“Great location for a charming hotel”

Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
Ranked #14 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Singapore, Singapore
“Great location for a charming hotel”
Reviewed 23 July 2009

Really nice room, with character, but like real character - as in rooms were quaint and pretty, and not character as in grimy. Location was awesome, right on Union Square, close to everything, including those trams that would take you everywhere. Windows were soundproof enough that noise from outside wasn't a problem at night. Front desk was very courteous and helpful, housekeeping was prompt. The pillow options were a great touch, so were the free local phone calls. All in all very good place for it's price. I paid around USD$100 per room per night.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Milolicious

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,099)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Holden, MA
Reviewed 22 July 2009

Terrific location, very classy, yet reasonably priced. This is a super clean, very comfortable, and appealing hotel that was a joy to stay in. Inside, you have simplicity, a fine home-base feel, and understated elegance; outside, you step directly into the pleasurable bustle of the city. The hotel is surprisingly quiet, given its location in the heart of the action and directly on the cable car lines. The handsome overhead fan is entirely sufficient for this naturally ocean-cooled city. Adjacent to the lobby, with its free coffee, cookies, and tea anytime, is an excellent breakfast and dining room with friendly service. You can walk to many of the prime locations and easily take the nearby public transportation everywhere else. Free access to a nearby health club (with weight machines and lap pool) completes a virtually perfect picture. Prices may vary by night of stay (we actually paid less on the weekend).

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Clarinetguy
SIloam Springs, AR
Reviewed 14 July 2009

We stayed here for a week on our honeymoon and it was WONDERFUL! Yes the rooms are smaller, but there was a HUGE closet! There was plenty of room for our luggage and all the shopping bags we accumulated. I love the way they were decorated, it was so cheerful. I never tried the pillow menu, there were 5 pillows on our bed when we arrived and that was enough:) Our room looked out over the square, it was beautiful at night! We never took a cab, just walked everywhere and then got on the BART to get back to the airport. It was really easy to get around. We are planning to go back for our one year anniversary, we loved it!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Clovejstone
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Reviewed 8 July 2009

This is my first time to San Francisco. I booked this hotel online, through the Chancellor Hotel website, and I selected a daily rate that included a food/beverage meal credit. After I booked, I read some poor reviews on this site, but didn't really pay much attention.

First of all, this hotel couldn't be in a better location! it is right on Union Square, the cable car goes right in front of this hotel. There is shopping and dining everywhere. It is very easy to get to the Fisherman's Warf etc.

The room I have (9th floor) was exactly as I saw the photos on the website, right down to the paint color. I have a room with 1 double bed. I think most people consider this room to be small ONLY because it has 1 bed, and not 2 beds. I guess its kind of small, but certainly not uncomfortable. I take cruise vacations all the time (2 or 3 times per year) and this hotel room is HUGE compared to a cruise cabin! ha ha I have plenty of room here to get around, there's even a nice desk where I work at my laptop (I also LOVE that there's free WiFi here - which is one of the reasons why I selected this hotel to begin with) and a lovely sitting area with 2 chairs & a small table.

I haven't heard any strange noises, am not kept up at night and I wouldn't even know that there were other people on my floor unless I saw them on the elevator.

I got great service at the front desk. I think the breakfast food in the Lougues restaurant is great, although the first day I ate there the service was VERY SLOW but that's only because it was busy. The lobby lounge is only open 5pm to 930pm, which isn't very long opening hours, but I managed to find a nice lounge close by to enjoy after dinner drinks with friends.

I definitely recommend this hotel. Great value, fantastic location, very clean and comfortable. I have recommended this hotel to a group of approx 40 friends coming here for a reunion in September and I would recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
5 Thank Pamarama1
Belgium
Reviewed 7 July 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel in the beginning of May. It was amazing. The rooms are very clean, the beds are super confortable, we requested a high floor, so we did not have any noise. The location is marvellous. There is a cable car stopping juest in front of the hotel. The staff is very friendly and helpfull, they will try to help you in any way possible. I have worked in a hotel in Belgium myself for 1.5 years and must say there is nothing bad about this hotel. My compliments to management and staff.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Silke_1
Luxembourg
Reviewed 5 July 2009

We searched through numerous hotels in San Francisco and decided to take a risk on this one based on some poor reviews. We were not disappointed by this hotel at all.

We booked directly through the hotel website because we found a deal that included secure parking with in-and-out privileges. This combination was much cheaper than other hotels.

Reception: Staff were exceptionally friendly and had no problem getting us a room at the back of the hotel which was very quiet. We were also allowed to park at the front of the hotel on check in for 30 mins which gave us a few minutes to relax before checking out San Francisco

Room: Excellent room, very modern interior and was spotless.

Location: On Union square so it is impossible to be more central. There are numerous bus tours departing 2 minutes walk away from the hotel.

Parking: Secure parking provided a 5 minute walk away from the hotel.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel as it was approx. one third of the cost of similar hotels in the area and from our perspective we could not fault it.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PMaloney
ireland cork
Reviewed 1 July 2009

Hotel is in the heart of union square, Reception staff are all smiles and helpfull,
we found our room suitable size, NOT tiny. Allso some people said the walls
were thin and you could hear from the ajoining rooms, we found our room nice
and quiet. (room 1001) Yes there is NO modern air-conitioning units installed, but
there is a huge ceiling fan which is very effective and quiet. and kept our room cool,
temp during our stay was in high 80. Rooms are kept very clean to high standard,
you can also have a choice of about 12 differant types of pillows, Also in room is a
modern flat screen tv, safe, iron, table, two chairs, YES bathroom is small but you
wont be spending all your time in there (will you ! ) And yes you can take the DUCK !
Their is lots of restaurants near the hotel, for breakfast we went to Sears next door and
allso went into the chancellors restaurant (LUGUES) both very good , Also try the cheesecake factory in Macys for breakfast, lunch, or dinner very good , expect a 15 to 20 minute wait at max. Also in reception you can obtain free coffee, cookies, apples, newspapers, and internet. Outside the hotel the cable car stops so if your going up to
fishermans walf get on the one which says (POWELL MASON )cost is $5 per person per oneway trip, or you can get three day pass fom inside the hotel (TOUR DESK)
We could not fault this reasonable priced hotel and would be happy to return someday
thanks tom.