“Charming Boutique Hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Fairfax, Virginia
“Charming Boutique Hotel”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This is a very nice boutique hotel. The employees were very nice and helpful. Our room was quiet, very clean and comfortable, except that we did get a little warm at night due to no air conditioning in the rooms. San Francisco was having a warm spell, so I don't think this is usually a problem, as they do have a ceiling fan. Breakfast isn't included, but there is an onsite restaurant that serves a very nice breakfast. They do provide fresh cookies, ice cold lemon water, apples, coffee and tea in the lobby, so you won't go hungry. There is also a small bar that has happy hour during the week.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MsParticular1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,093)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed for 3 nights. The hotel is in a good location in Union Square. You can hop on a cable car or walk down to Market Street to get the Muni trolley or train. Room was comfortable and staff was helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: This hotel has no air conditioning
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I can't imagine anyone having anything bad to say about this place! Some say the rooms are small and yes they are. But I dont know about you, when I am on vacation I dont hang out in the room.....I sleep & shower and on my way! The staff were all nice as could be, fresh coffee and lemon or cucumber water in lobby! Close to EVERYTHING! Will stay again if ever the chance.

And theres a pillow menu. Yes, a choice of pillows! I really have to find out where they get the buckwheat pillows because I haven't slept that good in years.

Oh, had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and it was really good too!

Room Tip: Get a higher level room if ya can. We were on 10th floor and slept well even with windows open.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ErikaRN
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
<<I can't imagine anyone having anything bad to say about this place! >>
While we are far from perfect, the World Wide Web is a funny place - Even the cutest cat videos will have snarky comments posted by people. As I look around The WWW, I am constantly amazed by the "Thumbs up" and "Thumbs down" on things. Nice stories and cute pictures about kids will get "thumbs down" and snarky comments. I don't get it either. Haters are going to hate.

What happened to: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?

ErickaRN-
We really appreciate your nice comments. I can't tell you...

Thank you and come back soon!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My husband and I stayed in room 1401 at the Chancellor this past weekend, and we couldn't have been more pleased. This place is definitely deserving of its high TripAdvisor ranking, and I think we've found our new go-to place in San Francisco. As a fellow General Manager of two boutique hotels in Seattle, I typically find myself to be overly critical. That being said, I don't have anything critical to say; it's all positive.

We arrived very early on Friday morning, and the front desk and bell staff were eager to get us through the pre check-in process to expedite things later for us; as well as to store our luggage until our room was available. We had utilized their iphone app, which allowed us to put in some same-day requests - we requested a high floor, with a queen size bed, and a view. Although we booked through an online travel company that doesn't guarantee room types or special requests, they accommodated all of ours. They even called us at 1:30PM to let us know that our room was available for check-in, even though their advertised check-in time isn't until 3:00PM. Every staff member that we encountered was hospitable and knowledgeable.

This isn't a 5 start hotel, nor is it advertised as such; this is a top notch 3 star hotel, at an amazing bargain, in a location that can't be beat. The cable car line and stops are literally steps from the entrance, making getting around the city a breeze. They even sell tickets/passes for the metro system in the hotel lobby. Our room overlooked Union Square from the 14th floor, and had windows that opened out onto a fire escape. It was never too noisy for us to sleep, but we did pack ear plugs in anticipation. For those with complaints about the noise, consider staying in a country-side bed and breakfast - this is the city! Although they don't have air conditioning (which they clearly advertise), but do have ceiling fans over the bed, we never found the room to be uncomfortable in temperature - and keep in mind that this is August in San Francisco we're talking about.

The rooms are on the smaller side, of which I was already aware having done appropriate advance research. Because of the high ceilings, they actually felt much larger than I anticipated - not claustrophobic at all. It was a perfectly comfortable size for two people. The room was immaculately clean - kudos to the housekeeping staff. The rooms have clearly been updated, and have a contemporary feeling that we very much enjoyed. The pillow menu is an interesting and unique touch - we tried the magnetic pillow as well as one with a speaker inside of it to hook a noise machine (or iphone - anything with a headphone jack, really) up to.

All in all, this was a fantastic experience and we can't wait to return. If any of the Chancellor staff's travels ever brings them to the Seattle area, we would love the opportunity to reciprocate. Please feel free to reach out to me anytime - bcarman@marqueen.com

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Brad C
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
There is only one type of person whose praise carries more weight than a really well traveled guest and that is fellow hotel manager. Of course, we value everyone's opinions, but this really, really means a lot to us. Thank you!
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I came for a three day conference visit to San Francisco and was given a nice room on the 14th floor with a view over Union Square and even part of the bay far away. Although earplugs were provided, given that this is the centre of a very busy city, I thought the room was very quiet at night. I even opened the window for extra fresh air as there was no air conditioning (only a fan) and had excellent sleep quality helped by the huge and very comfortable bed with a selection of different strength pillows. The room was not too big and really dominated by the bed, but unless you wanted to have a party or a committee meeting in it, it was perfectly fine and well equipped with plasma screen TV and most facilities a traveller may need including iron and board and even an umbrella, all located in a convenient walk in closet, thus making excellent use of the limited space. There was also free and fast wifi. The only slightly negative issue I would like to mention is that the shower could have been a bit more powerful. It was adjustable, but at times there was simply too little water pressure to drive it to my full satisfaction. A very good feature is that complementary (and very good) coffee, iced water and cookies are always available in the lounge making it possible for continentals to skip formal breakfast. Otherwise, there is no breakfast buffet but the restaurant has an adequate a la carte selection ranging from low impact fresh fruit to heavy duty breakfast burritos, which will keep you stuffed for the rest of the day. Altogether, when I come here for the next conference, this place will be my first call. It is very well located for the conference centre and also for many of the cities main attractions.

Room Tip: High up will be quieter and may give you nice views.
Green Features: very visible on paper but not sure that the towel I saved every day was not actually replaced anyway.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Xasgotan
Thank you very much. We look forward to serving you again during the next conference.

Sorry about the water pressure. Weak pressure can be a combination of room location and demand. We are actually looking at modifying our system - we just have to see if it is feasible.

Thanks again!
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for three night last week.It is the most reasonably priced hotel that is so close to Union Square, literally on the cable car line.The facilities are first class, the rooms are small but very well equipped, the beds are the best I have ever slept in!!! Ok sometimes it can be a bit noisy, but you can put up with that because of it's great location.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AnneUK1954
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Really enjoyed my stay. My room was on the 12th floor facing the street and was probably the quietest hotel room I have ever stayed in--and I have stayed in many. Not sure why that is the case but it was. Bed very comfortable and the room was clean. I liked the character of the room--very American West Coast! Would recommend. Given the season I thought the room rate represented good value.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the view from an upper floor
Green Features: They are keen to encourage good practices by providing re-cycling bags in the room
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Stefan C
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you very much. Being a good value is the most important thing. It is the sum of service, product and quality compared to parting with one's hard earned money. We strive for it to be an uneven trade in the guest's favor.

I am glad they found the room so quiet. Funny thing...I guarantee that is the same room that others have said was so noisy they will never come back to the Chancellor.