“Fantastic location,price and service”

Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
Ranked #15 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
ennismore
“Fantastic location,price and service”
Reviewed 22 November 2010

The location is perfect, and the price is great for downtown San Francisco. The room is smallish but not a problem at all. The ceilings are high and it has a ceiling fan. The bathtub was large and comfortable. The bed was great. I found the sheets uncomfortable(scratchy)the first night, when I mentioned it to the front desk they were changed and I was very satisfied. It is very helpful that you can rent a car and/or buy a MUNI pass all in the hotel lobby.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jwj0909

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,069)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
UK
Reviewed 20 November 2010

First class location in heart of San Francisco. Rooms adequate in size but certainly not large. Standards of cleanliness were OK. Staff friendly.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this review, 21 November 2010
I have just got to say that the ratings by this person are all way too low if they believe we have a GREAT location and "the hotel does what it says on the tin."

If we only delivered on what we say, that should be at least average, but many would argue that just doing that would make us very good. AND, when you put a great location on top of it, we are at least very good - if not excellent.
Indianapolis
Reviewed 19 November 2010

I just returned from a five-night stay at the Chancellor and found it absolutely perfect. I am astonished at the review that said she had a horrible bed - we had one of the BEST beds we've ever slept in at a hotel. The location is perfect for access to Union Square, the BART, the cable cars, and there are lots of wonderful restaurants in the area. The entire staff was very helpful, remembering us by name, and doing everything they could to be of assistance (making dinner reservations, looking up BART departure times, getting us a cab, etc.). They provided a mini fridge to our room upon request too.

Some may comment on the smallish room and bathroom, but we found it to be more than adequate - and about the size of nice hotels in Europe. If you want to pay extra to say in a suite, fine - go for it. We didn't need air conditioning in November and found the overhead ceiling fan and open windows more than adequate. And our room (909) was incredibly quiet. NO street noise other than the occasional cable car.

I can't say enough good things about this hotel and I will definitely recommend it to all of my friends - and should I ever return to San Francisco, this is the only place I'll consider staying. The Chancellor made my trip to San Francisco absolutely wonderful. Thank you!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank CardinalsLady
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 November 2010

You can't beat your first night ever in the States! Shell shocked, jet lagged? Stay here and feel welcomed. A great plus was the family atmosphere, by that I mean I felt like a part of the family. The rubber ducky is a nice touch as so many say, but the Irish bar tender and added booze made me fell very welcolmed at the small bar. He actually ran out onto the street to return my forgotten coat when I had left it behind!!! As an iside, the restaurant next door won't disappoint. Having swatted up on San Fran watching 'The Birds' it was so cool to be staying so close to the opening scene! I would recommend this hotel to anyone who would like to be central, with no bother, and a friendly smile. My only negative is that I did not meet the manager who writes decated responses to the dastardly comments on here, he seems like a real card!!!

• Stayed October 2010
Oh, I am a real card alright... unfortunately, it's a Joker!

Thanks.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 November 2010

A wonderful hotel, great location in a safe, CLEAN area near everything from great restaurants to shopping to public transit to tour starting points. The room was lovely & very clean. Room Service for breakfast (on my birthday) was wonderful.
We asked the concierge for a restaurant recommendation and he seemed to know minute details of nearly every place in the city and we ended up at a great French place 5 minutes away. Would definitely go back to the Chancellor!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Saint Joseph, Missouri
Reviewed 17 November 2010

You can't put a price on the history of the Chancellor hotel and surrounding area. The cable cars run right in front of the hotel and you are in easy walking distance of Union Square and tons of restaurants and rental car locations. Starbucks across the street is handy as well. Very nice!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
St. Joseph
Reviewed 15 November 2010

On our Babymoon to San Francisco, we had a fantastic time considering I was 28 weeks pregnant. You literally cannot beat the location of the Chancellor Hotel, but be prepared for horrible beds and rude staff. The lady in the lobby (can't remember her name) who helps you with attractions was the best though! It was a mixed bag, but considering the price and value I'd stay there again...

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this review, 16 November 2010
I don't know what to say. I am sorry they felt we were rude and the beds were uncomfortable. I wish I knew the room number or details of the rudeness. That way, I can try to do something about it. Without those details, I have to assume they are in less than 1% that just wont be happy with us no matter what. However, I think if they try some of the other 3 star hotels in town, they will appreciate us more.

For those of you out there in TripAdvisor Land looking to stay at a hotel, if you are not happy with anything, please let the hotel know. I can promise that at the Chancellor, we will bend over backwards to make you happy. Any good hotel will. In this case, we could have moved rooms or moved beds or found them a better hotel and they would pay nothing at the Chancellor since they were unhappy.