“Reasonable Location but missing some things”

Fairmont Heritage Place, Ghirardelli Square
Ranked #20 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed here in Nov 2013 and thought the concierge and front desk very accommodating. The were very quick to book tickets for Alcatraz, and they took us to and from restaurants in the complimentary car, often at very short notice.

The room was very nice (114), with a nice view out onto the Ghirardelli Square, and a side view of the ocean. Bed was super comfy.

The location was convenient for the piers and Alcatraz, plus it was close to the turnaround point for the trolley bus. (This is a fabulous trip to Union square for only $6).

My main problem was the lack of amenities - no gym, no pool, no spa, no bar to gather at night, no restaurants.

In addition, the water pressure in the shower was embarrassingly weak - come on, get this fixed as I expect a good pressure in a hotel of this caliber (and price). Nice shower cubicle though!

4  Thank spartaBristol
There are newer reviews for Fairmont Heritage Place, Ghirardelli Square

Reviewed 25 November 2013

it is a while ago since i stayed there. but i remeber the roams clean and the beds very comfortable! the hotel is well situated near the pear. the breakfast was very good :D the staff was friendly and the fitness good

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for about one week. When we arrived we were checked in immediately and given white glove treatment. We got a ride to the pier to catch a boat to alcatraz by the Fairmont Cadillac SUV. The room was great. Two big bedrooms with two bathrooms a lovely modern kitchen with a big dining room table and very nice living room. Three big screen TV and a ststereo system that was big enough to accommodate a nightclub. The concierge was top notch, always there to help us and suggest attractions. The location was amazing.If you are able to stay here, you must. The breakfast was very good but they need more tables to seat their gust without waiting. Don't get me wrong, if we had to wait for a table it was only five minutes or less but I do not like to wait.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 20 November 2013

When we checked in we were told they were working on our room and it would be ready in about an hour and they would call us as soon as it was ready. No call, checked back and the room would be ready for another hour. We are finally given our keys and walked to the elevator with directions on getting to our room. 35 minutes later I call down to see where the bags are the only apology I get is from the bellman when they are finally delivered. One bedroom suite was very nice, loved the fireplace and the view. Wine and cheese event was a joke. One small plate with 9 pieces of cheese, a small amount of a spread, two dried apricots and a small clump of grapes. This was for the entire event. Breakfast was a great surprise and very nice. All of the waiters, bellman and valets were great. The concierge and manager were sub par. Great location but not up to a Fairmont and most assuredly not worth the price.

7  Thank luchap
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 10 nights, 4-14 November 2013. We had a one bedroom apartment.

Let me first say, in spite of the 3 stars, that I really did enjoy staying here. Everything already said is true, so I won't repeat all that, except to say that the bed is probably the most comfortable I've ever slept in. So I'm going to preface my review by saying, I'd rather have a really comfy bed and wake up refreshed, that a sparkling room with an uncomfy bed.

I've given the Fairmont 3 stars due to the price they charge - we paid $599/night, and for that price, you just don't expect worn furnishings (as mentioned in the review below “Staff is Phenomenal, but suite had problems!”). Our bed base was peeling, and the cocktail table was scuffed and peeling. I felt this was unforgivable, given the price of the rooms.

On the whole, the staff was great, but housekeeping was iffy. In spite of leaving tips every day (which I thought was generous, given there were just two of us, and we were out most of the day, thus very little mess), we got home one day at 4.30pm to find our room had not been serviced, and we had to arrange for that to happen. On another night, we received no turn-down service. On a third day, it seems as if the duvet had just been hurriedly pulled up over the bed, and not much else done.

Minor annoyances for a room of this price:
- there only two hooks in the bathroom; the bathroom was quite large so there was plenty of space for rails or extra hooks.
- the water pressure in the shower (we did not have a bath in our room) was quite weak, and would wax and wane during the shower.
- the windows were modified so as only to open about 10cm. This was really annoying - we paid the extra for the fab view and my husband, an avid photographer, was frustrated about not being able to open the window to take pics. What's with that? Please, Fairmont, treat us like adults, we're not about to fall out the window!!

I have left the worst for last. The breakfast. On a good day, it was okay. But, on the third day, my husband fetched a couple of pastries to eat in our room to better enjoy our view. Except... well, please look at the photo I took. Is that mould on the pastry? They were both like that. I chucked them away, and I did not eat breakfast in the hotel again - especially since, the next night at the free cheese and wine, I picked up a couple of grapes and they were filthy. Like, dull until you wipe your finger over it and leave a clean, shiny streak behind. Surely they should have rinsed them first? So, feeling very dubious about the kitchen hygiene, I did not eat anything there again. This is not acceptable for an establishment of this calibre.

Without the stale pastry, I would have rated the hotel 4 stars. I did absolutely enjoy staying there, but I think that if they are not going to do the upkeep, they need to drop their prices accordingly. It is disappointing to expect luxury and walk in to see peeling furniture.

Room Tip: As everyone has already said, bay view is worth the extra.
5  Thank Tusabrat
Reviewed 12 November 2013

The apartment style suites are beautiful. Full kitchens including wine refridgerator. Full dining table, Fantastic music system. Gas Fireplaces. Very large balcony over looking the bay and the stores. The balcony even has a heat lamp for those cool evenings. There is a common second floor balcony with a fire pit for entertaining. Large bedroom off the living room with it's own door out to the balcony. Washer and Dryer are in the suite if needed.

Get to know the conceige. Anna was ours and she was wonderful. We asked for a reservation at an Italian restaurant that the locals go to. She hooked us up and we were delivered and picked up by the hotels complementry car service. The food and wine were great and we got back to the hotel early. The next morning we took the hotels complementry BMW bicycles for a ride over the Golden Gate bridge and back and then toured the waterfront. Thanks Anna, I hope you enjoyed the cheese cake!

Many top notch hotels are beautiful and well appointed. The proper training of the staff is expected at this price point. This location really made The Fairmont Heritage Place special.
We walked to the waterfront and sat in a piano bar, enjoyed the many shops (very touristy but who cares), enjoyed Alcatraz and the many dashing sailboats from our balcony and cherished the bike ride over the Golden Gate Bridge in the morning fog. The Golden Gate Bridge is a 15 minute ride by bike and there are dedicated bike paths the whole way there.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JDhappyfeet
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We spent 4 nights in a two-bedroom, two-bath suite. The hotel's location is perfect, the breakfasts fantastic, and the staff (concierge, doormen, butlers) were amazing! We especially appreciated Christina and Clay, and their friendly, efficient attention. The hotel car was a great amenity, and we used it a lot! We did feel, however, that our unit (115) was not in top-notch condition. The cocktail table in the living room (with leather/vinyl around the edges) was peeling, and the carpet in the second bedroom was filthy. In addition, the master bath smelled like mold/mildew. The water in the second bedroom shower never got hot, and we had to ask twice before it actually was fixed.

We enjoyed our stay, but we felt that for the suite should have been in better shape for the price paid.

4  Thank Andrea W