“Top-notch tour of San Francisco!”

San Francisco Architecture Walking Tour
Ranked #66 of 296 Tours in San Francisco
Reviewed 26 April 2014

On my second visit to SanFrancisco, myself and my 3 travel companions were able to have a private tour with Rick. The time was so facsinating and the level of knowledge that was shared was second-to-none. I felt like I got an insider's look into the Financial District of SF and would love to go back again a seek out some of the hidden gems within this tour. What a great way to experience this vibrant city!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I was very impressed with Rick's tour. I didn't know anything about the great architecture in the Financial district. There is so much history there and hidden treasures. Rick told us about the popos (privately owned public open spaces) and took us to several of these. The recently renovated Hallidie Building is a jewel not to be missed. Rick left us with many additional resources to explore on our own. I highly recommend a tour with Rick. (I am a tour guide in Chicago)

Reviewed 1 April 2014

This was one of the best way to get to know San Francisco in personal level. I enjoyed the history of San Francisco which so many of them I have NO clue about. The architectures are so beautiful and remind me of Paris. The guide tour is very knowledgeable and attention to details. I wish I have more time to tour the whole city, everything so lovely to watch and learn about. We will be back in the city again soon.

1  Thank Relaxison99
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This was well and truly one of the best walking tour experiences… ever. And, it is the shame of data and algorithms that THIS isn't the top of the "things to do in SF" list.

Rick is extraordinarily affable, knowledgeable and, above all, passionate about his subject which is as much architecture, as it is urban planning, as it is public space.

And what is surprising, at first, about the tour, is that is about a 3-block radius. Very little walking for the faint of heart! However, Rick packs in both the information and history, as he does the vantage points and perspectives, making it feel like you've seen hundreds of buildings and spent four hours with him. And, the good news is that, by the end of the second hour, I could have gone two more!!

Second surprise is how rich SF is in 20th century architecture, not to mention architectural history firsts. So whether you're an architecture aficionado or not, seeing the real range of unique styles, firsts and surprises, and current development, makes for a very interesting experience for all.

And, best yet, Rick's "scavenger hunt" of public/private outdoor spaces makes this a tour that keeps on giving. You'll want to revisit the buildings he highlights, no doubt, but you can make a fun excursion for yourself by going to visit the many and varied hidden parks throughout SF.

This tour should be required for locals and visitors alike… because it is a real gem of a travel experience.

And, once you're hooked on Rick's charm and smarts, the good news is that you can join him on his Chinatown tour, which we look forward to doing the moment we are back in SF.

2  Thank Eduardo B
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Although it's called an "architecture" tour, it might be better described as an "urban planning" tour. Architecture is highlighted, but the tour really shines in its emphasis on the zoning, air rights, and other planning issues that explain the Financial District's urban context. Rick Evans is a fantastic guide and his tour is top-notch.

2  Thank ReadyForThisJelly