“Great Location, Helpful Staff”

Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
Ranked #16 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
West Chester, PA
“Great Location, Helpful Staff”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

As you will see from other reviews, the rooms are not terribly large. However, the location is phenomenal and the staff very helpful. Steps from Union Square, easily accessed from Bart, three blocks from the start of the Powell St. Cable Car line, in the middle of the theater district. Easy check in, helpful tour desk. Also -- honest! My son inadvertenly left my wallet wide open on an unmade bed and left the room. When we came back the bed was made, the wallet replaced and everything was in it! Thank you honest housekeeper! (There are in room safes available.) We stayed on the back side, which eliminated street noise, but we had the white noise of the AC system from the hotel behind. Bed was comfortable and we slept well.

Room Tip: May want to ask for a room on the back side to avoid street noise. They provide earplugs.
Green Features: Very environmentally conscious... provide for sheet reuse and in room recycling bin.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,086)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
world citizen
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Can't add much to the knowledge base here you can glean from the many reviews; save for the fact that if you are not told about roof work and you are staying on an upper floor, expect to be loudly hearing everything that goes on on the roof.

I moved a floor down the next day and could still hear it, it sounded like it was still right above me. So, great charming hotel with fifty year veteran bell boy/grandpa, perfect location and wonderful service.

Just beware repair work, maybe inquire before you book. Cheers!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Divining_Rod
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Sorry about the roof repair. I was not aware of any roof repair going on back in November, but I am sure it is over by now where ever it was. However, people should be aware that there is always something being done around Union Square so there will be noise.
Braintree, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We arrived earlier than anticipated, but the girl who checked us in told us if we waited a little bit longer, we would be glad with the room we were pre-assigned. We trusted her and decided to relax at the intimate lobby bar. We were not disappointed with our decision. The room was bright, comfortable, and the bathtub (complete with its own "rubber ducky"!) was deep enough for a soothing bath after a long coast to coast flight with many changes! The next two days were spent exploring the city by cable car, bus, and even bicycles! Our favorite destinations were Fisherman's Wharf, The Mission District, and a free walking tour of the Victorian Homes, which begins at the corner of Union Square, closest to the hotel. Our favorite nighttime destination was "The Starlight Lounge", located across the street from the entrance to the hotel. They made the best "classic cocktails" we've had in a very long time! They also had an amazing view from their very popular dance floor, complete with DJ taking requests. It is a stellar location in SF, CA !!!

Room Tip: Trust the front desk clerks, they know best!
Green Features: The bathtub is big and deep enough for two! Twice the enjoyment and half the water!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BraintreeTravelers2
Irvine, California
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed here over a weekend and was very impressed with this hotel. I had requested a quiet room on a high floor which was exactly what I got as they put me on the very top floor and at the back of the hotel. The room was small but had everything I needed. Comfortable bed, and I loved the pillow menu, don't usually see that in a three star hotel. The bathroom was very small, but had a nice deep tub and I appreciated the big box of cotton wool and q-tips. The staff were very friendly and helpful and I loved the fact that they had apples and cookies on the front desk and free tea and coffee in the lobby. Had a drink in the hotel bar - good service, but not a lot of atmosphere. I didn't eat in the little restaurant so can't comment on that. The hotel is very well located being about 50 yards from union square, and a short walk to Chinatown, and the cable car stop is right opposite the hotel. There is no a/c in the room but there is a ceiling fan which was adequate for me in 70 degree temps, but I would be concerned if it was hotter.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mamakali
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Chancellor Hotel is located in the Union Square neighbourhood, which means guests are close to a shopping district that includes a convenient Walgreens, and a few blocks from the start/end point of the cable car. This is useful since lining up for the cable car at 7am is the best way to avoid the massive line up of tourists that form all day.

Initially, I was not impressed with our room. Our window faced the main street where the cable cars run, so ear plugs were provided in our room. The ear plugs also proved useful for blocking out the sounds of the TV next door. The room itself was quite small, and obviously still had the original plaster walls.

However, the hotel grew on me. The room was clean, as was the bed, which was comfortable. There was an empty mini fridge where we could store food we had bought from the Walgreens. I enjoyed the pillow menu, in which you can order special pillows like a down or buckwheat pillow, at no extra cost. There were plenty of electrical outlets and USB ports to charge up electronic devices at the desk. Also, they provided complimentary cookies and fruit flavoured water in the lobby.

This hotel is lower priced than others in the neighbourhood, so though their small rooms may look a little run down, they make the effort where it counts, and the result is a comfortable and well-located place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard on the lower floors will essentially have a view of three walls and very...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely little hotel with lots if charm.
The staff are friendly and helpful and the rooms are delightful. Location is excellent
The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that the towels are a little small but apart from that it is lovely.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank JulieMulie
I wish you would have said something about the towels. I would have run over to Macy*s and bought the biggest towels they have for that 5th dot!
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2014

After arriving at almost 1AM after many plane delays, I was delighted to be welcomed by my first name at the front desk. They were very helpful with check in, providing maps of the area (which who needs with smartphones) and answering any questions we had. I reserved a standard room which was a little small, but not too bad providing we weren't planning on staying in the room much, it was only for sleeping. The room was clean, and well appointed with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom also was small, but manageable. Being that I thought this was the best value on Union Square (1/2 other hotel prices) I could make due. Due to business meeting and wanting to enjoy Union Square, I asked for a late check out, which they granted (2PM) If I ever return to San Francisco, I will be staying here again, it was excellent for the price, location, etc.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business