“Excellent architectural highlights of San Fran” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #56 of 285 Tours in San Francisco
Austin, Texas
123 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 170 helpful votes
“Excellent architectural highlights of San Fran”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

My wife and I recently had the pleasure of joining Rick on this tour. Rick is very knowledgeable and clearly loves to share his knowledge and insights with the group. The group was quite large on the day of our tour (~30) and I was concerned that Rick we would not be able to hear and this would be an unwieldy (unmanageable) size, but he was able to lead the group with ease and everyone was able to ask questions and stay engaged. The trip is short in duration, only about 2 hours, but Rick conveys a great deal of information, shows you many wonderful buildings (exterior and interior) while only walking a few blocks. Best of all he teaches you about many hidden aspects of San Fran architecture, history, and law (air space and privately owned, public open spaces aka POPOS).

Visited September 2013
1 Thank rustycat83

Camp Hill, United States
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Outstanding - Must Do Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

If you want to see and understand San Francisco's history and environment in a new way, this is the tour for you. In just under 2 hours we covered some of the most architecturally significant buildings in the city, plus saw some hidden public spaces that were absolute gems. We learned a lot about how the city was and is being developed from a knowledgeable advocate for preserving the city's past while welcoming and planning for the new. Highly recommended.

Visited August 2013
Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Surprising, interesting, entertaining - even for teens!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

We are a family of five with three older kids (19, 17, 14), and all of us LOVED this tour (despite some low expectations from at least one of the kids!). It was surprising, interesting and entertaining: surprising because of some of the spots we ended up in and the routes we took to get there; interesting because of Rick Evans's almost encyclopaedic knowledge of local architectural planning, and entertaining because it just wasn't a dry delivery of facts about buildings, nor was it a tour of the most obviously architecturally interesting buildings (so Transamerica Pyramid is not really featured, other than a brief reference to it). And as a bonus, you are left at the end with a lot of information, printed and weblinks, to enable you to keep entertaining yourself in the area by searching out more interest points. Brilliant!

OK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

Don't miss it. This is an excellent tour. I highly recommend it. It is both enjoyable and informative.
It is one of the best activities I've had on my various trips to San Francisco. I'd say go sooner rather than later, as some of the great classics of the financial district will inevitably disappear over time. See them now while you can! :D

1 Thank L A
Miami, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic & Unique, Great Guide, Great Stories!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

The San Francisco Architecture Walking Tour with Rick Evans is an excellent and informative tour with an extremely knowledgeable and articulate guide! I had no clue how much my husband and I would enjoy and appreciate this tour. Rick was able to open our eyes so wide, and give us amazing history, stories, future plans of San Francisco and the architecture of it's unique financial district. We had a large group but Rick keeps things moving and in order, he is a real pro! I felt the tour was the perfect length and I know I learned things about the area I NEVER would have known. He provides a great handout with the places discussed, and sends an email with links for information about many of the things he mentions. His stories are so valuable and truly truly need to be shared so this amazing history is not lost. One of the best stories was in regards to a blemish on a marble floor where an elevator man pivoted for years to direct people to the proper elevator. He is working on a plaque to mark the spot so it is not redone & lost. I hope he is successful...I would sign that petition! Also noticed locals on the tour and they seemed to be just as in awe as the rest of us out of towners. Thank you Rick for sharing these incredible historical stories!