“Muir Woods and Sonoma day trip”

Incredible Adventures
Small-Group Yosemite Tour from San Francisco
Ranked #34 of 290 Tours in San Francisco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Incredible Adventures is an outdoor travel company specializing in tours from San Francisco to Yosemite National Park, Muir Woods, California's Napa and Sonoma Wine Country, and whitewater rafting on the American River. We've been offering travelers a safe, eco-friendly, reliable way to connect with nature since 1993, and our professional guides are experts in the destinations we visit throughout the Western United States. We strive to provide personal, unique experiences for our small groups (16 max). We accomplish this by creating relaxed, flexible itineraries for our tours, and by going the extra mile - both literally and figuratively - to assure an authentic view of the lesser-traveled roads and sights of our beautiful California countryside. We believe strongly in maintaining the wild lands and National Parks of California (and all over the world), and know that tourism can be a strong factor in whether these magnificent areas continue to thrive for future generations to enjoy. In order to minimize the environmental impact of our business on the destinations we visit, we operate our vehicles on sustainable, petroleum-free biodiesel fuel made from local recycled cooking oil. Our fleet is made up of 13-20 passenger mini-coaches which all run on B100! From the mild to the wild, in a day or overnight, in a hotel or at a campsite, escape to the great outdoors with Incredible Adventures!
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Muir Woods and Sonoma day trip”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

The van pickup was prompt and picked us up right at our hotel. Our driver was very knowledgable in regards to San Fran and the surrounding areas. Be sure to dress in layers if you travel in August to San Fran and Muir woods. I was freezing in shorts and jacket but I was still able to enjoy the beautiful trees. I will post some photos. We then warmed up as we were dropped in the town of Sonoma on our own after stopping at the Larsen Family winery. We had lunch at a little market which was off the beat and path. Picnic tables, grilled cheese and wine at an indoor spot. They even had a guitar singer. We walked in and out of stores until it was time to hit the wineries. The second winery after lunch was a small independent one where the wine tasted like vinegar. A family on our bus requested Napa so for our final winery we went Madonna winery. Great wine and presentation. Our purchased wines were shipped almost immediately to NJ because they were at our door waiting for us 4 days later. All in all, a great day. Worth the trip to see the huge trees!!!!!

Waco
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Muir Woods/Wine Tasting”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We had a fabulous time. Muir Woods was packed by the time we were leaving so we were happy that we went there early enough to enjoy it. Visited 4 wineries, all very different, and ate at a wonderful small place in Sonoma. It was the perfect way to experience Sonoma for the first time.

1 Thank John T
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fantastic Experience”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I recently went on a 2 day tour of Yosemite with tour guide and had a fantastic time. As a solo traveller, I was a bit nervous as to who else will be on the tour, but I couldn't have asked for a friendlier bunch of people. The tour itself was great, and saw all the mandatory highlights - El Capitain, Half Dome, Glacier point and the Sequoia groves to name a few, and some not so mandatory sights such as a rattlesnake!! Tim was excellent, giving us great information on the park and tips as to where to hike and what to see. The park was extremely busy being peak season, but we managed to see everything we wanted to, and the weather was perfect. We stayed at Cedar Lodge outside the park which was comfortable. After all the hiking during the day I just collapsed exhausted and really didn't pay much notice to the room! Breakfast was a buffet and perfectly adequate. The scenery is amazing and I would highly recommend Incredible Tours as a great way to navigate your way around.

california
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Muir Woods and Wine Tasting”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I did the Incredible Adventures tour with Tim our driver. It was nice to be picked up and dropped off at your hotel and not worry about wine tasting during the day relax and have a great time. We went to 3 Wineries, each one with a great presentation. We had some time in Muir Woods at the beginning of the day to enjoy the quiet of the majestic trees and finishing at the Golden Gate Bridge at the end of the day. Although the fog hardly lifted all day it is still a fantastic view. I would suggest when traveling to Muir Woods whether on the tour or not, if you are just wanting a glass of water (they charge 27 cents for the glass) be sure to take a empty bottle with you. There are also no lids on any of the drinks in the Woods, if you are the kind who prefers to have their drink contained, like me. The trip was very relaxed with a small group on board, lunch is on your own in Sonoma Square or what I think I wished I had done was get something quick and do some wine tasting around the town square, our entire time was taken up with a sit down meal. It was a very enjoyable day. Pick up was 8:30am and back to our hotel by 6:30pm

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Team Tim's Excellent Incredible Adventure!”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My wife and I this trip so much that I felt compelled to write my first Trip Advisor review which, due to the wit and creativity applied to the script, will undoubtedly be read and enjoyed by tens of thousands of people *coughs*

We travelled up the West Coast of the States and into Vancouver this year as our Honeymoon, and a little jaunt to Yosemite on a three-day camping tour was one of our plans for our time in San Francisco. We booked it well in advance and there were absolutely no issues in arranging this, staff were friendly and helpful and got back to us regarding our queries quickly. Value for money was excellent – it might seem expensive when you first look at the tours but they are most definitely worth it, I assure you.

Our tour was run by the particularly excellent Tim (I shan’t include his surname to respect his anonymity, but I can tell you it rhymes with fonzy), and his leading of the tour really made, what would be a good trip regardless, absolutely awesome. We happened to visit during a particularly severe drought in California which had led to a couple of large forest fires tearing through the park and as a result Tim found himself having to think on his feet several times with regards to certain things outside of his control (eg. roads being closed as we drove towards the park from San Francisco), but he handled all that was thrown at him (and there was a lot the first day) and managed to both keep the group entertained and informed. His geological, wildlife and history knowledge of the area was excellent and delivered at a level entertaining for both the adults and kids on the group.

The outings planned by Tim on each day were all excellent (and this is keeping in mind that he had to change original plans due to the forest fires). He assessed the fitness capability of the group well and pitched the level of hiking at the right intensity for everyone. The locations were excellent, the top of Vernal Falls was a rewarding vista to reach after a fairly strenuous climb, a lot of excellent photo-ops on route though. Strolling through Mariposa Grove surrounded by towering Giant Sequoia’s was also an unforgettable experience. Glacier point offered a fairly unparalleled view of the valley itself and close to here was a trail at Taft Point which would offer what was arguably the highlight of the tour – I’m not sure if this is visited by the tour as standard, or if it was picked out by Tim (he did state it was one of his favourite spots). Compared with the other locations which were unforgettable but also quite busy given their stature, Taft Point was a more tranquil and less trodden path. The scenery was beautiful, and the gentle trail led through forests (complete with frolicking deer of course, it was very considerate of Tim to arrange for deer to be doing this… I’m pretty sure it was him that did it) to the stunning fissures at Taft Point. A pretty magical place for the unspoiled views, and an excellent opportunity (if you dare) to have a little seat at the edge of a cliff towering above the valley floor. This would have been excellent enough on it’s own, but pair that with the fact we conveniently happened across a group of slack-liners, it became really special. Hundreds of feet up, these guys were just doing the usual – y’know, taking a little stroll across a bendy rope tied over a deep fissure. It was breathtaking.

The bus itself was very comfortable (and eco-friendly) and the journey which was pretty lengthy passed quickly thanks to the scenery on route itself, Tim’s explanations of the areas history and a couple of stop offs (one at an excellent little fruit stall – plenty of tasty snacks, try the dried chilli mango!).

The campsite we stayed at was good, with good facilities – access to a good-sized shop, indoor and outdoor pools, a good bar with nice bar-style food and a private beach on the riverside (ideal for an early morning swim… if you don’t mind the water being a little… um… crisp). The tents and base mats were comfortable and the sleeping bags which were provided for a fee were also suitable for the Yosemite evenings.

The food provided was also excellent, a good range of breakfast and lunch options and the meal prepped by Tim at the campsite was both tasty and healthy… the Smores were less healthy but equally enjoyable (and something I’d always wanted to try).

Evening’s at the campsite were pretty fun, sat around the campfire chatting or playing cards and enjoying a beer or soft drink – quite an excellent way to finish up a day of hiking around beautiful scenery.

Overall, the trip was arguably the highlight of our entire Honeymoon – thanks to Tim’s leading of the tour but obviously also down to the beauty of Yosemite itself. If you haven’t been, go. If you’ve been before, go again… but this time with Incredible Adventures… Go! Like right now. This instant. I mean it… why haven’t you left yet? What do you mean you’re reading to the end of the review? …I’m surprised you’ve persisted actually, you deserve kudos for that, I’ve rambled a lot.

Team Tim baby!