“Swell time on our anniversary...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
Ranked #13 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Napa, California
“Swell time on our anniversary...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2010

We liked this cute hotel. Our room was "smallish", but spotless, featuring a very comfortable bed, plenty of pillows(hurray!), and enough room for two people to move around.

We selected this hotel online, mostly because it featured discounted parking and was right on Union Square. We don't regret our choice. The only downside for us was the spotty availability of hot water for tea in the lobby. We missed having a microwave or a coffeemaker in the room to make getting hot water more convenient.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,058)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Berkhamsted
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2010

We stayed here for three nights as part of our honeymoon and we were delighted to find chocolates, a present and a bottle of wine waiting for us when we checked in ! We had a room on one of the higher floors (17th perhaps ?) and we had a view of Union Square from the window.

The location is fantastic, with the cable car running to Fisherman's Wharf, just outside the hotel door and large department stores such as Maceys within five minutes walk. The bed was extremely comfortable and the decor and furniture in the room was tasteful. Some may think the rooms are on the small side, but maybe because we are from Europe and have different expectations we found the room size perfectly adequate.

We enjoyed a drink (or was it five?...) at the small bar on the second night and found Rory the barman to be a perfect host.

We ate breakfast most mornings in the hotel restaurant and the service was good. The hotel offers some dicount vouchers for both the restaurant and bar when you check in. Suzy on the Tour Desk was extremely helpful and pleasant.

Overall we really enjoyed our visit to San Francisco (see my review of green Dream Tours also) and we intend to visit again, but for a longer holiday. I will certainly book the Chancellor again.

Birch Bay WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2010

My husband and I stayed over Thanksgiving weekend! My husband booked the trip. I had some reservations about the hotel because, it was quite inexpensive. But, then I read the reviews which, were very positive. The hotel is in the heart of the CIty, on Union Square. Eventhough, it was very busy on the street, once you walked in to the hotel it was quiet, clean, cozy, and welcoming. Everybody that worked at the hotel was very helpful, nice, and unpretentious. The pillow menu was a really, unique and nice touch as was the, rubber ducky. The decor in the rooms was simply chic. The bed and pillows were very comfortable! The walls were a little thin but, we slept just fine! I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to San Francisco.

Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2010

You can't beat the locale if you want to be in the heart of SF. Great for shopping but with the location comes a lot of people and noise. Not my idea of an R&R destination.
The room was small and rather worn. Mattress was not comfortable. Heat was from a portable plug-in heater.
No onsite parking, parking is one block away and + $25/night. not out of line for the area
Have stayed at other boutique hotels in the area a few blocks from Union Square which offer more in terms of space, room quality and in a relaxed atmosphere at similar price.

1 Thank Stephen_301
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this review, 6 December 2010
We definitely have a great location right on Union Square in the heart of the city. Thank you. However, when one stays in Union Square, the premier shopping district, during the peak shopping season, R&R is not what it is all about. Actually, staying in the heart of the city is rarely a good idea for R&R in my opinion. Staying a few blocks from Union Square is a much better idea, but if R&R is the goal, I would stay out in the country side somewhere.

I would like to mention again that the Chancellor is almost 100 years old. Our heating system is a steam heat boiler. Honestly, not the most efficient heating system, but that is what we have. Each room has a radiator that provides the heat from the boiler. We also provide an ADDITIONAL portable heater in each room all the time. If that is not enough, we will provide as many heaters as someone wants. All they need to do is ask. Everyone has different temperature comfort levels, so in the seldom cases when the basic system does not satisfy someone, we have a supplemental option available.

I am sorry these folks were disappointed with us. We try and if someone gives us the chance, we will bend over backwards to make them happy.

For future guests: Please, if you stay with us, let us know if you are dissatisfied with ANYTHING. I promise we will do whatever we can to make it better.
West Chester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2010

We stayed at the Chancellor on the first night of our Honeymoon from Philadelphia. We arrived, the bellman took our bags from the car to the room, and we took advantage of the valet parking (it was only $5 more than self-park). When we got to our room, the hotel had left us with champagne and chocolates to help us celebrate!

The room itself was great – a nice view of the city, a choice of 13 varieties of pillows, and a concierge that helped us with spot-on directions to multiple city locations (including suggestions for city viewing). The bartender, Rory, was really friendly and helpful – giving us great suggestions for dining destinations in the Napa Valley. We had breakfast in the hotel the next morning – great as well. Given the value and location of this hotel, we would stay here during our next visit!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2010

A great hotel, no unnecessary frills, but full of thoughtful details. I loved the simple and elegant room decor-very tasteful. They had a "Pillow menu" and some of the best quality sheets I have ever slept in a hotel. It felt like home. Great location. Excellent service. This is what i would call a "Minded hotel", making sure all your needs are met. When ever in SF again, this is my home away from home.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2010

I booked the Chancellor Hotel when I decided to add 2 more nights to an already planned trip to San Francisco. I contacted the hotel directly and received a great rate.
I had a corner room on the 12th floor that overlooked Union Square. I had read the reviews of the Chancellor on here and was hoping it would live up to the hype. It did. I did not run into any employee who was not friendly or helpful. And they had answers for every question I asked about the hotel and the area.
My room was very nice. The bed was comfortable and I really liked the tiled bathroom. It's not a modern an new place, it's quaint and historic. I expected the room to be on the small side, but there was plenty of room to move around. And the closet was so big, you could change inside it! And in there was a safe, an electric radiator, an umbrella, an iron & board and extra bedding.
The first day I arrived, it was pretty warm. I just opened the window and turned up the ceiling fan and the room was quite comfortable. I even slept with the window open and the street noise did not bother me.
The free wi-fi was a plus. I did not go to the restaurant or bar. (only because I was not there too long)

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo