“Great location, lovely hotel!”

Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
Ranked #18 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Located right in union square, the location really cannot be better. It is close to all the action and easy to move around. We had an issue with our first room. There was a chip out of the base of the bath which wouldn't have been a huge issue if we weren't travelling with two very young children who needed to be bathed so i phoned reception and they were able to relocate us to a new room. They were kind enough to even give us a room that had a bit more space for us to be comfortable. This hotel is not a modern hotel, it has charm. IT really has lots of charm, they had treats for the kids (and adults alike) in the foyer. The kids loved the warm popcorn! Its the small touches that really make this a wonderful place to stay! Also, i left my toiletry bag hanging on the back of the bathroom door and it wasn't until we had arrived and unpacked in Washington DC that i realised and i was devastated. I rang the hotel with little hope of ever being reunited with it, but alas, it had been found and handed in and they kindly shipped it to our next hotel! HOWS THAT FOR SERVICE!! Loved this place! Thank you, we'll be back!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

One of the things I am most proud of...our Lost & Found Department. Thank you!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,358)

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Enjoyed the location, right off Union Square. Good to be able to pop back for coffee, cookies and fruit which were available in the lobby at all times. Staff extremely helpful and friendly. Very good room (no air con but fan did the job) and I liked the little walk-in wardrobe to store your stuff and keep the room tidy. Would recommend.

Room Tip: Nice views from higher rooms
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Located in the heart of San Francisco by Union Square, easy access to cable car, shopping, restaurants, museums. BART is just a few blocks away for fast and cheap transport to either Oakland or San Francisco airports. This is an older boutique hotel with nicely furnished rooms. While there may be swankier hotels in San Francisco that cost at least $100 more per night, I'd rather take my money shopping or to a restaurant. This is the 2nd time I've stayed at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This is a very nice boutique hotel. The employees were very nice and helpful. Our room was quiet, very clean and comfortable, except that we did get a little warm at night due to no air conditioning in the rooms. San Francisco was having a warm spell, so I don't think this is usually a problem, as they do have a ceiling fan. Breakfast isn't included, but there is an onsite restaurant that serves a very nice breakfast. They do provide fresh cookies, ice cold lemon water, apples, coffee and tea in the lobby, so you won't go hungry. There is also a small bar that has happy hour during the week.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MsParticular1
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed for 3 nights. The hotel is in a good location in Union Square. You can hop on a cable car or walk down to Market Street to get the Muni trolley or train. Room was comfortable and staff was helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: This hotel has no air conditioning
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I can't imagine anyone having anything bad to say about this place! Some say the rooms are small and yes they are. But I dont know about you, when I am on vacation I dont hang out in the room.....I sleep & shower and on my way! The staff were all nice as could be, fresh coffee and lemon or cucumber water in lobby! Close to EVERYTHING! Will stay again if ever the chance.

And theres a pillow menu. Yes, a choice of pillows! I really have to find out where they get the buckwheat pillows because I haven't slept that good in years.

Oh, had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and it was really good too!

Room Tip: Get a higher level room if ya can. We were on 10th floor and slept well even with windows open.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ErikaRN
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

<<I can't imagine anyone having anything bad to say about this place! >>
While we are far from perfect, the World Wide Web is a funny place - Even the cutest cat videos will have snarky comments posted by people. As I look around The WWW, I am constantly amazed by the "Thumbs up" and "Thumbs down" on things. Nice stories and cute pictures about kids will get "thumbs down" and snarky comments. I don't get it either. Haters are going to hate.

What happened to: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?

ErickaRN-
We really appreciate your nice comments. I can't tell you...

Thank you and come back soon!

Reviewed 14 August 2014

My husband and I stayed in room 1401 at the Chancellor this past weekend, and we couldn't have been more pleased. This place is definitely deserving of its high TripAdvisor ranking, and I think we've found our new go-to place in San Francisco. As a fellow General Manager of two boutique hotels in Seattle, I typically find myself to be overly critical. That being said, I don't have anything critical to say; it's all positive.

We arrived very early on Friday morning, and the front desk and bell staff were eager to get us through the pre check-in process to expedite things later for us; as well as to store our luggage until our room was available. We had utilized their iphone app, which allowed us to put in some same-day requests - we requested a high floor, with a queen size bed, and a view. Although we booked through an online travel company that doesn't guarantee room types or special requests, they accommodated all of ours. They even called us at 1:30PM to let us know that our room was available for check-in, even though their advertised check-in time isn't until 3:00PM. Every staff member that we encountered was hospitable and knowledgeable.

This isn't a 5 start hotel, nor is it advertised as such; this is a top notch 3 star hotel, at an amazing bargain, in a location that can't be beat. The cable car line and stops are literally steps from the entrance, making getting around the city a breeze. They even sell tickets/passes for the metro system in the hotel lobby. Our room overlooked Union Square from the 14th floor, and had windows that opened out onto a fire escape. It was never too noisy for us to sleep, but we did pack ear plugs in anticipation. For those with complaints about the noise, consider staying in a country-side bed and breakfast - this is the city! Although they don't have air conditioning (which they clearly advertise), but do have ceiling fans over the bed, we never found the room to be uncomfortable in temperature - and keep in mind that this is August in San Francisco we're talking about.

The rooms are on the smaller side, of which I was already aware having done appropriate advance research. Because of the high ceilings, they actually felt much larger than I anticipated - not claustrophobic at all. It was a perfectly comfortable size for two people. The room was immaculately clean - kudos to the housekeeping staff. The rooms have clearly been updated, and have a contemporary feeling that we very much enjoyed. The pillow menu is an interesting and unique touch - we tried the magnetic pillow as well as one with a speaker inside of it to hook a noise machine (or iphone - anything with a headphone jack, really) up to.

All in all, this was a fantastic experience and we can't wait to return. If any of the Chancellor staff's travels ever brings them to the Seattle area, we would love the opportunity to reciprocate. Please feel free to reach out to me anytime - bcarman@marqueen.com

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Brad C
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

There is only one type of person whose praise carries more weight than a really well traveled guest and that is fellow hotel manager. Of course, we value everyone's opinions, but this really, really means a lot to us. Thank you!