“The Chancellor Hotel- A Home Away From Home!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
Ranked #13 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Copper Cliff, Canada
“The Chancellor Hotel- A Home Away From Home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2009

I had the absolute pleasure of staying at the Chancellor from March 15 to the 19th. I had initially booked the hotel based on the rave reviews that I read on Trip Advisor. The hotel (and restaurant!) lived up to the positive reviews in so many ways. From the moment I registered, I felt like I was staying somewhere special. My room was adorable, fresh, clean and had a fabulous view of Union Square. The location was just fantastic and the sound of the cable cars going by was such a treat. More than anything though, the people at the Chancellor made the experience so delightful. The bellhop who brought up my bags was an affable guy named Matt who made me laugh. I had stayed at a much more impersonal hotel the night before so I really needed to giggle! :) For two mornings, I ate in the hotel restaurant and was served by an extremely kind gentleman. I wish I could remember his name! He was off on the Wednesday and Thursday mornings and I really missed his big smile and friendliness. The food was scrumptious!!! The banana pancakes withe the praline syrup was the best meal I had during my entire trip! Lawrence the bellhop was a sweetheart as well. I told him that I would post a review on Trip Advisor and mention how cute he was. :) There was also a very kind electrician working at the hotel and we had a lovely conversation about the Ferry Building. I was travelling alone and it meant so much to be surrounded by so many wonderful people. The bottle of wine, 2 glasses and the picture frame were such lovely gifts. Thank you! I travel often and have stayed at many hotels. My time at the Chancellor was so delightful and has set a new bar for other hotels to try to beat. Believe me, I do not see that happening any time soon. My time in San Francisco was phenomenal and my stay at the Chancellor Hotel was perfect!!!

:) Dawn Hattie :)

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank MissDHappy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,056)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2009

This hotel was very clean, nicely updated and the staff were friendly and very efficient. Generally, when I travel, the hotel needs to be a good place to sleep. As long as the window was closed, we heard very little noise from the street below. I tend to find I get warm at night without a window open, but we used the ceiling fan to cool us off, which worked fine. The rooms are small (this was not an issue for us), but the recent renovations make it feel clean, modern and fresh. My only complaint was a rare burger from room service, when I asked for well done and the internet on the TV was too slow to check on the status of our flights or email. This would not stop me from staying there again however.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank EvaMcVancouver
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2009

Stayed here after reviews on TA. Worth it. Great location and the rooms were not bad. Decent size. was only here for 1 night but would stay again

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dp123
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2009

Let's see...

Great location
Friendly and helpful staff
Nice-sized room with comfortable bed and linens with a flat screen TV
Clean bathroom with huge tub
Reasonable rates
Restaurant for breakfast and lunch with the best club sandwich ever

What more can you say???

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank flaguy
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this review, 24 March 2009
I think you said it all!
Aussie on Holiday
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2009

Thanks to Tripadvisor, We decided to stay in the hotel after many reviews. We choose this over Diva, and I am so glad we did. The LOCATION and the Price is FANTASTIC.

We went to San Fran for the first time, and want a handy place to stay. SO you have Chancellor Hotel!! You walk out, and there's the Cable car + shopping, bus stops, restaurants and entertainment. One of the best value for money hotel i have ever stayed in.

The hotel is beautiful and charming. Very clean and friendly staff. Love it. Highly recommended and will definately stay there again and again.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CaptnToby
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2009

I have just returned from my honeymoon and we spent the first 8 nights at The Chancellor. We got a warm friendly greeting from the staff and they were very helpful during our stay. Our room was gorgeous. Lovely decor and a fantastic view over Union Square. The location just can not be beaten. We had a lovely bottle of champagne and a gift in the room which was such a lovely touch.
I really can not fault this hotel. We had a brilliant stay there. I loved the little touches like the sweets in the room, and tea and coffee always available along with the yummy cookies at reception. If you are looking for a great hotel in a convenient location in San Francisco that doesn't cost the earth, you can't go wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jcm1
Menlo Park, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2009

Yes, this is an old hotel and rooms are small, heater sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. But hotel is well maintained and have a very attentive staff.
Rooms are cozy, very clean, furnished good and as a bonus you are getting a big walk-in closet which is very nice as you can hide all your luggage there.
We used the "parking package" and it was a big relief in SF. If you're coming in a car it's a no brainer. Valet service ($6 extra) was very convenient, they say that it takes 20-30 minutes to bring your car to the hotel but in reality it usually takes 10-15.
Hotel is pretty noisy due to being old and being on a Union square. We were on 11th floor and probably higher floors are more quiet.
Location is superb, especially for a shopper.
Alreay booked a next stay there.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple