We stayed 7 nights at the Chancellor in May 2014.
Good: - fantastic location, pretty much everything is walking distance from the hotel.
- the rooms are quite clean and cosy, good size for two people
- nice free treats for guests in the lobby (apples, tea, coffee etc)
- sweet (literally) little present waiting for guests in the room
Bad: - wifi is unusable. It would either not connect or if it does connect the speed is painfully slow. I measured it one evening using speedtest.net and I got 0.13 Mbps for download which is not much faster than a dial up connection (if you remember those back from the 90s). The wifi is a bit better downstairs.
- you have to slam the room doors to shut them. This can be quite noisy in the early mornings / late evenings (by the way we had a room facing Union Square and the street noise was very low with the windows shut)
- breakfast is very simple (hit or miss) for example omelettes are good, pancakes and waffles are not so much
Next time I come to San Francisco I would definitely consider staying at the Chancellor again. Hopefully by then some of my suggestions will be taken on board so I can have an even more pleasurable stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The BEST LOCATION at the BEST PRICE...The Chancellor Hotel on Union Square is a historical, boutique hotel located in the heart of San Francisco where the Cable Car stops at the door step. Experience the best service and thoughtfull amenities while being surrounded by world class shopping, dining and theaters. From Union Square, ride the Powell Street Cable Car over Nob Hill, past Chinatown and North Beach, to Fisherman's Wharf. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Chancellor Hotel on Union Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chancellor Hotel San Francisco