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

this is a nice, small hotel. it's refreshingly different from the huge mega-hotels that are more common in the area. rooms are very small, but very clean. very nice small bar area. generally quiet. location is great. i would probably stay here again. the only reason i say probably is because there are a lot of hotels to check out in san fran. last time i stayed at the historical fairmont and i wouldn't stay there again.

fridge in room was a great feature not common to most hotels in the area. that actually might be enough to get me back again now that i think of it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Generally, people find that as a boutique hotel in San Francisco, we are a pretty good. When one compares us to, or has first hand experience at, the other 3 star boutique hotels around us, we are an excellent hotel.

I think this person should try another hotel on their next visit. Many of our most loyal and regular guest have tried another hotel at one time and that is why they are so loyal to us. People that have sampled our competition seem to appreciate the Chancellor more.

Thanks!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,093)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Cancellor Hotel for four nights...Great location....loved the hotel....
All the staff were friendly and very helpful...If we ever return to San Francisco we would definitely stay there again....Thanks to Mike ..who booked our trips and transfers....
John and Anne....England.

Room Tip: We chose a high room rear of hotel which we found very quiet
2 Thank gillianmay62
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the chancellor as part of our honeymoon. The room was nice although the lighting wasn't the best. We were high up at the top of the hotel. The noise was very loud from the trams and musicians outside. As soon as you left the hotel you were approached by homeless people. The location was great for the tram and Bart. Overall nice hotel but if returning I would stay in a different area of San Fran.

• Stayed March 2014
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
I think it is a little unfair (actually a lot unfair) that we were "dinged" because they were approached by homeless people in Union Square. I am very curious what area they will stay in that they think they will not be approached by homeless people in San Francisco. Unfortunately, it is very likely to happen in any of the premier areas where visitors stay.

I am not sure how they ended up at the historic 3 star Chancellor in San Francisco, but stayed at the Wynn in Las Vegas - you can't get much further apart on the spectrum than the Chancellor Hotel and the Wynn. However, I bet the Wynn didn't accommodate the room location request and provide a complimentary honeymoon amenity like we did. Most people do not find it too noisy on the top floors, but noise seems to be an issue since they found the top rated Kokari too noisy as well.

While I will put the Chancellor service against any hotel in San Francisco and most hotels in the world, I hope people will keep in mind what the Chancellor Hotel is when they are picking hotels in which to stay. If you are staying at luxury hotels in the other cities you are visiting, we are NOT that. Please choose a like hotel in San Francisco such as the Hyatt, St. Francis or Marriott because it is not fair to you or us.
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My husband & I stayed here for two nights on our last lag of our PCH trip. We were a little early for check in, but they got us into a room early. The location is great, within walking distance to everything. The room was clean and the staff were really nice. One Suggestion: Request a room on a higher level. Being on the 3rd floor without AC, meant we had to sleep with the window open. We might as well sleep on a mattress in the street. It was SO loud, we couldn't sleep. They noise didn't stop until 3:30AM.

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher level.
2 Thank Crtny2983
Vancouver
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I have been to SF previously, however I had always stayed with friends, never stayed at a hotel until my most recent visit. I stayed at the Chancellor Hotel from Feb 28 to March 4. I found the location of the hotel to be very central - it's by the Union Sqaure, in front of the cable car, and blocks away from the BART Stn, also close to the Westfield Mall plus all of the well-known brand names like Tiffany, Macy's etc.. There's Walgreen and Starbucks around the corner. I felt safe in the area in general, though I did have various homeless people approaching me for money.

I requested a room on a higher level after I read the review about the live band. I got a room on the 9th floor, honestly I could still hear the music, I didn't mind it too much, however I could imagine someone staying at a lower floor may not always appreciate that.

In the room, it's pretty well-stocked - I made a note of the things that were conveniently placed in the room - you have in the closet: safe, umbrella, heater, extra bath tissues, extra toilet papers, blanket, comforter, luggage stands, hangers, iron & iron board. The bottle opener was mounted near the bathroom door; the blow dryer was in a sack hung behind the bathroom door; tissue paper box was also mounted on the bathroom wall. There was a desk and several lamps - it's got USB plugs for your iPhone etc.. LCD TV, 3 chairs, fridge, ceiling fan (no air conditioning at this hotel). Pretty much all you need is readily available. The only complaint I had would be the water pressure for the shower was a bit lacking, but it's useable.

I also enjoyed the free cookies, water, tea/coffee at the lobby, and I really liked the mobile app on my iPhone - I was curious to see if it actually worked and if anyone actually manages that, so I sent a request for more toilet papers, and within minutes I got them - very impressed!

I also had brunch at the Luques downstairs - the front desk gave me a discount voucher for the restaurant and I tried it. I would have to say the service was attentive and the food was delicious, so I would recommend it to anyone.

Overall I enjoyed my stay there very much and I look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: Request a room on the higher floor if you don't like noise
Green Features: This hotel is very environmentally-friendly, and I appreciate that.
1 Thank iamjava
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank you! I honestly believe that is someone does their research and selects the Chancellor Hotel because they want a historical, 3 star, boutique hotel experience in a great location, they will be happy. AND...if they did their research, they will know that if they are not happy for any reason, let us know and we will make things right.
British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We were looking for a reasonably priced (for SF) hotel on US. After doing research, mostly on TA, we decided on the Chancellor. We were so happy with our choice. Yes, the room is small..(very clean!) but we were there for 5 nites and found it to be just fine (bathroom could be a bit bigger) The staff was wonderful, the location can't be beat, and the whole ambiance was charming. We had requested a quiet room away from the street. We got it and slept with windows open and the ceiling fan on. I thought we would be able to hear noise from the other rooms...not a bit. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you like quiet, ask for room away from Powell St.
1 Thank lululemon
Delta, Canada
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Our first time in SF and the Chancellor was recommend to us from a friend and I'm so glad we listend. When we arrived to the hotel we chose the BART system which cost about $7.05 a person from the Oakland airport you get off on Powell street and walk up four block to the hotel. We had arrived early to the hotel and didn't think we would be able to check in but we were greeted by friendly staff who informed us our room was ready and that we could go up and get settled. The room was very clean and comfortable once we were settled we went back down to the lobby and talked with the tour information inside the hotel, who was also very helpful and friendly. The cable car stop right front of the hotel or a few steps down to go the other way. Lots of shopping in the area, Cheesecake Factory in Macy's and another restaurant next door if you don't want to eat in the hotel. At night we could hear a trumpet player or bag pipes being played but we didn't mind. We would stay at the Chancellor Hotel again it is in a great location, clean hotel and great staff!!