Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
Grand Hyatt San Francisco(San Francisco)
  • Breakfast included
5,434 results
All reviewspillow menutour deskcable carrubber duckunion squarefree cookiesgreat locationceiling fanbath saltsrooms are smallwalk in closetpowell stno air conditioningour honeymoonmuni passcharming hotelan older hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 February 2010

My partner and me stayed at The Chancellor from 9 - 20 Feb.

Location wise, the Chancellor was absolutely fantastic. Just minutes away from the main shopping area and with the cable car stop right outside, we were able to get to most of the must-see destinations and do our shopping easily. Even when we needed to take the buses, it was very convenient as the bus stops were within walking distance (five minutes on average).

However, do note that as the hotel has rather thin walls so you might occasionally be awakened at night if other guests return late at night and make lots of chatter in the common corridor way. We were aware of the thin walls from previous reviews so we were prepared for it. There were a few nights when other guests came in late at night and we were woken up by the chatter.

There were previous reviews about the room being small but it was good enough for us. The closet room was big enough for 2 our big suitcases. There was a safe deposit box in the closet room as well. Hot coffee, teas and cookies available 24 hours at the lobby. The tea selection is quite good.

For those who want to explore the city and beyond, you definitely have to speak to Susan from the Tour Desk. Susan is a GEM! She is a friendly lady who always smiles and greeted us everytime we passed by her when we headed out. She is very knowledgeable on the tours and will help you to book tours to Monterey Bay, Yosemite, Napa Valley and many others. We signed up for almost all the tours available and had a fantastic time.

The customer service at Chancellor Hotel before we arrived were splendid. My gf keyed in the wrong expiry date for our credit card during reservation and Mike McConnell (reservations agent) helped to rectify it very quickly. As we were staying for more than 10 days, we requested for a high floor room with a view of Union Square. Mr. Kevin Vossen (reservations manager) was superb in answering all our enquiries via email before our arrival and did helped to arrange a high-floor room with excellent view of Union Square for us!

Unfortunately, our final day stay was marred somewhat by some hiccups. We were woken up at 7:30am twice by phone calls from the front desk who mistook us as the ones who had an airport pickup at that time. We checked with the front desk after we woke up and found it strange as the guest who arranged for the pickup had a totally different surnname from ours. We were quite disappointed as the staff didn't make any apologies for their mistake. This is strange as they are in the service industry.

A second hiccup followed later in the afternoon. We had earlier twice informed and confirmed with the front desk during arrival and also the day before our check-out that we will be extending our check-out time to 4pm and were well aware that we will be paying extra for the late checkout. While we were catching on our sleep (having been woken by the front desk in morning at 7:30am), we were woken up again at 2pm by the front desk telling us it's time to check out.

These are just minor issues but it's good to note as guests will still review the hotel based on overall experience. Other than this, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the Chancellor and will definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank luffsnoopy
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2010

First, let me apologize for the hiccups. I am sorry about our sloppiness. I don't know what happened, but I can promise that I will be speaking with the front desk staff about being more careful when calling people early (or late for that matter) for things. I will also reiterate that when we make a mistake, the very least we can do is say we are sorry. I will also work on our internal communication so we aren't calling people about things we have already been told. I appreciate the comments. We will work on these things.

I am glad that over all it was a good stay and you would stay with us again.
Thanks!

Reviewed 24 February 2010

Have stay in plenty of downtown hotels, the Chancellor is at the top of the list.

I email the hotel in advance for a rate and booking, Wes the Manager himself emailed me back to say all was in order and room confirmed. I got the room I asked for (low and to the front) without fuss. Better hotel than many who charge two or three times the price.

Helpful staff, clean rooms, good price, good location, no reason to stay anywhere else. My girlfriend already wants to stay there on our next visit.

Thankyou Wes and staff.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bam1748
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2010

You're very welcome!

Reviewed 24 February 2010

Old, but really well maintained. Spotlessly clean, rooms are small but not cramped and the location can't be beaten! Friendly, helpful staff.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sellerina
Reviewed 23 February 2010

Chancellor provides good service and excellent location with a modest price. Breakfast was a bit pricey but otherwise excellent order-from-menu type cafe. In Feb time quiet and nice although very near to Market Street and Union Square shops & restaurants.
O.K. Finland

2  Thank oz666
Reviewed 23 February 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Chancellor in mid-February 2010. Just 4 or 5 blocks up Powell from the Powell St. BART station, the Chancellor was easy to find. Our room was ready for us even though we checked in at noon. The room was modern, very clean, quiet and reasonably sized. The staff were helpful, and the free coffee and cookies in the lobby were great after a day of sightseeing in the cold. You just can't beat the value of the Chancellor in San Francisco.

The location is ideal for seeing the major sights and you don't need a car to see 'em. We walked to Chinatown and North Beach but if you don't feel like walking we discovered the #30 bus on Stockton will take you to Chinatown, North Beach, Fisherman's Wharf, the Palace of Fine Arts and the marina green on it's route. Jump on any Powell St cable car heading up the hill just outside the lobby, and arrive at Fisherman's Wharf in style and grab an Irish coffee at the Buena Vista right at the end of the Powell/Hyde St line.

We had a terrific stay and I will definitely return here again and would not hesitate to recommend this fine hotel to my friends considering traveling to San Francisco.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple